Binge Watching Suggestions? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Binge Watching Suggestions?

Reaction Score
Collateral (Carey Mulligan, London Mystery)
Unforgotten
West Wing
Altered Carbon
Longmire (modern Western)
Versailles (Louis XIV, the Sun King)
Tudors (Henry VIII wives one thru six)
Press (two competing London tabloids)
SS GB (London under Nazi occupation)

and,

Maigret ( old and the new)
Blackadder
Upstart Crow
The Expanse
Lost in Space

and,

Secret City (investigative reporter in Canberra)
Pine Gap (American Australian drama at satellite spy base)
Mystery Road (murder in the Outback)

and,

The White Queen (Elizabeth Woodville, wife of Edward IV mother to Elizabeth of York)
The White Princess (Elizabeth of York, wife of Henry VII, mother to Henry VIII)
The Spanish Princess (Isabella of Spain, wife of Arthur- annulled, wife of Henry VIII)
It would be way too depressing to watch West Wing.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am sure you have already watched Mad Men, but it is the best show ever.

I liked Last Kingdom on Netflix. It is like a lower budget Vikings, but from the English perspective and a lot more historically accurate.

Fargo and Ozark are really good.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is a hard show to binge watch because after 2-3 episodes you hate the characters so much you need a break. Start with Season 2.

Narcos is amazing. Start with season 1 in Columbia, and go all the way through.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Peaky Blinders is a BBC crime drama based in the 30's on netflix.

Schitts Creek as noted above is a great little show.

Fleabag is only 2 seasons but the star/writer/producer(?) is a huge talent.

Reaction Score
Luther is another excellent British crime show starring Idris Elba. I had watched the first four seasons on Amazon Prime Video, but noticed yesterday that all five seasons are now available on Hulu.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Fargo and Ozark are really good.

Narcos is amazing. Start with season 1 in Columbia, and go all the way through.

I jumped back into Ozark this week. Really enjoyed season 2 and just starting 3.

Have to say, I liked season 1-2 of Narcos much more than 3, so haven't given the latest batch a look yet. Simply wasn't into either the lead good guy or the bad guys in season 3 whereas the 1st two were simply outstanding all around. (edit: just starting the latest season in Mexico... already better than 3).

Also enjoyed Marvelous Ms. Maisel and Kimmy Schmidt on the comedy side. I liked first two seasons of Sneaky Pete as Giovanni Ribisi was great in it, but haven't watched the third yet as I've heard underwhelming reviews after the first couple episodes due to new writers/showrunner, but I suppose I'll dive back in to see how it ends.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Since my kids gave me an Apple TV device a couple of years ago, we have Netflix, Disney Plus & Hulu as addons to their accounts & And Amazon Prime through Wifey's Amazon account. We've binge watched many shows across the spectrum.
If any remember Helen Mirren in the 80's in the PBS (BBC) series Prime suspect, there is a prequel on Netflix. In the same genre are Broadchurch (3 seasons) on Netflix & DCI Banks on Amazon Prime.
If any have the EPIX app, their original programming is good: Godfather of Harlem, the updated War of the Worlds, Pennyworth (prequel to Batman-about the Butler Alfred as a detective in the 60's), Get Shorty, Deep State & Berlin Station (Both of which appeal to spy show fanatics).
What my wife both enjoyed was UnOrthodox on Netflix about a 19 y.o. Hasidic housewife who questions the liffestyle that she was brought up in in Brooklyn & begins her journey (literally & figuratively) to independence & personal enlightenment.

Reaction Score
If any are into WW II flicks, try The Twelfth Man on Hulu. It's the true story of a Norwegian saboteur working for the British, whose team is ambushed, & his subsequent escape from Nazi occupied Norway. It's rivoting. Just beware: There are subtitles as the Brits speak English, the Nazis speak German, &, obviously, the Norwegians speak their native tongue.

Reaction Score
I jumped back into Ozark this week. Really enjoyed season 2 and just starting 3.

Have to say, I liked season 1-2 of Narcos much more than 3, so haven't given the latest batch a look yet. Simply wasn't into either the lead good guy or the bad guys in season 3 whereas the 1st two were simply outstanding all around. (edit: just starting the latest season in Mexico... already better than 3).

Also enjoyed Marvelous Ms. Maisel and Kimmy Schmidt on the comedy side. I liked first two seasons of Sneaky Pete as Giovanni Ribisi was great in it, but haven't watched the third yet as I've heard underwhelming reviews after the first couple episodes due to new writers/showrunner, but I suppose I'll dive back in to see how it ends.

Ms. Maisel is fantastic. During Southington's Apple Harvest Festival last fall, my wife & I were out with friends at one of the local downtown restaurants. Two tables over there was a party of 8 women having drinks & apps. One of them was the spitting image of Rachel Brosnahan, & she seemed reserved about the surroundings. I mentioned the resemblance to the Mrs., who said that I was imagining things. Then the lady saw us looking & gave one of those "you caught me" type smiles. Who knows?

Reaction Score
Try "Lie to Me" available on IDMb to stream for free. Tim Roth plays the lead. He is the head of a company which is hired to discover whether whether or not people are lying using micro expressions and body language.
This is based science. The nature of this science allows for a variety of interesting story lines. Itran for 3 seasons on Fox. I like it quite a lot.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Being mostly coronaed to stay inside , wife and I have been binge watching shows we’ve never seen. Comedy suggestions welcomed. There are two non-American shows we actually binged well before the virus that are frequently really funny once you get past the first episode that more or less introduce the characters. The IT Crowd is a British show and Offspring is an Australian show. Both series completed a few years ago.

if you have a more educational bent and haven’t seen Great Courses, it’s a small fee after the first month.

you need Netflix and Amazon Prime for many shows.

Just saw this. Suggest spending the $8 to get Starz via Prime. Then you can binge Black Sails, Outlander, The White Queen.

Prime: Man in the High Castle, The Outsider. Mrs. Maisel

Netflix: Mindhunter is tremendous.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Just saw this. Suggest spending the $8 to get Starz via Prime. Then you can binge Black Sails, Outlander, The White Queen.

The two of those that we watched first run were Outlander for several seasons and Maisel through several episodes this year. Both my wife and I felt both were losing their way, the original premise getting a bit discarded. Once Outlander headed to the West Indies I think it lost a lot. The Maisel episodes focusing on her parents are kinda meh.

Will check out the others. Too many choices.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Anyone watching Perpetual Grace? Another weird mind twister. Ben Kingsley stars in this one.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I started on Black Sails but lost interest in it, like 5 episodes in, for whatever reason. It was good but ... shrug.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I started on Black Sails but lost interest in it, like 5 episodes in, for whatever reason. It was good but ... shrug.

So you didn't even get to the Caribbean?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
So you didn't even get to the Caribbean?
I think it was when they were careening the hull or right around there. It was good, but I didn't really care about any of the characters.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Just watched Dark seasons 1 & 2 - really good German sci fi series. Season 3 should be available this year.
Prior to that binged Ozark 3 seasons (liked it too). Watched The English Game and Freud on Netflix - they were decent but not great. Currently on season 4 of Catastrophe. So I've had plenty of time to watch shows that otherwise would not have. So what's next? Tiger King? Money Heist ? Amazon's new Tales from the Loop?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Just watched Dark seasons 1 & 2 - really good German sci fi series. Season 3 should be available this year.
Prior to that binged Ozark 3 seasons (liked it too). Watched The English Game and Freud on Netflix - they were decent but not great. Currently on season 4 of Catastrophe. So I've had plenty of time to watch shows that otherwise would not have. So what's next? Tiger King? Money Heist ? Amazon's new Tales from the Loop?
We enjoyed Dark (1). Couldn't get traction after watching the first season 2 episode.

Reaction Score
So many great binges to watch.

Netflix:
Atypical
The Politician (only first season but fantastic)
American Vandal
Derry Girls
Last Chance U
Cheer

The Politician was the real surprise on this list.HS kid wants to be President. Intrigue and corruption ensues in his election after his competition commits suicide. The cast is ridiculous. It’s got satire, mystery, suspense, music (Ben Platt from “Dear Evan Hansen” is the lead and he’s amazing).

Cheer and Last Chance U are two docuseries by the same filmmaker. He focuses on JUCO sports. The former is JUCO cheerleading, the latter JUCO football. And the games are exciting - like almost NFL exciting.

Atypical is fun - family trying to get by as their oldest son is finishing HS and living life with ASD. The parents marriage is falling apart and the younger daughter is often torn between pursuing her dreams and caring for her brother. But it’

AppleTV:
The Morning Show (only first season)
I will say The Morning Show took an episode or two for me to decide if I liked it. I was intrigued. I thought all the characters were borderline unlikeable human beings. It took a little bit to see Jennifer Aniston as someone other than Rachel - she was amazing and you realized how much Friends didn’t use her range. I was screaming at the TV by the last episode and didn’t see the ending coming. Guy friends, girl friends all loved this show.

Amazon:
Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
Episodes
The Royals

Mrs. Maisel - woman gets dumped by husband, accidentally becomes stand up comic.
Episodes is a show that has a pair of British actors writing a show for an actor named Matt LeBlanc who is playing an exaggerated, fictional version of himself. Matt gets into a lot of trouble. Matt’s a pain. Hilarious show.
The Royals - Elizabeth Hurley is the fictional queen of England. The only difference is that someone has killed her firstborn son and husband and, because she thinks her second born is a drunk idiot, she claims he and his sister were illegitimate. Intrigue ensues. And sex and murder. And drugs. One of the funniest shows I’ve ever seen.

Reaction Score
Billions
Ozark
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
That's what I've completed this summer. I got to the 3rd season of Game of Thrones but I just wasn't feeling it. Same with Westworld. I may circle back. I may try Justified, The Expanse, what else.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Did Schittsville.on Newflix as well as the Aussie show Offspring and the British show The IT Crowd. For each get through the first two episodes and they are off beat but often hilarious.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting to enjoy Schitt's Creek as much as I did. Truly deserving of all the acclaim it received.

Not sure if Money Heist is still streaming, but if so, I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it yet. Anxiously awaiting the final season.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
The Expanse (This is a slow starter, give it time... best SciFi series ever)
Man in the High Castle
Mrs Maisel

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom