Biggest recruiting losses | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Biggest recruiting losses

Reaction Score
Courtney Alexander was transferring from Virginia to UConn but UConn rejected him. Not that UConn needed him because they won the whole thing but he was a big time player and it would've been interesting to see how he would've fit in on the '99 team.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I remember us being in Ty Lawson final 3 and him having heavy interest in us. Also do y’all remember Ramar Smith from Detroit? I know he was committed to us at one point but I liked him at Tennessee and didn’t know what happened with that recruitment. I also remember us having a lead in the recruitment of Rico Pickett who I thought was a very good college player. I also feel like Ronnie Brewer being a legacy recruit for Arkansas was the reason for him not picking UCONN. KD gotta but up here as well as we were in his final 3

He committed to UConn and they had to pull the offer for academics.

Three seconds after that, Doug Wiggins decided to decommit from St. John’s…

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He was a lock to go to UConn until he wasn’t - it was one of those situations that UConn just was his leader for so long that it almost got stale. His mom did not want him at UConn - she wanted him at UNC. Kid kinda split the difference and went somewhere else.

UConn played at FSU in his freshman season and beat FSU senseless - lost to them later that season in the NIT though.

But like with Turner, losing Jackson brought the players who won the first title here.

Other good “misses”:
*Lost out on Kelvin Torbert, got Gordon instead
*Lost out on Isaiah Fox, got Emeka
*Got the second best Lamb

Just a few big ones off the top of my head

Reaction Score
Other good “misses”:

Brandon Jennings got Kemba instead
Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Cory Joseph got Shabazz instead
Jabarie Hinds spurned UConn and chose West Virginia a day after Boatright committed to West Virginia. Boat then chose UConn.

Reaction Score
Courtney Alexander was transferring from Virginia to UConn but UConn rejected him. Not that UConn needed him because they won the whole thing but he was a big time player and it would've been interesting to see how he would've fit in on the '99 team.
I think Courtney and Lamar Odom we’re both looking to transfer to UConn but KEA and RIP got in trouble in Hartford to squash that.

Reaction Score
Brandon Jennings got Kemba instead
Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Cory Joseph got Shabazz instead
Jabarie Hinds spurned UConn and chose West Virginia a day after Boatright committed to West Virginia. Boat then chose UConn.
I remember after that disappointing 2010 season, we were all begging Brandon Knight, Josh Selby, Cory Joseph, Doron Lamb, or CJ Leslie to commit. Neither of them did, and as you pointed out, that eventually led to us getting Shabazz, Niels Giffey, and that turned out OK.

Reaction Score
Diamond Stone.

Losing him was a key reason the program started to slip.

Cockburn

We bounce back faster if he comes to Storrs.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
vin baker. calhoun coached hs at lyme, and how he missed vinny from saybrook is beyond me.
'Entering his final season, Baker was called "America's Best-Kept Secret" by Sports Illustrated and the conference's most dominant player since Reggie Lewis by Street & Smith's College/Prep Basketball Preview.'
4 consecutive year run as an nba all-star.

Reaction Score
vin baker. calhoun coached hs at lyme, and how he missed vinny from saybrook is beyond me.
'Entering his final season, Baker was called "America's Best-Kept Secret" by Sports Illustrated and the conference's most dominant player since Reggie Lewis by Street & Smith's College/Prep Basketball Preview.'
4 consecutive year run as an nba all-star.
JC coached at Lyme in 1968 - 69. Vin Baker was born in 1971. Still, I guess he should have known though.

Reaction Score
Baker grew like 6 inches in the 6 months before he enrolled at UHa. JC didn’t make a mistake, Vin just became an overnight freak.

Reaction Score
Baker grew like 6 inches in the 6 months before he enrolled at UHa. JC didn’t make a mistake, Vin just became an overnight freak.
University of Hartford had an amazing eye for talent back then. They also got one of Tim Duncan's few college visits.

Reaction Score
Other good “misses”:

All the pgs who passed to get bazz who moved up a year.
same with Kemba.

Reaction Score
I've posted this here before, but I was told from a source very close to the situation that he actually told the staff on his visit that he was committing to UConn. Of course this person also said Durant told the UNC staff that he was committing to them too, and then spurned both of them when he committed to Texas. So maybe he just didn't like to say no to anyone.
I hate to resurrect a year and a half old thread but saw this tweet and wanted to post it. If anyone ever doubted my story then here you go. I never lie. :)

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I never believed Diallo was coming here, and it was probably for the best. He would have been anointed by our fanbase and then killed for an underwhelming single season in Storrs.
Likely correct. Great athlete with underwhelming hoop skills.

Reaction Score
Camby, it would've been one of the best college teams ever and UConn would've had a title or 2 before '99.
This. End of the discussion. Could you imagine what that team wouldve been in those three years with with Ray Allen? I have no doubt we win it all in 96 and had a legit shot in 94 and 95. All three of those teams wouldve been loaded and Camby was a perfect compliment to all three of those teams. Can you imagine Camby as a freshmen with Ray also a frosh paired up with Donyell?:eek:

Reaction Score
I always thought this was a no-brainer, it's Billy Curley. People forget what a force he was. He made BCU good and they went to the Elite 8 beating UNC with Curley and 4 guards. Dean Smith was crying that they were too physical. He would have fit those teams that lost to FL and UCLA like a glove. Our starting lineup would have been Curley, Marshall, Marshall, Ollie and Ray Allen. Who's beating that?
Would not have got Donyell if Curly came

Reaction Score
Camby, it would've been one of the best college teams ever and UConn would've had a title or 2 before '99.
I can promise you that Camby was the most entertaining one, followed by Ryan Gomes. Just like on the Boneyard, some of the most memorable moments tend to be some of the most contentious ones. They bring out the best and worst in people. It’s fun to engage when there’s some disagreement. If everyone always agreed, life would be boring. I only wish Calhoun and Calipari had followed up with a Celebrity Death Match….one can always dream.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom