OT: - BJ's Wholesale vs Costco, etc | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: BJ's Wholesale vs Costco, etc

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for feedback.

It will be just far enough out of the way for regular shopping (About 15 miles) but close enough to take a look.

Maybe certain things like tires or bigger purchases.

Nice thing about deli meats and cheeses is being retired military. The commissary grocery store carries Boar's Head products and price is tough to beat and that store is much more convenient to go grocery shopping.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Costco simply has the benefit of being the most established and biggest. Every brand wants to sell at Costco because of the volume they will get. That means Costco gets to pick and choose the best of the best. Brands have to bring it and convince Costco to sell their product and they have to have aggressive pricing. I remember some show years ago about Christmas toys. Hundreds of vendors offer to see their stuff at Costco and they only pick the top 10% or so of what they believe are the best products and values.

You won't get to pick between different brands of the same product, Costco just takes the top one and that's what you get - but at a great price. It's hard to argue with that approach.

After that, they have a pretty small margin they mark stuff up - about 8 to 10% after heavy wholesale pricing. The bottom line, if it's the product you want and you don't mind buying a lot of it, you are not going to find a better price anywhere and you are unlikely to find higher quality to boot.

And a little bit of an unknown deal on the Costco's actual pricing (in terms of the cents for each product):
.98 or .99 cents means Costco did not get a special deal from the supplier and is not marked down.
.97 is Costco's number for a managers sale to move stock - ie. it's an even better price than normal but limited in time.
.27 - .89 means they got a bulk deal or are testing the items at a lower price than what they would normally like to sell at and have discounted the item more than normal.
.88 or .00 is for discontinued items or damaged items they are trying to get rid of. Great deal, but it won't be around for long. Make sure you check the package to make sure it's in good shape.

Discontinued items will have an * in the upper right hand corner of the price card (not part of the description). These items will not be reordered.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I’ve heard costco crowds are an absolute nightmare. Haven’t ever actually been though

Reaction Score
I have never found this to be true unless it was the holiday season
Depends on the Costco. Stopped in a Yonkers Costco on a Saturday and it was a mad house but most have reasonable crowds.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Costco is a great deal. Started off just buying bulk non perishable items there like diapers, napkins, wipes, etc. But now find myself getting more and more things there because of the bulk price value.

If you have the ones with a package store you can get some good deals there, the Kirkland wine is $7-10 for a bottle of wine and they are actual pretty good. Also they usually have Hudson Baby Bourbon for $38 when every other package store is selling it in the $50+ range around me.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I just found a Costco Business Center near me yesterday. It's Costco geared toward business and more specifically restaurants. No clothes, no books, no games, furniture and other common household items (other than food). Really cool industrial or near industrial appliances, shelving, kitchen gear (saw a meat slicer I would love to pick up if I had the space for one) and even larger packaging for food compared to a normal Costco. Some great meat options for grilling and smoking - whole briskets, pork butt, and amazingly I found a 14ish pound prime new york strip. I suppose you could roast it, but it would be a great way to get new york strips to the exact thickness you want. They have jackets available for walking in the huge cooler section. Wear long pants if you plan to spend some time shopping in there. The only thing I couldn't find that I've been looking for is an uncooked ham.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom