Biggest joke of a sport: NASCAR | The Boneyard

Biggest joke of a sport: NASCAR

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Instead of the Tour de France replay I was expecting on my DVR, I got the NASCAR race from "revered" Indy with 10 laps remaining. The race wasn't over for another 55 minutes. I think they only made one complete lap during the entire debacle. The embarrassing racing was bad enough. What was troubling about this from a sport point of view was the fact that they clearly called the race off before they should have just to get it over with.

The telecast made it a point to show you (in slow motion no less) that the lead car made it past the "overtime line" after the caution flag was dropped. That makes the race end under the yellow flag. They made no mention of the fact it took 5 seconds to drop that flag. Five seconds is an eternity in auto racing. I've seen them hold off a few beats before they drop the yellow, usually in the case of a 1-car wreck when the guy can get out of trouble. In this case, a guy goes sideways and takes out a bunch of cars. NASCAR clearly realized the race had turned to farce so they put an end to it. But they clearly went outside their norms to end that race. I can't say rules because NASCAR doesn't make their rules public, like wrestling. Another case of situational enforcement in NASCAR. A while back, Jack Arute said NASCAR was 80% competition 20% show. With crap like today and all of the gimmicks they've added to scoring lately, I think the show percentage has passed the 50% mark.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
No longer watch it. Nose-to-tail laps at 190 or so until someone makes a mistake. Now......What is this race-within-the-race thing? 3 or 4 "sets?" Used to love watching the full-sized cars that were actually cars. Bah Humbug.

Reaction Score
Instead of the Tour de France replay I was expecting on my DVR, I got the NASCAR race from "revered" Indy with 10 laps remaining. The race wasn't over for another 55 minutes. I think they only made one complete lap during the entire debacle. The embarrassing racing was bad enough. What was troubling about this from a sport point of view was the fact that they clearly called the race off before they should have just to get it over with.

The telecast made it a point to show you (in slow motion no less) that the lead car made it past the "overtime line" after the caution flag was dropped. That makes the race end under the yellow flag. They made no mention of the fact it took 5 seconds to drop that flag. Five seconds is an eternity in auto racing. I've seen them hold off a few beats before they drop the yellow, usually in the case of a 1-car wreck when the guy can get out of trouble. In this case, a guy goes sideways and takes out a bunch of cars. NASCAR clearly realized the race had turned to farce so they put an end to it. But they clearly went outside their norms to end that race. I can't say rules because NASCAR doesn't make their rules public, like wrestling. Another case of situational enforcement in NASCAR. A while back, Jack Arute said NASCAR was 80% competition 20% show. With crap like today and all of the gimmicks they've added to scoring lately, I think the show percentage has passed the 50% mark.

In all reality they are both total jokes when it come to watching on TV. I mean why? And you can't go and watch Tour De France unless you have a copter. And I get there are tons of gear head fans who love NASCAR and admittedly I have never gone to an event, nor will I see no value in wasting my day to left turn, left turn, left turn.

Reaction Score
Will take another huge hit next year when Jr. retires.

I've been to 1-2 in the past, fun watching the fat, drunk rednecks scream "Ford Suuuuccckkkkssss......Chevy Suuuccckkkssss" back-n-forth

Reaction Score
In all reality they are both total jokes when it come to watching on TV. I mean why? And you can't go and watch Tour De France unless you have a copter. And I get there are tons of gear head fans who love NASCAR and admittedly I have never gone to an event, nor will I see no value in wasting my day to left turn, left turn, left turn.
I would imagine a big part of it is the festive experience, kind of like tailgating at a UConn vs. Holy Cross game. A trip to Lime Rock is a pretty good way to spend a day.

Reaction Score
I would imagine a big part of it is the festive experience, kind of like tailgating at a UConn vs. Holy Cross game. A trip to Lime Rock is a pretty good way to spend a day.

I have heard that about Lime Rock which is in a beautiful area of the state. My son was there yesterday as his company had a customer day there on site with a little tech show for them and food. Said they put on a nice show for them and the venue was ideal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom