Binge Watching Suggestions? | The Boneyard

Binge Watching Suggestions?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Being mostly coronaed to stay inside , wife and I have been binge watching shows we’ve never seen. Comedy suggestions welcomed. There are two non-American shows we actually binged well before the virus that are frequently really funny once you get past the first episode that more or less introduce the characters. The IT Crowd is a British show and Offspring is an Australian show. Both series completed a few years ago.

if you have a more educational bent and haven’t seen Great Courses, it’s a small fee after the first month.

you need Netflix and Amazon Prime for many shows.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Derry Girls (Northern Ireland) on Netflix and Moone Boy (Ireland) on Hulu! Two shows I’ve watched more once without any regret.

I’ve also recently binged AJ & the Queen (comedy with Rupaul on Netflix), Abandoned (docuseries on Hulu), Hillary (four episode docuseries on Hulu), Workin’ Moms (comedy on Netflix), and the first four episodes of Little Fires Everywhere (Hulu).

Also, if anyone hasn’t binged the Great British Baking Show, you’re missing out!

Reaction Score
I spoke to a friend who works as an installer for Comcast. He said that they are having problems keeping up with the new requests for installation.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
trailer park boys. the red green show. green acres. party of five. rich man, poor man and roots miniseries. ken burns anything. jeeves and wooster, monty, faulty towers, and that goofy lady ('its boo-kay, not bucket') over on the british dial. adult swim, but only the good stuff.

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I will shamelessly admit to binging Shameless (Netflix) probably the most disgusting and entertaining show ever. William H. Macy was born for his role. We alternated that with Vikings season 6 (Prime). Older fare on our binge list is a revisit of Aussie hit "A Place To Call Home" a post WW2 soaper and Longmire a semi oater. We are considering revisiting Doc Martin despite being really pissed at the crappy ending last season.

Reaction Score
I have no shame admitting that we've watched Shameless and Trailer Park Boys over and over. :)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I will shamelessly admit to binging Shameless (Netflix) probably the most disgusting and entertaining show ever. William H. Macy was born for his role. We alternated that with Vikings season 6 (Prime). Older fare on our binge list is a revisit of Aussie hit "A Place To Call Home" a post WW2 soaper and Longmire a semi oater. We are considering revisiting Doc Martin despite being really pissed at the crappy ending last season.
The original run of Doc Martin was as good as it gets. Clune was prefect.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Stumptown -dysfunctional anti-hero who
becomes a private detective.
Has a Rockford Files kind of vibe, if Jim Rockford was into day drinking and promiscuity. It has been on my I'm not sure list, but it's held my interest. It stars Colby Smulders and Jake Johnson.

Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist - lead character develops the ability to hear peoples deepest desires/needs/feelings but she hears them as musical numbers replete with dancing. Also on my "I'm not sure, but it's held my interest list. It can be intriguingly awkward as actors who are not singers or dancers, per se, have to do both. Stars Jane Levy with good support from Alex Newells, Skylar Austin, Lauren Graham, Mary Steenburgen and Peter Gallagher.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Bones and Hanna on Amazon Prime, NCIS and NCIS New Oleans series dvd's. Also re-reading all of my mystery and sci-fy books.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I didn't watch this show when it originally aired but did watch it on Netflix:
iZombie.
I found this zombie apocalypse series to be quite funny, by design. The good thing about Netflix is that every episode is available including the final season, which was scheduled and therefore has an actual finale.

Reaction Score
Collateral (Carey Mulligan, London Mystery)
Unforgotten
West Wing
Altered Carbon
Longmire (modern Western)
Versailles (Louis XIV, the Sun King)
Tudors (Henry VIII wives one thru six)
Press (two competing London tabloids)
SS GB (London under Nazi occupation)

and,

Maigret ( old and the new)
Blackadder
Upstart Crow
The Expanse
Lost in Space

and,

Secret City (investigative reporter in Canberra)
Pine Gap (American Australian drama at satellite spy base)
Mystery Road (murder in the Outback)

and,

The White Queen (Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV mother to Elizabeth of York)
The White Princess (Elizabeth of York, wife of Henry VII, mother to Henry VIII)
The Spanish Princess (Isabella of Spain, wife of Arthur- annulled, wife of Henry VIII)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you like detective shows, Prime Video has a LA detective show called Bosch. Last fall I binge watched six seasons. Harry Bosch is the main character based on Michael Connelly's books. 2020 will be the last season, don't know when the finale will occur.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Bones and Hanna on Amazon Prime, NCIS and NCIS New Oleans series dvd's. Also re-reading all of my mystery and sci-fy books.
If you like your dark mystery with a bit of SciFi try "Counterpart" starring J.K. Simmons (theFarmers insurance guy), one of the best character actors around. It's about a parallel world connected by a portal located in Berlin.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If you like detective shows, Prime Video has a LA detective show called Bosch. Last fall I binge watched six seasons. Harry Bosch is the main character based on Michael Connelly's books. 2020 will be the last season, don't know when the finale will occur.
Bosch is soon to return. The trailer for the next season is now available on line.

Reaction Score
If you liked 30 Rock and Arrested Development, you HAVE to watch Schitt’s Creek if you haven’t already. They all have kind of the same vibe.

Reaction Score
Pluto TV is free and has several channels that are bingeworthy:

This Old House, Antiques Roadshow, Midsomer Murders, Leverage, Doctor Who, James Bond to name just a few.

Reaction Score
I have a large collection of DVD and Blurays and here are some of my favorites for a binge.

1. All creatures great and small (4550 min)

2. Inspector Morse (3990 min)

3. MASH

4. Seinfeld

5. The Shadow of the tower, The six wives of Henry the 8th, Elizabeth R (Three 500+ min series in a pack from Costco)

6. Hitchcock masterpiece collection (I have the 14 film bluray US version. About $45. The UK version has 15)

7. Miss Marple the complete collection

8. Poirot, the early cases ( I do not like the later cases)

9. Downton Abbey (I have not bought it yet. Waiting for the price to go down)

10. The Pallisers (Some great deals are available on ebay. However, beware the coronavirus when you buy)

Some honorable mentions:

The longest day, Patton, and A Bridge too far
Lord Peter Wimsey collections - two box sets featuring 8 movies
Jane Austen BBC collection [2004]
George Eliot BBC collection
Campion, and Inspector Alleyn box sets
Clint Eastwood - Man with no name trilogy

Reaction Score
I have a large collection of DVD and Blurays and here are some of my favorites for a binge.

1. All creatures great and small (4550 min)

2. Inspector Morse (3990 min)

3. MASH

4. Seinfeld

5. The Shadow of the tower, The six wives of Henry the 8th, Elizabeth R (Three 500+ min series in a pack from Costco)

6. Hitchcock masterpiece collection (I have the 14 film bluray US version. About $45. The UK version has 15)

7. Miss Marple the complete collection

8. Poirot, the early cases ( I do not like the later cases)

9. Downton Abbey (I have not bought it yet. Waiting for the price to go down)

10. The Pallisers (Some great deals are available on ebay. However, beware the coronavirus when you buy)

Some honorable mentions:

The longest day, Patton, and A Bridge too far
Lord Peter Wimsey collections - two box sets featuring 8 movies
Jane Austen BBC collection [2004]
George Eliot BBC collection
Campion, and Inspector Alleyn box sets
Clint Eastwood - Man with no name trilogy
someone after my own heart ... I love the BBC/ITV productions.

haven't seen Peter Wimsey in years! If you like Morse then there is also Inspector Lewis and Endeavour (PBS). BritBox has some terrific miniseries as well ..... Parades End, A Dance to the Music of Time and The Camomile Lawn come to mind.

plus Caedfael, I Claudius, Foyle's War

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If you have a library card, there's a good chance you can sign up for Hoopla and/or Kanopy, free streaming services. Tons of movies and some tv shows. Hoopla you get 10 streams/month (they bumped it to 15 this month) and Kanopy is 5. Kanopy trends toward award nominated movies, foreign and documentaries. Hoopla is all over the place, some fairly well known titles and some really obscure stuff.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Here's some variety: The Expanse (best scifi on TV maybe ever), The Man in the High Castle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
plus Caedfael, I Claudius, Foyle's War
Those might be my 3 favorite British shows of all time. Foyle's War is just great. That was our first binge watch. It wasn't planned that way, it's just that Foyle was the man and we had to keep watching.

My American suggestion is Justified. Gritty, clever, laugh-out loud funny sometimes. It went for six seasons, each year had a contained story arc that came to a satisfying close and the series as a whole had an arc that ended in one of the best series conclusions ever. This show never insulted your intelligence or got as full of itself like others. It's the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom