Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Biggest Single 72 Hour Upgrade in Talent

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think it is a “typical” G 5 schedule for 8 games. Then it is above average for 4. Rare to see a G5 team play 4 P4 teams. Add that we play 3 on the road and it will be a challenge. The positive is we have no Michigan/Clemson/Ohio State type opponent. Some people like us to play those games but I much prefer competitive ones. Getting beat 55-7 with the 3s playing in the 3rd quarter is not beneficial. It would be helpful if at least 1 of Maryland, Duke, Wake Forest or Syracuse had a bad year, too.
We average 4 P4 games a year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
coaches who can’t evolve…”they’ve got issues”
When I was a kid (far too many years ago) there was a very popular expression: "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

Not sure where it came from but it basically illustrates that you can do things different ways and still reach your goal.

One major issue with RE was that he only saw one path to getting to the level we wanted. It did work his first time here but when he replaced Diaco we were in no position to strip it down to the surface so to speak and then start building. Unfortunately that was the only way RE knew and it set us back even further

Reaction Score
Yes. Which no other G5 does. Makes winning more than 8 a huge challenge.
P4 Football is where we aspire to be. Rutgers, Vanderbilt and Syracuse have to play 9 or 10 P4 games a year. I think 4 is the perfect number for us at this time. 6-7 wins next year with one a P4 upset would be good progress.

Schedule differentiates us from other P4’s. How soon can we average 8 W’s for 3 years running? Would it move the needle in time to make a difference?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As of today it looks like we’ve gotten commitments from 11.2% of the 2024 kids we reached out to. Unsure how that compares to other schools.

Reaction Score
i take it as this is part of our last stand to get into the P4 this decade... maybe ever. I suspect the table is set for an invite, from SOMEONE at the big table. They want our basketball but even with the back2back on the boys side, the revenue splits/financials just don't work out to invite us if our football brings nothing to the table.

I would not be surprised if below the table, AD.DB/HCJM have been given clear outlines of what a P4 needs to see out of us, in order to clear the way with member university presidents. I won't pretend to know specifics, but a bowl-worthy season has to be the minimum floor, i'd imagine. That, and assuming our m/w basketball stay elite, and i could see a clear path to an invite.

OR i'm full of horse manure and i'm filling you up with fools hope.
The fearful pessimist in me wonders if, like in the last few seconds sprint in a cycling workout, we're going all-out right now knowing full well that the runway to sustain this spending is super short - and if we miss again on the invite, that's officially curtains on the UConn FBS experiment.
I would think UConn would prefer to just long-term park football in the CAA, move our facilities to a basement somewhere, Fundraise via bake sales, and ignore us forever, before putting all sports in the MAC or SBC/CUSA for our sake.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If that were the case, I'd have expected them to go out and make a big OC hire and have let Charlton go earlier. I don't say that as a criticism or lack of faith in Sammis. I've liked everything he's said so far and seems like a sharp guy and I'm excited to see what the offense does this season, but if this is really the Alamo.. then I think going with a first time OC that for all intents and purposes deserves this opportunity and has earned it isn't necessarily a "get us in a conference now" move.

Reaction Score
If that were the case, I'd have expected them to go out and make a big OC hire and have let Charlton go earlier. I don't say that as a criticism or lack of faith in Sammis. I've liked everything he's said so far and seems like a sharp guy and I'm excited to see what the offense does this season, but if this is really the Alamo.. then I think going with a first time OC that for all intents and purposes deserves this opportunity and has earned it isn't necessarily a "get us in a conference now" move.
Disagree on the Sammis hire. Mora is an old experienced hand. He didn’t take this job to fail. It’s may be our last stand, I’m sure it’s his. His hire of Sammis is one of belief, and trust. Yes, a leap of faith too, but he saw what he wants.
#SomethingsDifferent

Reaction Score

Not like the Alamo, like Guadalcanal or D Day.

Reaction Score
fair, but there's only so much money. I would venture to say it still gives "alamo" vibes even without the OC hire - perhaps we can't get the splashy OC hire and keep NIL money up. If i were HCJM, do i spend the thin money on another coach? or on some PLAYERS who can actually play at this level? No OC was going to pull off the miracle we need, with recruits who otherwise only got offered by Monmouth, Wagner, and Akron. HCJM essentally said something to this effect in that epic speech about needing more money and stop crying if you're not sending money. So i'll take Sammis + some Dawgs all day - humbly i believe it puts us way closer to keeping up with Big12 / ACC schools, than a skilled position coach would

Last edited:
Reaction Score
fair, but there's only so much money. I would venture to say it still gives "alamo" vibes even without the OC hire - perhaps we can't get the splashy OC hire and keep NIL money up. If i were HCJM, do i spend the thin money on another coach? or on some PLAYERS who can actually play at this level? No OC was going to pull off the miracle we need, with recruits who otherwise only got offered by Monmouth, Wagner, and Akron. HCJM essentally said something to this effect in that epic speech about needing more money and stop crying if you're not sending money. So i'll take Sammis + some Dawgs all day - humbly i believe it puts us way closer to keeping up with Big12 / ACC schools, than a skilled position coach would
Only counterpoint I'll make is, the athletic department cannot spend money on players. The players are funded by the NIL money, which is independent from school funding. The athletic department can spend money on the staff and program. It's two different "bank accounts" so to speak. The school spends on the program and "we the people" spend on the athletes. So Mora can't use the thin money left on players. He has to use it on coaches/staff.

In any case, I think everyone is aligned that if there's a time to strike, it's right now. Men's basketball are B2B champs, the women's team is perennially top 5 and we're competitive in pretty much every other sport whether baseball, softball, hockey, field hockey, T&F, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom