Big time ESPN exec at AAC golf outing in Rhode Island | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big time ESPN exec at AAC golf outing in Rhode Island

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice if ESPN sent anyone to actually report on Media Day or did they just eat lobster and play golf?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice if ESPN sent anyone to actually report on Media Day or did they just eat lobster and play golf?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I'd rather the AAC execs wine and dine the ESPN personnel that write checks than worry about ESPN personnel who write blogs.

Unfortunately it's safe to say the check writers aren't writing checks and the bloggers are writing blogs.

Reaction Score
Hired Kevin Ollie. Hired a great, great prospect for a hockey coach. Extended Auriemma's contract. Helped accelerate fundraising for the basketball practice facility.

The man went to Michigan. Don't think he has pride in what he does?

Is there any way I can get into this clambake next year??

Let me first say that we will agree on much more than we disagree on. Let's look at your points, however.

Ollie? Calhoun's hire - pure and simple. Everyone saw Calhoun shoe-horn Ollie into that position and thank God he did.

Good get with Cavanaugh, although a lot of coaching talent was knocking at the door. Jury's out - we'll see.

Extending Auriemma's contract? Well, in the no brainer category, this tops the list. You or I would have done it. Oh BTW, as far as Geno is concerned, where is he going to get $2+mm/year to coach NCAA women's BB?

Fundraising? I have different information then you on who made that happen.

I am sure he is prideful, but we need more than that. It gnaws at me that he monitored from a far the ACC beauty contest for the UMD spot. Say what you will, Jurich burned up the phone lines talking and talking again to anybody who would listen about Louisville during that critical Thanksgiving week last year. Jurich said UConn wasn't penciled in, it was inked in. I don't believe Jurich would say this at the expense of Manuel to pump up his own stature. I believe that was his honest and actual assessment of the situation. It is clear that Manuel could have done more. Whether it would have mattered, we'll never know. But it would not have hurt. That, in and of itself, is troubling and not in the style of a "Rock Star".

Cambake? Where?

Reaction Score
I am sure he is prideful, but we need more than that. It gnaws at me that he monitored from a far the ACC beauty contest for the UMD spot. Say what you will, Jurich burned up the phone lines talking and talking again to anybody who would listen about Louisville during that critical Thanksgiving week last year. Jurich said UConn wasn't penciled in, it was inked in. I don't believe Jurich would say this at the expense of Manuel to pump up his own stature. I believe that was his honest and actual assessment of the situation. It is clear that Manuel could have done more. Whether it would have mattered, we'll never know. But it would not have hurt. That, in and of itself, is troubling and not in the style of a "Rock Star".

Cambake? Where?
Unfortunately, when you're "inked" in, it's easy to take things for granted. Jurich beat him out psychologically.

The one in Newport. RI isn't so bad.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, when you're "inked" in, it's easy to take things for granted. Jurich beat him out psychologically.

Ain't that the truth... And we know that nothing, absolutely nothing, can be taken for granted in the CR game. All we both know at this point is that UConn is at a very critical juncture. We don't belong there, but there we are. We need everyone involved in Storrs waking up every day and having first on the list - "How do we advance UConn on the CR front today?"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I am sure he is prideful, but we need more than that. It gnaws at me that he monitored from a far the ACC beauty contest for the UMD spot. Say what you will, Jurich burned up the phone lines talking and talking again to anybody who would listen about Louisville during that critical Thanksgiving week last year. Jurich said UConn wasn't penciled in, it was inked in. I don't believe Jurich would say this at the expense of Manuel to pump up his own stature.

There is a myth perpetuated here that UConn was not on the phone to anyone and everyone who could help them gain entry into the ACC.

It's inaccurate.

Also, UConn was never 'inked in' as Jurich liked to say during his self-aggrandizing victory lap.

Amazing how UConn can be a lock and yet at the same time we're to believe that Florida State and Clemson were leaving immediately if we were invited.

Reaction Score
Butch,
Ollie was forced on him over his objections. Cavanaugh has proven exactly nothing so far. He managed to tick off Aurriema before finally signing him. As far as having pride is concerned, his problem isn't having pride in what he does. It is having a clue. His list of failures is at least as long as his successes. At least.

Ok, I'll bite. Please name a failure or two that he is 100% responsible for. And absolutely do not use Louisville. We never had a prayer

As far as KO is concerned, there is not one manager, worth his or her salt, that would allow a hire as important as the JC replacement to be shoved up his ass. I blame JC for the way that was handled and respect WM for not being pushed around. In the end, we got a, seemingly, great coach and JC found out that WM is not a whiny little wimp like Hathaway. JC IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN UCONN'S RECENT HISTORY. But, that does not excuse acting like a bully in the KO affair.

What was he supposed to do with Geno? Roll over because the guy has won championships that absolutely no one, outside our State, cares about. Look, Geno is a great coach, but UCONN has to be about FB and, to a lessor but significant extent, MBB. The women's BB program is the best in the world. That has equaled zero money (SNY=pocket lint) and zero athletic gravitas. If the program went away tomorrow, it wouldn't even move the needle on the CR meter. How much is a WBB coach worth to you? More than FB? More than MBB? I would sacrifice Geno, in a heart beat, for a Big-5 TV deal. How many good FB coaches will come to a school where they can't make more that the WBB coach? Perception!

Hockey coach? Can we at least lace up the skates before we decide?

Look, I don't know if WM is the guy. But to expect him to rollover in two situations that the entire AD was watching is not close to fair. And, in the end, it worked out. Both coaches are under contract.

Reaction Score
Ain't that the truth... And we know that nothing, absolutely nothing, can be taken for granted in the CR game. All we both know at this point is that UConn is at a very critical juncture. We don't belong there, but there we are. We need everyone involved in Storrs waking up every day and having first on the list - "How do we advance UConn on the CR front today?"
Academically, our potential is the sky. Located right in the "Knowledge Corridor". Only major public university besides UMass located in that area. I am not even sweating it. Gotta play the game.

FWIW, as silly as it may sound to some, UMass has AAU aspirations.

Reaction Score
I am afraid he is clueless. SH will not go there, however, because he is her "Rock Star". Further, the rest of the UConn leadership, including the BOT, seem brain dead on the CR issue. Note that there has been ZERO scuttlebutt on the BOT being engaged on this issue at all.

Freescooter, are you making up fake user names (Sea Goat) and talking to yourself again, agreing with everything you post?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There is a myth perpetuated here that UConn was not on the phone to anyone and everyone who could help them gain entry into the ACC.

It's inaccurate.

Also, UConn was never 'inked in' as Jurich liked to say during his self-aggrandizing victory lap.

Amazing how UConn can be a lock and yet at the same time we're to believe that Florida State and Clemson were leaving immediately if we were invited.
Maybe they were Fishy. But during the same period of time Louisville is doing a media blitz, UConn was... silent. I'm not sure that UConn could have overcome FSU's power play, but the narrative, not just on this board, is that we were out hustled by Jurich and L'ville. As we have seen far, far too often in CR, perception > reality.

Say what you will, but it wasn't the athletic department's finest hour.

Reaction Score
Freescooter, are you making up fake user names (Sea Goat) and talking to yourself again, agreing with everything you post?

No Matt, I'm here - not a Freescooter pen name.

Do you ever add anything insightful here? Why don't you start by adding - "Well, Freescooter, I guess that you and Sea Goat are proof that great minds think alike!"

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I expect ESPN execs would play golf with anyone who was willing to basically give content away to a network that is losing more of it every year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No Matt, I'm here - not a Freescooter pen name.

Do you ever add anything insightful here? Why don't you start by adding - "Well, Freescooter, I guess that you and Sea Goat are proof that great minds think alike!"
I don't know how great your minds are but in anything JC and KO the two of you are as far apart as possible. One of his big burns about WM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom