Bill Russell videos for Brimah | The Boneyard

Bill Russell videos for Brimah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Russell blocked shots and was able to keep the ball inbounds. Brimah's blocks seem to end up 5 rows in the stands. It would really help this team if he could keep his blocks inbounds and there are plenty of other things he could learn by watching Russell.

Reaction Score
we have to ask ourselves, why is brimah such an aggressive weakside shotblocker? the answer imo is because the guards & scheme; adams, purvis and larrier don't do a good job containing the dribble and icing pnrs. you ice pick n rolls so players can't get to the middle, when you watch us play its a red carpet to the middle. You cant ask AB to A. Focus on his man B. Competently help defend when our guards get blown by (often) or pancaked on screens C. KEEP THE BALL IN BOUNDS ON ALL BLOCKS. D. Stay out of foul trouble. oh and rebound everything.

coaching is involved here as far as schemes, i'm pretty sure ollie tells brimah to go for everything, which i agree with, but you can't tell him to do that, then tell him to hard hedge pick n rolls 30 feet from the basket, thats mentally exhausting. I think enochs 'positional defense' development has been hindered by this, its almost like KO coaches enoch to play like AB when he isn't the shotblocker or two foot leaper AB is.

Reaction Score
Bill Russell learnings - you are preaching to the choir - Russell was so good his block shot was actually an outlet pass for a fast break.
Directional blocks they call them. Ewing used to swat it out of bounds and very demonstratively. However being in the BE he had to continually send a message full of intimidation, it worked. Amida does not need to do that and should learn how to direct blocks so at the very least the opponent can not set up inbound plays.

Does the possession clock reset when swatted out of bounds?

C

Chief00

Directional blocks they call them. Ewing used to swat it out of bounds and very demonstratively. However being in the BE he had to continually send a message full of intimidation, it worked. Amida does not need to do that and should learn how to direct blocks so at the very least the opponent can not set up inbound plays.

Does the possession clock reset when swatted out of bounds?

The possession clock doesn't reset.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've been screaming about Bill Russell while watching Brimah for three seasons and counting. More than 50% of Brimah's blocks still end up with the other team keeping possession and it's incredibly frustrating.

Reaction Score
Is there some sort of rule that you Have to "swat" the ball out of the air?
I'm seriously asking, because with the ups that Brimah has...he can just as easily jump and "grab" the ball out of mid air.

The only downside I see is if it's more likely to be called a goaltending if done this way, or if Brimah simply cannot grab the ball and it ending up in the other teams hands.

Reaction Score
Just watch some videos of Okafor, would love to see him come in as Bigs coach.
This is a mistake that is made many times in sports. Just because a player is good at doing something, it doesn't guarantee that he can teach it. Okafor may or may not make a good coach I don't know. A lot of the best coaches in sports were guys that spent a lot of time watching from the bench.

Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the UConn player improvement series videos:

"How to be more like Scottie Pippen" - for Daniel Hamilton
" You too can play like Dr. J" - for Terry Larrier
"Meet Tony Parker" - for Jalen Adams
"Isiah Thomas - the Detroit Badboy" for Alterique Gilbert
"Larry Bird wasn't that athletic either" for Vance Jackson

Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to the rest of the UConn player improvement series videos:

"How to be more like Scottie Pippen" - for Daniel Hamilton
" You too can play like Dr. J" - for Terry Larrier
"Meet Tony Parker" - for Jalen Adams
"Isiah Thomas - the Detroit Badboy" for Alterique Gilbert
"Larry Bird wasn't that athletic either" for Vance Jackson
+

Reaction Score
we have to ask ourselves, why is brimah such an aggressive weakside shotblocker? the answer imo is because the guards & scheme; adams, purvis and larrier don't do a good job containing the dribble and icing pnrs. you ice pick n rolls so players can't get to the middle, when you watch us play its a red carpet to the middle. You cant ask AB to A. Focus on his man B. Competently help defend when our guards get blown by (often) or pancaked on screens C. KEEP THE BALL IN BOUNDS ON ALL BLOCKS. D. Stay out of foul trouble. oh and rebound everything.

coaching is involved here as far as schemes, i'm pretty sure ollie tells brimah to go for everything, which i agree with, but you can't tell him to do that, then tell him to hard hedge pick n rolls 30 feet from the basket, thats mentally exhausting. I think enochs 'positional defense' development has been hindered by this, its almost like KO coaches enoch to play like AB when he isn't the shotblocker or two foot leaper AB is.

It's mystifying and maddening at this point, one because you always think he's going to pick up a cheap foul bumping the ball-handler and two, your doing exactly what the other team wants in removing him from the rim. With how bad the perimeter defense has been, soft-hedging isn't actually that much of a departure from the norm anyways.

Reaction Score
It's mystifying and maddening at this point, one because you always think he's going to pick up a cheap foul bumping the ball-handler and two, your doing exactly what the other team wants in removing him from the rim. With how bad the perimeter defense has been, soft-hedging isn't actually that much of a departure from the norm anyways.

Ok guys the reality is they are not asking him to hard hedge 30 ft. away from the basket, he's electing to do so. And for too long often, there's a time and a place and any basketball player can learn this just by playing the game especially as much as he has. He's working his butt off and trying to make plays and that's all you can ask still at this point. There will be smallish guys for him to guard tonight and who can step out and shoot it, good test for him and coaching to see how they play it.

Reaction Score
Ok guys the reality is they are not asking him to hard hedge 30 ft. away from the basket, he's electing to do so. And for too long often, there's a time and a place and any basketball player can learn this just by playing the game especially as much as he has. He's working his butt off and trying to make plays and that's all you can ask still at this point. There will be smallish guys for him to guard tonight and who can step out and shoot it, good test for him and coaching to see how they play it.

I can't imagine he is choosing on his own to do that, because if he was it would be an easy fix.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine he is choosing on his own to do that, because if he was it would be an easy fix.

Wait I agree he is not doing that on his own my bad. My point is he is still liable in making the right decision in getting back to his man from 30 feet away, it's not coaching at that point I mean why would he hold the hedge that far away. Now I get where you guys are coming from and agree completely - why even allow him to be in that situation right? Ok my bad on this, he should never be straying that far from the middle no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom