Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent

Reaction Score
Bigger question is how do you randomly decide to be a UConn fan? Kid went there? If not, you may have issues with self-hatred. There may be medicine to help you stop being a UConn fan...
are you asking me? if so, i went to uconn for a grad degree. my undergrad alma mater has a prominent D3 football program, consistently in the NCAA playoffs and contenders for a national title - but, its D3 at a research university so no one cares. So i wanted to find someone in FBS to cheer for. lo and behold, connecticut was my only "relevant" option.

Reaction Score
Liberty doesn’t count. Besides, Marc D’Amelio is a better NIL ambassador than Jerry Falwell.
Respectfully - liberty counts. politics aside, they are doing their "football development" right and are on the way up. you don't need to agree with their values to acknowledge that wins don't lie. Yeah yeah, C-USA, etc. etc. - I know.
Let us not be too proud in our worldview, to refuse good examples of indep/G5 football management when we see it.

bottom line - They are getting G5 anddd P4 wins, keep hiring the right coaches even after guys leave* (uconn take note) , and spending money on their program, to attract NFL caliber players. They are consistently represented in the draft now. That will move the needle for your newest recruit who's also weighing an offer to a mid-tier P4 school (pitt/wake/kansas/WVU).

there is something to be learned about what Liberty is doing (see * above).

Last edited:

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Respectfully - liberty counts. politics aside, they are doing their "football development" right and are on the way up. you don't need to agree with their values to acknowledge that wins don't lie. Yeah yeah, C-USA, etc. etc. - I know.
Let us not be too proud in our worldview, to refuse good examples of indep/G5 football management when we see it.

bottom line - They are getting G5 anddd P4 wins, keep hiring the right coaches even after guys leave* (uconn take note) , and spending money on their program, to attract NFL caliber players. They are consistently represented in the draft now. That will move the needle for your newest recruit who's also weighing an offer to a mid-tier P4 school (pitt/wake/kansas/WVU).

I just meant, they don’t count in terms of us “keeping up with the Joneses”… I don’t care if they spend more than us or not, we can still out recruit and out perform them in the long run.

Reaction Score
Just curious, why do you think no other G5 program shouldn’t be able to put together a NIL package at the same level as UConn?
There may be a couple of G5 schools that could match UConn in NIL spending, but not many. And, there aren't any G5 schools with UConn's athletic department spend. Heck, UConn's AD outspends Memphis' AD by 50%

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, I haven't looked at the data on this to be certain, but I would expect fan base size, and number of fans willing to donate to NIL to be higher at a flagship like UConn compared to a school like Central Michigan, for example. UConn also has a bigger "brand name" than those other schools due to the basketball program. I suppose a school like Boise State may have a strong enough fanbase to be allocating enough money to football NIL to have more than UConn, but at minimum, I would think UConn should be among the top G5 schools for football NIL.

When I signed up for Storrs Central, I didn't specify "I want my $100 to go to the basketball team exclusively." I would bet that many people signing up there are doing so for basketball coverage/support, but that money is helping the football team as well. How many G5 schools can do that?
Don't compare against CMU. Compare against Boise and Memphis

Reaction Score
They also have a for profit business behind them, so it's not apples to apples comparison
I just meant, they don’t count in terms of us “keeping up with the Joneses”… I don’t care if they spend more than us or not, we can still out recruit and out perform them in the long run.

Reaction Score
Liberty doesn’t count. Besides, Marc D’Amelio is a better NIL ambassador than Jerry Falwell.

Falwell has nothing to do with Liberty and he is embroiled in a public feud with the President.

Also they totally do count. Touch grass and stop looking at the world through New England colored glasses.

Reaction Score
Even with the 247 ding, the portal class is currently ranked 70th according to their rankings. UConn slots in at 12th among G5 teams.

Rumors on Storrs Central indicate there are two more players expected to commit as well.

That ranking is biased towards quantity not quality.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Can we get a back up kicker? We lost 2 to the portal who were very very good. If The IU kid is gonna start and stubs his toe like McF did, then what? Folks here continue to laugh that we go for 2 and Special Teams don’t matter.

Reaction Score
Can we get a back up kicker? We lost 2 to the portal who were very very good. If The IU kid is gonna start and stubs his toe like McF did, then what? Folks here continue to laugh that we go for 2 and Special Teams don’t matter.
Joe McFadden made 53.8% of his FGs last year which is near the bottom of FBS kickers. He was never the same after he was injured. Ruelas didn't play much last year, so who knows? UConn does have a backup kicker on the roster although he is listed as a punter, Seth Turner who was on the team last year.

Reaction Score
Can we get a back up kicker?
UConn does have a backup kicker on the roster although he is listed as a punter, Seth Turner who was on the team last year.
Yup…

Seth Turner • Class of 2023 • Kickers

-> Seth is a very talented high school kicking and punting prospect. He is a great looking athlete with big college potential. Seth does an excellent job on field goal. He gets the ball up well off the ground and easily has 50+ yard range. His kickoffs are strong. He drives the ball into the endzone with good hang time. Seth is also an excellent punting prospect. He punts for a nice combination of distance and hang time. Seth is a competitor who does well under pressure. I really like his all around upside. He has all the tools to be a special college player. He is a fine young man who is always a great pleasure to work with. Strong combo prospect. OFFER NOW!!! Great addition for UCONN.

Accomplishments

Major Chris Sailer Kicking Camp Accomplishments:
2022 Vegas XXXIX Field Goal Finalist
2022 Vegas XXXIX Class of 2023 Field Goal Champion
2022 TX Spring Camp Punt Champion <-

Reaction Score
I'm not going to say everyone added since the weekend will be great.
But overall, this is the largest upgrade in talent based off D1 production this program has ever had.
No FCS players. All FBS and many with a bunch of snaps on file.

I think the upgrade at the QB position helped us - certainly if you are a receiver and you see the likes of Evers an Welliver, you might be thinking why not UConn! Hiring a new O Coordinator and Defensive one - as a player, you got to think it helps. And also, I’ve always liked our schedule and fact is, if you’re a good player at UConn, yes you can get a good look by the NFL scouts. So why not UConn?

This year I just want to see us do things like play better as the game goes on, win some close games, and most importantly, establish ourselves as a team that even with bad reffing on the road, is a team to be reckoned with.

Reaction Score
It’s been a monumental couple of days, it’s the type of thing a local sports beat should be all over. Can’t wait to read all the coverage!!!
Who is supposed to write it? There are no newspapers left. It is Hearst and a couple of people at the courant.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call this a very difficult schedule nor a schedule filled with a lot of high-level competition.

Yes, you can chalk up the Maryland game and three ACC games as likely losses, but outside of that, every other game should be considered winnable. Aside from Wake, they are slated to only face one other top-100 SP+ team at home. Go 5-2 at home and win the UMass game on the road and you have your 6-6 season. I don't feel that is all that unreasonable.

45. MarylandAway
MerrimackHome
48. DukeAway
114. FAUHome
130. BuffaloHome
128. TempleHome
72. Wake ForestHome
92. RiceHome
116. Georgia St.Home
101. UABAway
61. SyracuseAway
118. UMassAway
Incredibly easy schedule.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Liberty counts in so many ways. Period.

Reaction Score
Incredibly easy schedule.
I think it is a “typical” G 5 schedule for 8 games. Then it is above average for 4. Rare to see a G5 team play 4 P4 teams. Add that we play 3 on the road and it will be a challenge. The positive is we have no Michigan/Clemson/Ohio State type opponent. Some people like us to play those games but I much prefer competitive ones. Getting beat 55-7 with the 3s playing in the 3rd quarter is not beneficial. It would be helpful if at least 1 of Maryland, Duke, Wake Forest or Syracuse had a bad year, too.

Reaction Score
Even with the 247 ding, the portal class is currently ranked 70th according to their rankings. UConn slots in at 12th among G5 teams.

Rumors on Storrs Central indicate there are two more players expected to commit as well.

Look forward to hearing about the next two! !!!

Reaction Score
Don't compare against CMU. Compare against Boise and Memphis
This post at a Minnesota message board shows the top NIL teams in the P4, along with the top G5 teams. Also, for what it's worth, I did mention Boise in the post you quoted if you read the whole thing.

That poster's G5 valuations based on on3:

G5 NIL Notables:
AAC: SMU 2.1 mil, Tulane 1.5 mil
C-USA: Western Kentucky 1.1 mil
MAC: Toledo 2.5 mil, Western Michigan 1.2 mil
MW: Biose State 2 mil
SBC: James Madison 1.9 mil, App State 1.4 mil

They have said on Storrs Central that we made about a 900% increase in NIL from last year to this year. I find it hard to believe we can't be right with, or above, all of the teams listed. I would be very surprised to hear our football team isn't at or above the teams listed, especially considering the QB they just brought in. I've looked on on3's website and can't seem to find UConn football's player valuations. I may just not know where to go.

Reaction Score

Weren't Cincinnati and Ville conference USA not that long ago?

Reaction Score
Weren't Cincinnati and Ville conference USA not that long ago?
It was 19 years ago (2004-05 was their final year; they joined the Big East with USF, Marquette & DePaul for the 2005-06 school year).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom