Bill Detrick, CCSU, passed away | The Boneyard

Bill Detrick, CCSU, passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
An incredibly nice guy. He would sub from time to time at my high school and the kids really liked him. I remember one story where one of my students told me about this "older guy" coming in and teaching the right way to box out. After a while the kid asking Bill if he was ever a coach and Bill said "a little bit." Then Bill explained that the Central gym was named after him. RIP Bill

Reaction Score
Coach Detrick achieved success for CCSU when Div II basketball in New England was a great sport in which to be involved. His teams often played as a whole better than the "sum of their parts" largely because of his coaching abilities - many Div II schools left New Britain stunned with a loss when they arrived "knowing" they were the better team. Those (late 60's to early 80's) were great times for New england college basketball fans and he was one of the reasons why - competitive, intense and a gentleman.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Coach Detrick achieved success for CCSU when Div II basketball in New England was a great sport in which to be involved. His teams often played as a whole better than the "sum of their parts" largely because of his coaching abilities - many Div II schools left New Britain stunned with a loss when they arrived "knowing" they were the better team. Those (late 60's to early 80's) were great times for New england college basketball fans and he was one of the reasons why - competitive, intense and a gentleman.

Do you remember the Hightower teams? They were brothers who were (i'm guessing) 6'3" or so, power forwards. And tiny, super quick guards.

Loved watching those teams. Loved them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox