Bigs Coach | The Boneyard

Bigs Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I have avoided focusing on one of a few elephants in the room because some of the players are really soccer players not basketball players and they are young, etc.
I also think Miller is a decent coach but one thing he is not is a Bigs coach. Quite frankly, I see little or any progress with the Bigs so now we move a 3 to a 4. After this season some staff changes are painfully obvious. Miller has not proven to be any kind of recruiter and he doesn't develop bigs. I think he does a decent job scouting. But the parts don't add up to Associate Head Coach.
Hobbs I would keep but he might leave anyways but after that I would seriously evaluate are they the right guys you need to support KO and make the team better?

When you win an NC and not one assistant is apparently made a head coach offer it tells you something.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Our bigs are skinny, can't pass, can't dribble, can't box out, can't make a decision with the ball. So, who do you think wants the job of coaching them?

Reaction Score
Our bigs are skinny, can't pass, can't dribble, can't box out, can't make a decision with the ball. So, who do you think wants the job of coaching them?
Perhaps, a successful big man coach and big (time) recruiter to boot. A year removed from a national championship, plenty of quality, experienced assistants would want to coach at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Why are you going after miller? What exactly does Ricky moore bring to that staff? No significant recruiting connections and like Hobbs is a guards
Coach so seems redundant to me

Reaction Score

Someone on the staff needs to explain to Amida that when you attempt a jump hook, your feet should leave the floor and use those long arms to extend. Also wish they would consider running a few plays to get him him the face up jumper.

C

Chief00

Why are you going after miller? What exactly does Ricky moore bring to that staff? No significant recruiting connections and like Hobbs is a guards
Coach so seems redundant to me

As I said put everyone on the table - agree about Ricky too.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Do
Someone on the staff needs to explain to Amida that when you attempt a jump hook, your feet should leave the floor and use those long arms to extend. Also wish they would consider running a few plays to get him him the face up jumper.
Don't you think the coaching staff goes over this time and time again. Don't you think that Ollie has said a thousand times that when the ball goes up to "hit" someone, box out, before going for the rebound. Don't you think the coaches have spent hours with Purvis and others on shooting free throws. Brimah can not be taken seriously as a center until he gains 30lbs. Facey needs to gain 20lbs.
I really can't understand why Brimah turns his back and rolls slowly to the basket and not present himself for a jumper..

C

Chief00

Part of coaching is not only to go over whatever but to have it implemented on the court. If the current players can't listen and implement you find guys who can.
I think this team plays hard and tries but of course their poor shooting starts the chain reaction of transition baskets etc.

The things to me that are unacceptable are unforced turnovers, poor foul shooting, the same repeatable dumb fouls, guys who don't work or know how to put themselves in scoring or rebounding position and poor execution of inbounds plays - where just getting possession inbounds is a win vs attacking with a score off the play.

Is our fanbase spoiled? - of course we are. But these are all things that must be cleaned up immediately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Part of coaching is not only to go over whatever but to have it implemented on the court. If the current players can't listen and implement you find guys who can.
I think this team plays hard and tries but of course their poor shooting starts the chain reaction of transition baskets etc.

The things to me that are unacceptable are unforced turnovers, poor foul shooting, the same repeatable dumb fouls, guys who don't work or know how to put themselves in scoring or rebounding position.

BS Chief. Part of being a good player is not doing the same damn thing wrong all the time. What all of you don't understand is even when these guys have good games vs less than stellar opponents many of these mistakes occur still but are erased or negated by some good stuff. Good teams and good opponents don't allow the good stuff - it's really that simple.

C

Chief00

Don't disagree players continuously make the same mistakes. Granted, part of the problem is there are not enough good players, so you can't bench a guy for repeatedly making the same poor play. Jim used that as a teaching tool even to the point of saying someone sucked and they are out there and you aren't.

Reaction Score
Considering the growth of players should begin with finding players. With no NCAA they got Nolan and he has improved less than you want, but certainly to expectations considering he was a late get untaken in a picked over market. Brimah was a hunk of gold in the pan. Coaching has brought him along fast and designed a way to make him effective sometimes despite his weaknesses. Facey has been disappointing since he was the too recruit, but he is growing just not as fast as the BY wanted.

C

Chief00

Can you ask Andre if he knows someone?

Why would I say AD was going to be at a game unless I had reason to expect it. Sometimes plans change or things get miscommunicated. Make what you want of it.

People are going to notice if he is at Gampel or not, your conspiracy theory is downright silly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Don't disagree players continuously make the same mistakes. Granted, part of the problem is there are not enough good players, so you can't bench a guy for repeatedly making the same poor play. Jim used that as a teaching tool even to the point of saying someone sucked and they are out there and you aren't.

Okay so let's look at it this way. Hasheem, Emeka learned form their mistakes and were good students and these guys aren't - they IQ is awful, can't teach smarts. We've said that all along. Heck I could watch film with Amida and Facey and tell them what they weren't doing and then go to the gym and explain how to do it. You don't need a "bigs" coach to teach these kids what NOT to do every game. They're not very smart at all, that's the only point here.

Reaction Score
Why would I say AD was going to be at a game unless I had reason to expect it. Sometimes plans change or things get miscommunicated. Make what you want of it.

People are going to notice if he is at Gampel or not, your conspiracy theory is downright silly.
California instead of Connecticut is 3,000 miles of miscommunication. And you are catching crap for pretending to be Drummond's best friend, not because you said he would be there and he wasn't.

Reaction Score

Just bustin' your balls man. You made it sound like you were sitting right next to him and hanging out w/ him when he was thousands of miles away and when called out on it, tried to imply that everyone else was wrong. Your credibility fell apart on that one, Chief...

Reaction Score
I have avoided focusing on one of a few elephants in the room because some of the players are really soccer players not basketball players and they are young, etc.
I also think Miller is a decent coach but one thing he is not is a Bigs coach. Quite frankly, I see little or any progress with the Bigs so now we move a 3 to a 4. After this season some staff changes are painfully obvious. Miller has not proven to be any kind of recruiter and he doesn't develop bigs. I think he does a decent job scouting. But the parts don't add up to Associate Head Coach.
Hobbs I would keep but he might leave anyways but after that I would seriously evaluate are they the right guys you need to support KO and make the team better?

When you win an NC and not one assistant is apparently made a head coach offer it tells you something.

I don't think he's a decent coach, in a previous life he wouldn't play a kid who the year after miller left was the leading scorer in the ivy....recognizing talent is the first thing......this was a local kid who almost transferred because of him. We can get someone better.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not going to speculate about anyone specific leaving the current staff, but man wouldn't it be great if we could land Pervis Ellison, his kid, and Carter as a package deal? Would kill many birds with one stone (actually, no Stone but who cares?).

Reaction Score
scotty0330 said:
Why are you going after miller? What exactly does Ricky moore bring to that staff? No significant recruiting connections and like Hobbs is a guards Coach so seems redundant to me

Let's see - we won a national title last year with Moore on the staff. We won in large part because our guards destroyed their counterparts on defense. Just destroyed them. Ricky is the best defensive guard we've ever had. Could be just coincidence, but if Ray joined the staff and suddenly our guys started reading screens off the ball and burying jumpers, we might point his way a little. I don't think it's a reach to say that Bazz, Boat and even Purvis have gotten better on D due partially to Moore's coaching.

He's also the bottom assistant on the totem pole, so he's developing his connections. Your third assistant is typically not going to have widespread connections and have developed top-notch recruiting chops, or else they'd be a first assistant.

Reaction Score
When you recruit a lot of "developmental" bigs, and you fail to develop them, you get the frontcourt we have now.

Reaction Score
Bigs coach?

The current "bigs" coach would look a lot better if they recruited better bigs.

Reaction Score
We have not had a good big man since okafor IMO. AD should have been better, but was too busy counting NBA $$. We were lucky to get what we did out of Thabeet.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Quite frankly I think the coaching staff has nightmares about Dyson, and, as a result of disrupted sleep, are unable to coach this team properly. Furthermore AD WM brings the team donuts getting them out of shape. President Herbst needs JL to give her a refresher on dancing moves because the team does not have a pre game dance to get them fired up and Herbst should provide that.

And Andre might have been the best person to have advised Gringo what to do on valentines day. Not!!!!!

Reaction Score
Jaker said:
We have not had a good big man since okafor IMO. AD should have been better, but was too busy counting NBA $$. We were lucky to get what we did out of Thabeet.

We've sent 6 bigs to the NBA since then (Boone, Armstrong, CV, Adrien, Thabeet, Drummond). You could fudge it up to 8 if you count folks who were draft picks and haven't made it, then call DD a 4, and claim 3/4 of Oriakhi and round up.

If you're only counting NPOY candidates as "good", you may be waiting a long time for another.

Reaction Score
We've sent 6 bigs to the NBA since then (Boone, Armstrong, CV, Adrien, Thabeet, Drummond). You could fudge it up to 8 if you count folks who were draft picks and haven't made it, then call DD a 4, and claim 3/4 of Oriakhi and round up.

If you're only counting NPOY candidates as "good", you may be waiting a long time for another.

ok, I forgot about CV, Boone was pretty good. Hilton played along side a bunch of great players so we was given a lot of easy gifts and drop off. I thinking about a bonnafide center with a low post game. But to be fair, there have not been many lately in college hoops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom