Blauds - "Big Ten, ACC? Why not UConn?" | The Boneyard

Blauds - "Big Ten, ACC? Why not UConn?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
His idea of balancing things out might not be all that well thought-out, (Georgia Tech?), but....

It's a New Jersey guy who covered Boston sports pointing out that our antagonists to the north and south have been complete tire fires athletically for a while now. And while none of the schools are football heavyweights, at least UConn brings something extraordinary to the table.

Partisans from both schools are invited to just lump it. I admire the ability of both to present spirited defenses of programs that don't merit their dedication, but you've all done it before and this isn't your thread - the home team will have a discussion without you for a spell.

Reaction Score
You pointed it out in a different thread but it should be said again. I get BC wanting to keep us out to an extent. The lawsuit, the harshwords, Blumenthal's rhetoric, etc. RU and SU fans sharing similar sentiments doesn't make sense to me. SU is hoping UConn becomes irrelevant, RU is I don't know what they're hoping for truthfully. I think they somehow think if UConn BBall fades they will emerge as Northeast BBall power.

None of those things make sense to me. BC is struggling with attendance big time. UConn games would get them sell outs for those games.

LIke you said other parts of the country live for local rivalries. Our nearby rivals just want UConn to wither away on the vine. Their desire to not want to compete is sad.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This is going to hit the fan soon. UCONN can not be continually shut out without something happening. UCONN basketball is the Elite program in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Is there any doubt that football can't be good in a better conference? I'm not saying National Championship good, just the level of good that we were in the Big East. That good is still MUCH better than anything RU or BC has done in the past decade.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Either the B1G would have to add UConn by itself, which I think the B1G would do if it was so inclined, or with Missouri. Missouri is the only candidate that remotely fits the big 10's profile and is not locked up with a GOR.

Reaction Score
You pointed it out in a different thread but it should be said again. I get BC wanting to keep us out to an extent. The lawsuit, the harshwords, Blumenthal's rhetoric, etc. RU and SU fans sharing similar sentiments doesn't make sense to me. SU is hoping UConn becomes irrelevant, RU is I don't know what they're hoping for truthfully. I think they somehow think if UConn BBall fades they will emerge as Northeast BBall power.

None of those things make sense to me. BC is struggling with attendance big time. UConn games would get them sell outs for those games.

LIke you said other parts of the country live for local rivalries. Our nearby rivals just want UConn to wither away on the vine. Their desire to not want to compete is sad.
A Rutgers-Penn State-Maryland-UConn corner of the B1G would be great for all involved. Penn State would clearly be the best...but those other 3 are nearly indistinguishable, and it would create rivalries quickly.

UConn has gotten great press, pretty much from the Madison Square Garden showing on. We need two things: 1) The NCAA to approve the proposal to eliminate the need for two equal divisions and 2) football to come through and win some games.

Reaction Score
someone will blink. don't underestimate the influence of kevin ollie. not only did uconn prove we are here to stay, but part of the changing narrative has to be how much easier it is for the nation to like these huskies and this coach. i heard bilas say that part of the reason why the acc didn't choose uconn the first time was because they felt they had time. uconn wasn't going anywhere and can be added later. well, one of these conferences will be proactive. maybe i am biased, but uconn is the holy grail in locking up the northeast. someone will blink.

Reaction Score
The ACC or B1G should add us now rather than wait while the whole world is impressed with our back to back National Championships. And ESPN should, along with UConn, be willing to take a hometown discount for a few years in order to make it happen with the ACC. The problem is that BC has been such an unmitigated failure with zero buzz which Swofford will never own up to that we will pay the price. Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly we get lumped in with BC crowd. Sure they helped bring about the demise of the Big East by being duplicitous backstabbers (much like Pitt) but thats all they've brought to the ACC. The same thing will happen with The B1G and Rutgers if they wait. After they lose their first 72 games in a row and have half empty stadiums and no interest from the media there will be zero interest in adding another northeastern school. However, if they add us now they can capitalize on our success, distract from the PR debacle that is Rutgers, create serious momentum / marketing buzz about the new additions, and lock up the east coast / NYC. Delany can make it happen but does he have the cajones in their conservative world? Strike while the iron is hot!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A Rutgers-Penn State-Maryland-UConn corner of the B1G would be great for all involved. Penn State would clearly be the best...but those other 3 are nearly indistinguishable, and it would create rivalries quickly.

UConn has gotten great press, pretty much from the Madison Square Garden showing on. We need two things: 1) The NCAA to approve the proposal to eliminate the need for two equal divisions and 2) football to come through and win some games.
I agree with this. I'm so paranoid, that with us snubbing Emert twice in two nights, I think he shoots down that proposal as another way to us.

Reaction Score
The ACC and/or B1G should add us now rather than wait while the whole world is impressed with our back to back National Championships. And ESPN should, along with UConn, be willing to take a hometown discount for a few years in order to make it happen with the ACC. The problem is that BC has been such an unmitigated failure with zero buzz which Swofford will never own up to that we will pay the price. Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly we get lumped in with BC crowd. Sure they helped bring about the demise of the Big East by being duplicitous backstabbers (much like Pitt) but thats all they've brought to the ACC. The same thing will happen with The B1G and Rutgers if they wait. After they lose their first 72 games in a row and have half empty stadiums and no interest from the media there will be zero interest in adding another northeastern school. However, if they add us now they can capitalize on our success, distract from the PR debacle that is Rutgers, create serious momentum / marketing buzz about the new additions, and lock up the east coast / NYC. Delany can make it happen but does he have the cajones in their conservative world? Strike while the iron is hot!
Delany's from Jersey so I know he has the cajones but do the B1G's conservative school presidents? I feel pretty confident u guy's are a lock very soon to the B1G...problem might be the "partner" probably from the west !?! Kansas/Mizzou?

Reaction Score

Love the way you think tzzandrew and I dream of that very thing bringing FB relevance back in the east bigtime!!!

Reaction Score

Many of us hate the privates so much we ROOT for UConn except against us.Don't underestimate the power of rage against the old order!!

Reaction Score
His idea of balancing things out might not be all that well thought-out, (Georgia Tech?), but....

It's a New Jersey guy who covered Boston sports pointing out that our antagonists to the north and south have been complete tire fires athletically for a while now. And while none of the schools are football heavyweights, at least UConn brings something extraordinary to the table.

Partisans from both schools are invited to just lump it. I admire the ability of both to present spirited defenses of programs that don't merit their dedication, but you've all done it before and this isn't your thread - the home team will have a discussion without you for a spell.
I'm assuming thats goes for me? OK fishy no problem!! Funny read this comment last from the bottom up!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
First, Blauds needs to realize that the singular of Huskies is Husky. Beyond that, he's just saying what we've all been saying, that this makes no freaking sense. He's grasping at straws for how it could be fixed, just as we have. At this point, if Diaco can take us to a Bowl, and sign some decent recruits, it's game over. The ACC just needs to extend an invitation, as it will be forever lopsided in either football or all other sports, as long as Notre Dame is around. The B1G needs to decide whether we have a dance partner or if not, whether they can resume the lopsided scheduling they had for years after adding Penn State.

This basketball season, and the showing in the Garden was the perfect medicine for what ails us. I think the Michigan home game helped as well. Now all that remains is some indication that football can win. It doesn't need to be Ohio State or Alabama, it just needs to be competitive enough that it helps the ACC or B1G champ get into the playoff under whatever formula they use.

Reaction Score
The ACC or B1G should add us now rather than wait while the whole world is impressed with our back to back National Championships. And ESPN should, along with UConn, be willing to take a hometown discount for a few years in order to make it happen with the ACC. The problem is that BC has been such an unmitigated failure with zero buzz which Swofford will never own up to that we will pay the price. Unfortunately, rightly or wrongly we get lumped in with BC crowd. Sure they helped bring about the demise of the Big East by being duplicitous backstabbers (much like Pitt) but thats all they've brought to the ACC. The same thing will happen with The B1G and Rutgers if they wait. After they lose their first 72 games in a row and have half empty stadiums and no interest from the media there will be zero interest in adding another northeastern school. However, if they add us now they can capitalize on our success, distract from the PR debacle that is Rutgers, create serious momentum / marketing buzz about the new additions, and lock up the east coast / NYC. Delany can make it happen but does he have the cajones in their conservative world? Strike while the iron is hot!

If the ACC care anything at all about BC it would immediately offer UConn membership. This way an irrelevant program (geographically) and an apathetic fan base (if it ain't the Sox, Patriots, Bruins or Celts or college hockey) no one's paying attention, would have an immediate rivalry. It would one solve problems for the ACC.

Reaction Score
After the snowballing of all this stuff after the showing on the Big Stage at Madison Square Garden, I hope nobody ever doubts the power of the New York media market again.

Here I go in simplest form possible.

There is no single intercollegiate program that can 'own' the NYC tri-state market. To think so, and try to make it seem so is not accurate. What can penetrate and create market share is an entire athletic conference. The Big East has left a huge hole in the NYC market.

IF - big IF - there are other conferences that desire to replace what the Big East had - it is foolishness, to exclude the University of Connecticut.

Reaction Score

Even if Rutgers never wins a B1G game in football and basketball, they will still get decent attendance numbers just from the number of B1G alumni in the tri-state area that would be glad to watch their team crush the Scarlet Knights years after year after year and Michigan, Ohio St, etc. can even bring their NJ (football and basketball) and NY (football) recruits to watch.

Reaction Score
Dual basketball titles got UConn back into the conversation. If Diaco can get the football team moving in the right direction this season, call it 8 and 4 and hopefully a Bowl Game, and I believe the pieces are there, the interest will likely become very serious with the ACC and B1G playing a game of chicken. So, Win, baby Win.

FYI – Best guess at Football: 1) BYU L, 2) Stony Brook W, 3) Boise St W, 4) USF W, 5) Temple W, 6) Tulane W, 7) E Carolina L, 8) UCF L, 9) Army W, 10) Cincinnati L, 11) Memphis W, 12) SMU W

Reaction Score
The theory has been that UConn will always be there for the taking. Winning both titles this year may be the one thing that changes that. The Big 10 hasn't won the title in 15 years. Delany saw the electricity of UConn playing in Madison Square Garden with his own eyes. Then there is the ACC who wants to claim that they are the premier basketball conference in the country. Both conferences want to claim NYC. The Big 10 has a TV contract coming up. Hopefully, both conferences are eying one another and one blinks.

Reaction Score
The theory has been that UConn will always be there for the taking. Winning both titles this year may be the one thing that changes that. The Big 10 hasn't won the title in 15 years. Delany saw the electricity of UConn playing in Madison Square Garden with his own eyes. Then there is the ACC who wants to claim that they are the premier basketball conference in the country. Both conferences want to claim NYC. The Big 10 has a TV contract coming up. Hopefully, both conferences are eying one another and one blinks.

Forgive what is probably a naive question. Could the Big XII be an X factor here? They have the fewest teams of the P5 and a WVU team off on a a geographic deserted island. Could they conceivably look at both Cinci and UConn out there and think we can pick up the NYC market, pull in the men's and women's bball national champs, bring in a very credible football/basketball program in Cincinnati and a football program that has great potential and facilities in UConn, a great in-conference women's athletics rivalry with Baylor and Uconn, and a school with a good national academic reputation that seems to be on the upswing.

It would certainly be a statement on the Big XII's part. I'm not necessarily holding my breath, but wonder if there is some logic to my thinking.

Reaction Score
Forgive what is probably a naive question. Could the Big XII be an X factor here? They have the fewest teams of the P5 and a WVU team off on a a geographic deserted island. Could they conceivably look at both Cinci and UConn out there and think we can pick up the NYC market, pull in the men's and women's bball national champs, bring in a very credible football/basketball program in Cincinnati and a football program that has great potential and facilities in UConn, a great in-conference women's athletics rivalry with Baylor and Uconn, and a school with a good national academic reputation that seems to be on the upswing.

It would certainly be a statement on the Big XII's part. I'm not necessarily holding my breath, but wonder if there is some logic to my thinking.

They could be. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I tend to doubt it. I really don't think they want anything to do with the Northeast or NY. It just isn't in their footprint and isn't what their fans are interested in. If Louisville was available, maybe they'd consider UL and Cinci. But with Missouri gone, I really think they will be thinking south and west, not north and east. It's not about markets for the Big XII. They have no network, and won't have one. I'd take an invite if it was UConn's only choice, but it really is a terrible fit for both the league and UConn.

Reaction Score
Even if Rutgers never wins a B1G game in football and basketball, they will still get decent attendance numbers just from the number of B1G alumni in the tri-state area that would be glad to watch their team crush the Scarlet Knights years after year after year and Michigan, Ohio St, etc. can even bring their NJ (football and basketball) and NY (football) recruits to watch.

Wow. This sounds like a hell of good time on a Saturday afternoon. I think the B1G alumni will like it about twice. After that, it's better on TV.

Reaction Score
Those Big East ratings:
To be blunt: If you walked into 1,000 American homes this winter during a Creighton game, approximately one of those homes was watching Doug McDermott.

The Jays’ best 10 TV ratings of the regular season averaged 287,000 viewers.* To put that in perspective, Wichita State’s best 10 ratings averaged 580,000 viewers.

* This includes Creighton’s second- and fourth-highest ratings of the year, which came in the Anaheim tournament, which was covered by ESPN2. If you only count Fox Sports 1 ratings, CU’s 10 best averaged 250,000.

Reaction Score
Wow. This sounds like a hell of good time on a Saturday afternoon. I think the B1G alumni will like it about twice. After that, it's better on TV.

Doesn’t matter. It’s B1G football and there are a lot of B1G Alumni in the Tri-State area. Many cannot get back to the Midwest on a regular basis/and/or can’t get tickets. Both the Indiana/UConn basketball game at MSG and the Michigan/UConn football game in E. Hartford were packed with B1G fans. Michigan averaged just under 112K for home football games and 79K in 2012 for away games, and that includes games against, Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota and the random Appalachian State. Of the top 20 teams in college attendance, 7 are from the SEC, 6 are from the B1G while 2 are from the ACC (Clemson #15 w/ 81K and Florida St #19 w/ 75K).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom