Big Ten's Next Move | The Boneyard

Big Ten's Next Move

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reverse their decision to add Rutgers to the conference. Why?

1. Rutgers AD knew about Mike Rice summer of 2012.
2. Pernetti covered up this thing to conclude Big Ten negotiations.
3. Currently no men's basketball coach at Rutgers.
4. Currently no athletic director at Rutgers.
5. Soon to be no president at Rutgers.

The Big Ten does not want to take on another school with moral issues after Penn State. There were talks about getting rid of Penn State during the Sandusky incident. Bringing in another school along the same moral lines of Rutgers (except in this instance everyone at Rutgers knew what was going on and looked the other way for the big Big Ten television deal and more $$$$).

Herbst/Manuel are on the phone now with Delaney and are ready to walk over Rutgers into Big Ten glory!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
HFD? Is that you?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 10 probably told Rutgers to keep it under wraps as long as possible.

Reaction Score
The Big 10 probably told Rutgers to keep it under wraps as long as possible.

Well when that becomes a valid point, it also goes to show that college athletics have become about everything but student athletes. The NCAA needs a change in leadership. The conference landscape should go down the drain. Money money money have ruined what college sports is all about. All you need to look at is Mark Emmert's press conference yesterday at the Final Four. He couldn't respond when asked about the Freeh Report or the Auburn situation or how he even handled the botched investigation from his right hand man. It makes me sick.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Unless this 'scandal' results in 10 Million people moving out of the metro NYC area, this has no impact on Rutgers' attractiveness for the B1G. Let's be honest....they were not added for their Athletic Department or accomplishments...it was completely because of their geographic footprint. So unless they either force Rutgers to move to Montana, or remove 10MM people of NYC, then the B1G doesn't care.

Reaction Score
Unless this 'scandal' results in 10 Million people moving out of the metro NYC area, this has no impact on Rutgers' attractiveness for the B1G. Let's be honest....they were not added for their Athletic Department or accomplishments...it was completely because of their geographic footprint. So unless they either force Rutgers to move to Montana, or remove 10MM people of NYC, then the B1G doesn't care.

If they had no alternative to Rutgers then that is absolutely true. But somewhere there is some second-guessing going on at the stain they inherited and are about to pay for, especially after the PSU scandal. Forget that they either ignored the situation or failed to do due diligence. The fact that Rice was not fired immediately throws this partially back into their laps exposing them to questions about their thought process going in.

Reaction Score

But in reality no one cares about Rutgers. One night of the Empire State Building being lit Red does not mean the city likes Rutgers. They were in a conference with a perennial number one Miami, VaTech and the rest of the original Big East for years and they couldn't get recruits. Because Ohio St and Michigan will be on the schedule, they are gonna get better players and make the people care? They played in the best basketball conference in the country for 20 years. They didn't get a single top recruit from NYC to come play for them. Why? Because no one cares about them. MSG and the Big East Tournament? No support from NYC. Now, we have Jay Bilas and ESPN questioning the legitimacy of the university as a whole. Just on sportscenter, "how can you send your kids there when they will slide abuse under the table for a Big Ten invite. How can you get the best students to go there when they are ruining their own reputation. Rutgers needs a huge PR push to fix the mess they created for themselves."

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I do think this is going to be a big problem for the BTN. A large chunk of that state does not care about Rutgers, and now they are going to see their cable bill shoot up to support that athletic department which appears to be under nobodies control (not to mention the homophobic angle doesn't help). Add to that the fact that they suck at every sport they play and I don't see how Rutgers brings a ton of cable boxes, but time will tell I suppose.

Reaction Score
B1G doesn't care about the Rutgers situation. They will still be a member next year. I would be astonished if they were booted.

Reaction Score
LOL - Jay Williams - "I know Pernetti and he's the scape goat here. The kids at the school love him. He has an open door policy. He had a lack of judgement, but he followed through and did his job by reporting this to the president. He should not have been fired."

I'm assuming Jay believes Paterno should not have been fired as well (highly unlikely).

Rece Davis - "One would have thought that Pernetti would not have been fired no matter what he did because he delivered Rutgers to the Big Ten."

So ESPN - it's ok to lie and cheat and steal when it gets you to a better place?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
This conference has an institution that systematically covered up child rape for years.

You think they give two sh1ts about a coach throwing balls at players and calling them gay slurs?

Reaction Score
Reverse their decision to add Rutgers to the conference. Why?

The Big Ten does not want to take on another school with moral issues after Penn State. There were talks about getting rid of Penn State during the Sandusky incident. Bringing in another school along the same moral lines of Rutgers (except in this instance everyone at Rutgers knew what was going on and looked the other way for the big Big Ten television deal and more ).
So an idiot that uses inappropriate language and throwing balls at kids heads is equal to a living legend, his AD, prez and school covering up the rape and molestation of young boys for well over a decade? Listen, the coach, the AD and Prez at RU were all wrong but the "morality" of this situation is nowhere near PSU. RU fit the TV eyeball profile that the B1G wants. Plain and simple. They had everything to make it an easy add to get the TV's without having to change a single conference bylaw. They are not changing anything. Hell, this might make RU even more desirable to schools like OSU, Nebraska and Michigan.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
HFD? Is that you?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2
It can't be, this poster knows where the shift key is for capitalization.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
One night of the Empire State Building being lit Red does not mean the city likes Rutgers.

Ain't that the truth. New York Magazine just published a guide to all the different lightings of the ESB over the last 4 months. Apparently any organization can get the thing lit. Other "honorees" include the Swedish House Mafia and National Eating Disorder week.

Reaction Score
So an idiot that uses inappropriate language and throwing balls at kids heads is equal to a living legend, his AD, prez and school covering up the rape and molestation of young boys for well over a decade? Listen, the coach, the AD and Prez at RU were all wrong but the "morality" of this situation is nowhere near PSU. RU fit the TV eyeball profile that the B1G wants. Plain and simple. They had everything to make it an easy add to get the TV's without having to change a single conference bylaw. They are not changing anything. Hell, this might make RU even more desirable to schools like OSU, Nebraska and Michigan.

Well Penn State had parted ways with Sandusky before all this rape/etc happened. In fact, after he was forced to resign after the shower incident (which the boy that was involved in the shower incident came out and said NOTHING happened - he's in the marines currently), NONE of the rapes/sexual assaults occurred at Penn State. Therefore Penn State did nothing wrong. Sandusky was the pedophile, not Paterno, Spanier or anyone else involved.

And before anyone goes nuts, here is a report that was done by someone NOT associated with Penn State: done by John Zeigler

Reaction Score
Without a doubt this makes the BTN's job of getting subs in NYC that much more difficult.

The big boost that the network needs-adding UCONN- becomes much more likely.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But in reality no one cares about Rutgers. One night of the Empire State Building being lit Red does not mean the city likes Rutgers. They were in a conference with a perennial number one Miami, VaTech and the rest of the original Big East for years and they couldn't get recruits. Because Ohio St and Michigan will be on the schedule, they are gonna get better players and make the people care? They played in the best basketball conference in the country for 20 years. They didn't get a single top recruit from NYC to come play for them. Why? Because no one cares about them. MSG and the Big East Tournament? No support from NYC. Now, we have Jay Bilas and ESPN questioning the legitimacy of the university as a whole. Just on sportscenter, "how can you send your kids there when they will slide abuse under the table for a Big Ten invite. How can you get the best students to go there when they are ruining their own reputation. Rutgers needs a huge PR push to fix the mess they created for themselves."
....or maybe just 40 million a year in TV by 2017?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Without a doubt this makes the BTN's job of getting subs in NYC that much more difficult.

The big boost that the network needs-adding UCONN- becomes much more likely.
Keep in mind that our university does not have the greatest reputation, notwithstang the fact that its issues were over comparatively minor problems.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
LOL - Jay Williams - "I know Pernetti and he's the scape goat here. The kids at the school love him. He has an open door policy. He had a lack of judgement, but he followed through and did his job by reporting this to the president. He should not have been fired."

I'm assuming Jay believes Paterno should not have been fired as well (highly unlikely).

Rece Davis - "One would have thought that Pernetti would not have been fired no matter what he did because he delivered Rutgers to the Big Ten."

So ESPN - it's ok to lie and cheat and steal when it gets you to a better place?

Notwithstanding his poor judgment in managing the Rice fiasco, to the extent Tim Pernitti's influence actually impacted the B1G's selection of RU (and stories of his relationship with Delaney suggests it did), then they should be erecting statutes of the guy up and down the Turnpike, the Parkway and all along the Raritan....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This Rutgers' thing will be forgotten in a week.

Doesn't help us.

Reaction Score
Well Penn State had parted ways with Sandusky before all this rape/etc happened. In fact, after he was forced to resign after the shower incident (which the boy that was involved in the shower incident came out and said NOTHING happened - he's in the marines currently), NONE of the rapes/sexual assaults occurred at Penn State. Therefore Penn State did nothing wrong. Sandusky was the pedophile, not Paterno, Spanier or anyone else involved.

And before anyone goes nuts, here is a report that was done by someone NOT associated with Penn State: done by John Zeigler

Interesting at the 18 min mark, Zeigler goes after Mark Schwartz and ESPN for covering up the Bernie Fine scandal at Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Reverse their decision to add Rutgers to the conference....
I don't think this will happen, but I can see how all this negative perception of Rutgers may translate into a more positive perception of UConn, going forward. All things are relative and our APR situation is nothing like what RU is going through.

Reaction Score
True. But I don't think cable cares about this from a "I'm outraged, actors in this saga were morally deficient" sort of way. I think they look at trying to add Rutgers to basic cable throughout NJ when A. The product was a bit sketchy to begin with; and B.The athletic dep't has taken a huge hit. No AD. No head bb coach.The poor reputation of rutgers' athletics feeds on itself. It's about ratings and viewer enthusiasm.

Now take that and sell it to a skeptical cable audience in NYC. That job just became that much more difficult. NYC doesn't care all that much about college football, even less Rutgers' football. Now college bb...they don't care all that much, but it'll be impossible to sell anything, even RU v. Indiana, RU v. Michigan.

The caveat, as you point out, is the difference between the BTN and the Big Ten conference. Perhaps some Big Ten presidents would be turned off by adding UConn because of its apr and men's bb probation, but I got to believe those sitting in judgment at tO$U, Penn State probably see things with more open eyes. Especially considering what's going on at one of the big ten's purported number one target, UNC.

Keep in mind that our university does not have the greatest reputation, notwithstang the fact that its issues were over comparatively minor problems.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Rutgers is in the B1G. No matter how many times I say it, I can't help but snicker in complete and utter disbelief at the thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom