BigXII Asking NCAA to Have 10 Team Conf. Title Game | The Boneyard

BigXII Asking NCAA to Have 10 Team Conf. Title Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What does this mean for UConn?

Clearly, BigXII gets denied and the BigXII adds Cincinnati and South Florida!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Given that every league that has asked has been denied, I would expect the Big 12 to be denied too. I wonder if Texas is just making the other schools happy by trying. If Texas President snapped his fingers, the Big 12 would have 14 schools. Texas seems to like the status quo though.

Reaction Score
Given that every league that has asked has been denied, I would expect the Big 12 to be denied too. I wonder if Texas is just making the other schools happy by trying. If Texas President snapped his fingers, the Big 12 would have 14 schools. Texas seems to like the status quo though.
i'm surprised this didn't get much discussion.
does anyone think there is a reason the Big12 wants a ccg with only 10 schools?
is if possible that the likes of fsu and clemson aren't willing to jump?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A championship game in a 10 game league is idiotic. One of the rare things the NCAA gets right.

It is sort of bizarre they have any say though.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Don't tell Waylon but no Florida State doesn't want to join the Big 12.

Reaction Score
A championship game in a 10 game league is idiotic. One of the rare things the NCAA gets right.

It is sort of bizarre they have any say though.

It makes a lot of sense for a league that doesn't want to dilute it's conference in order to get to 12, a lot.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
1. I think the Big 12 has to ask. They may not even want to play a championship game, but they have to ask. I am sure the answer will be no....

2. If the answer is no, and God, it better be, than the Big 12 can decide what they want to do going forward.

3. If asked, I think FSU would go. They would almost have to - if and when the Big Ten and SEC get to expanding, the ACC is going to be pulled clean. Florida State has no appeal to either conference, so if they get a crack at the Big 12, they would have to take it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It makes a lot of sense for a league that doesn't want to dilute it's conference in order to get to 12, a lot.

From a competitive standpoint it makes no sense. You have 10 teams play 9 games and the concept of a championship game makes no sense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
1. I think the Big 12 has to ask. They may not even want to play a championship game, but they have to ask. I am sure the answer will be no....

2. If the answer is no, and God, it better be, than the Big 12 can decide what they want to do going forward.

3. If asked, I think FSU would go. They would almost have to - if and when the Big Ten and SEC get to expanding, the ACC is going to be pulled clean. Florida State has no appeal to either conference, so if they get a crack at the Big 12, they would have to take it.

You really believe FSU isn't in the Big 12 by choice?

I think they pass for the simple reason it makes it more difficult to go 10-2 or 11-1. I think they realized it in the past - and then they watched West Virginia this season and it's clear how difficult it is to make the 4 team playoff when you play a schedule like that.

Florida State's glory days were rolling up 8-0 seasons against an ACC that couldn't compete.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you think FSU wants to be in a watered down ACC, you weren't paying attention when they c***-blocked us from their league.

(Honestly, the profanity filter on this website is duck*ing dumb. I'm sure someone patted their dopey asses on the back when they changed c*ck-blocked to "roosterblocked"...jesus.)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If you think FSU wants to be in a watered down ACC, you weren't paying attention when they c***-blocked us from their league.

(Honestly, the profanity filter on this website is duck*ing ed. I'm sure someone patted their dopey asses on the back when they changed c*ck-blocked to "roosterblocked"...jesus.)

I think FSU likes a schedule that looks good on paper that they cruise to 10 wins against.

I think that FSU knows their fan base prefers 11-1 against the ACC over 9-3 against the Big 12.

That they realize Louisville has more street cred than UConn when rolling up that record doesn't tell me they actually want a big boy schedule.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're wrong, but that's your prerogative.

Reaction Score
If Big 12 expands they need quality football schools as there are a number of historically bad or mediocre programs in the Big 12. A couple of schools are playing well right now like Baylor, Iowa St., and Kansas St., but there is not traditional quality depth in the Big 12. Adding 2 or 4 of Florida St., Miami, GT, and Clemson dramatically improves conference depth.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I think the main issue with ACC expansion is that the remaining schools are all pretty happy to be in the ACC as it is currently constructed. Nobody wants to leave, unless other dominoes are put into motion and they are forced to act.

The problem, much like what happened to the Big East, is that once the B1G, SEC start snooping around, ACC schools may be forced to act out of fear of being left behind.

The way the B1G Network works (as best I understand) is that it's all based off of cable subscribers and the associated subscriber fees with the network. I believe the SEC is forming a network and that their network would work the same way.

I really think that this the most likely and best realistic situation for UConn:

B1G (16) - North Carolina, Virginia
SEC (16) - North Carolina State, Virginia Tech
ACC (12) - UConn, South Florida, Cincinnati, Navy (fb-only)
BigXII (12) - Florida State, Clemson
Pac (12) - No moves.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This is the genius of the Big East: with the crapfest roster that we have, we are unlikely to be raided, by any of the Big 4. See now that kind of forward thinking is why we wanted Aresco.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're wrong, but that's your prerogative.

So then why doesn't the Big 12 add FSU? Why didn't they add them over West Virginia?

Reaction Score
So then why doesn't the Big 12 add FSU? Why didn't they add them over West Virginia?
you first question has no answer because nobody knows. the second question is pretty obvious. wvu applied for membership, fsu didnt. if you recall, wvu was a member of the big east, and desperate to get out. fsu, still a member of the acc isnt desperate to get out yet.
a lot has changed since wvu bolted to the big12, and if you are suggesting wvu was taken over fsu, you are wrong. wvu was taken over uofl.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I think FSU likes a schedule that looks good on paper that they cruise to 10 wins against.

I think that FSU knows their fan base prefers 11-1 against the ACC over 9-3 against the Big 12.

That they realize Louisville has more street cred than UConn when rolling up that record doesn't tell me they actually want a big boy schedule.

In all seriousness...are all of your posts tongue in cheek jokes? I find it hard to imagine that one person is so consistently wrong on virtually every topic he wades into.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's not a question of willing. It's B12 mindset. Maybe it is hard for us to believe, but the Big12 people do not like the east coast. They hated the idea of adding a bunch of appalacian hillbillies as well, but were desperate. It is a midwestern/southwestern league and wants to stay that way. Right now, they can either go west or east. I think they prefer west, but the stronger programs are east. Nevada and BYU might be tolerable, but they aren't FSU and Clemson (or Miami or GT).

Reaction Score

I actually think there is at least a grain of truth in this. Florida State's legend was made rolling over an ACC membership that simply wasn't at their level. They went something like 4years before they lost a conference game and they only lost 3 league games in their first 10 years in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I thought that B12 wasnt going back to 12 _because_ it had schools (ie Texas) didn't want a title game. Why would they want a 10-team conference with a CCG? It would seem like the lesser B12 schools would want more teams to add stability.

Perhaps some type of compromise attempt among the various constituencies?

Reaction Score
I thought that B12 wasnt going back to 12 _because_ it had schools (ie Texas) didn't want a title game. Why would they want a 10-team conference with a CCG? It would seem like the lesser B12 schools would want more teams to add stability.

Im going to be optimistic about this. Remember last week the hot leak was espn was pressuring the Big 12 to take uconn? It didnt make much sense at the time. Now we get this. So was espn saying, look, you need to get a title game and dont wait for the acc to split, not going to happen, so take uconn. Big 12 says let us see if we can get that title game with 10 first.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Im going to be optimistic about this. Remember last week the hot leak was espn was pressuring the Big 12 to take uconn? It didnt make much sense at the time. Now we get this. So was espn saying, look, you need to get a title game and dont wait for the acc to split, not going to happen, so take uconn. Big 12 says let us see if we can get that title game with 10 first.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says:
I like the way you think, son.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

UT does like 10. But the formula under the new playoff system will disadvantage any conference without a CCG. Hence the request. Once declined, they will need to go shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom