Bilas Wants To Ignore Tourney Wins | The Boneyard

Bilas Wants To Ignore Tourney Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Today I heard Jay Bilas suggesting at-large bids be decided before the conference tournaments start. This was largely due to hiis concerns that Monmouth doesn't have enough big win opportunities left. It seems like ignoring 2 or 3 solid wins by a team on the bubble would devalue the tournaments and weaken the tournament field overall. Oh and the specific example he mentioned was UConn having better wins available in their tournament. Apparently those shouldn't count because he feels sorry for Monmouth.

I don't know if there are a lot of other people making this argument or if their reasons are similar. And maybe Monmouth is a good enough team and they should be in. My question is this. When did he decide this was a great idea and how damaging would it be for interest in most if not all of the conference tournaments? Has he considered this or is he just trying to make a case for or against certain teams? And why use UConn as the example instead of arguing the committe consider dropping Pitt, Michigan, SC, or Cuse. Yeah we're in so it kinda doesn't matter. But I'm skeptical when suddenly someone decides our wins specifically don't count anymore because they feel sorry for certain leagues.

Reaction Score
Sorry Jay let 'wild cards' in the Tourney. I like that a team has an outside chance and perhaps their only chance to Dance.

So what if a deserving team gets bumped, even if UConn, that's NCAA basketball. These are college kids enjoying a sport so the small/unknown teams of the world should have their fun. Its good for college basketball and more importantly campus life. Sure they get bumped in week one but that is not the point. For 4 days those kids are BMOC so let them shine and stop hating.

It part of the definition of March Madness and for others March Sadness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Today I heard Jay Bilas suggesting at-large bids be decided before the conference tournaments start. This was largely due to hiis concerns that Monmouth doesn't have enough big win opportunities left. It seems like ignoring 2 or 3 solid wins by a team on the bubble would devalue the tournaments and weaken the tournament field overall. Oh and the specific example he mentioned was UConn having better wins available in their tournament. Apparently those shouldn't count because he feels sorry for Monmouth.

I don't know if there are a lot of other people making this argument or if their reasons are similar. And maybe Monmouth is a good enough team and they should be in. My question is this. When did he decide this was a great idea and how damaging would it be for interest in most if not all of the conference tournaments? Has he considered this or is he just trying to make a case for or against certain teams? And why use UConn as the example instead of arguing the committe consider dropping Pitt, Michigan, SC, or Cuse. Yeah we're in so it kinda doesn't matter. But I'm skeptical when suddenly someone decides our wins specifically don't count anymore because they feel sorry for certain leagues.

All games played that are not exhibition games should count - period.

Reaction Score
I just don't get why we have to change everything...it has been this way for years now. Little guys have always had their opportunity be to win your conf tournament. The games are now held at the home court of higher seeds in many cases...just to give the regular season champ best opportunity to win. Now we are going to exclude the games entirely from the resume?

March Madness has always been great and always will be...not sure having an extra 2-3 mid majors on top of those that are already in the field since they won their tournament is going to make it any better.

Reaction Score
Thanks for letting me slide on the spelling. I had a hungry teen-ager yelling at me.

Reaction Score
Besides, teams are playing really hard come conference tournament time- and it's a good indicator of how teams will play going into the NCAAT.

If you can't beat Iona in a do or die game, you shouldn't make the tournament.

If Uconn couldn't beat Cincy, I don't think they should've been in the NCAAT either.

Reaction Score
Besides, teams are playing really hard come conference tournament time- and it's a good indicator of how teams will play going into the NCAAT.

If you can't beat Iona in a do or die game, you shouldn't make the tournament.

If Uconn couldn't beat Cincy, I don't think they should've been in the NCAAT either.
Good point, plus having an opportunity to Dance for bubble or even bad teams makes all Conference Tourneys fascinating and competitive. If Memphis had no shot of making the Tourney then would they really be trying hard to win a 'meaningless' Conference Title game?

Reaction Score
Good point, plus having an opportunity to Dance for bubble or even bad teams makes all Conference Tourneys fascinating and competitive. If Memphis had no shot of making the Tourney then would they really be trying hard to win a 'meaningless' Conference Title game?

You are misunderstanding.

Bilas wants auto-bids to remain the same, but he wants at-larges chosen before the conference tournaments. Memphis and UConn would still have a chance in his proposed system.

Reaction Score
Bubble implications are the reason why so many people watch conference tournament games outside of their own teams

And anyway, why shouldn't they count? They count towards your record. Is it just because it's a tournament format? Should they stop counting wins/losses from early season tournaments too?

Reaction Score
Oh Mr bilas, how bubble teams from larger conferences would even be in the discussion, if their last loss before selection Sunday was to iona?

Reaction Score
The logic makes no sense. Yes, there is more opportunity to pick up marquee wins, but there is also a larger opportunity for them to, you know, lose. If the conference tournament strengthens UConn's ability to get an at large, doesn't it also strengthen Monmouth's chances for an auto bid? There are a bunch of teams like Monmouth every year who get in specifically because of the conference tournaments. And I love that about CBB. But you can't have it both ways.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bilas is a far cry from the breath of fresh air he once was. People just haven't fully realized it yet.

That's what happens when you fester on The Mothership too long.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Yes, let's have a complete overhaul of the qualifying rules because one deserving team might be left out. Bilas' hard-on for Monmouth this season is odd indeed. I just did a Google search and he's been advocating a bid for them since at least January.

Their shenanigans on the bench would definitely make them the darlings of CBS broadcasts.

Reaction Score
Unless Jim Boeheim wasn't coaching.
I'm just...incredulous that they're trying to use that as an excuse.

Even if he was sick or something and needed to take some time off like Calhoun used to do, the games still count. And he was being punished. God forbid a punishment hurt your tournament outlook you idiots.

Reaction Score
I'm just...incredulous that they're trying to use that as an excuse.

Even if he was sick or something and needed to take some time off like Calhoun used to do, the games still count. And he was being punished. God forbid a punishment hurt your tournament outlook you idiots.
It really is amazing. What was even the point of the punishment if the games won't even count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom