Big Ten Refs? | The Boneyard

Big Ten Refs?

Reaction Score
Heard a rumor that they were Big 10 refs, can someone please tell me that was not the case?

Iowa was by far the better team without the officiating, not denying that. With that said, if they were Big Ten refs, they 100% took us out of the game the first ten minutes where we couldn't recover.

This was a coordinated hit if they were Big Ten refs, I hope this isn't the case.

Reaction Score
Refs were bad, that’s for sure. But we can’t blame the refs. They did not cause missed shots, turnovers, or inability to deal with Iowa down low. Bad refs are part of the game. These guys were horrible.

Reaction Score
Judging simply off of some of their calls, I suspect that two of them were born in Des Moines. They were really bad but we don't win last night if Bob Sr and Jr were refs. Well, maybe. What a diehard family!

Reaction Score
Yes the refs were garbage. No they did not cause us to shoot 4/26 from 3. If this team had knocked down 35% from behind the arc, this is a completely different game.

Reaction Score
Nothing to do with the outcome but they were plain awful. Big 10 is supposedly this rough and tumble league but they insisted to make a call on any contact even when wrong. Many good defensive plays straight up called immediately on contact. The 2 travels they called on us early, Carlton and Gilbert both very wrong but missed Cook taking 3 1/2 steps on a drive. They were as close to incompetent as I've seen makes it very hard to watch a game. This new rule of when 2 guys lock arms is gross and NFLish. If you watch the Yakwe and Gazza's play again I need to know who instigated the actual locking? I can't tell so how can you only penalize one of the guys?

Needless to say it had nothing to do with how bad our guys played last night, but still these 2 games int he Garden weren't good for NCAA officials they were worst than us!

Reaction Score
This was a coordinated, orchestrated takedown of a new coach just getting his feet wet in the PRIMETIME college b-ball world. Refs do not like his behavior and banter on the sideline and they do not fear or respect him like they fear the established legends - Calhoun, Coach K, Izzo, etc. (yet). They were looking to get out in front of this issue and show him they won’t be pushed around - they coordinated to put the heat on him, and that’s entirely unacceptable. Zebras are not supposed to be mobsters.

Reaction Score
This was a coordinated, orchestrated takedown of a new coach just getting his feet wet in the PRIMETIME college b-ball world. Refs do not like his behavior and banter on the sideline and they do not fear or respect him like they fear the established legends - Calhoun, Coach K, Izzo, etc. (yet). They were looking to get out in front of this issue and show him they won’t be pushed around - they coordinated to put the heat on him, and that’s entirely unacceptable. Zebras are not supposed to be mobsters.

No they like the JB's whining and picking his nose on the sideline on every call right? Move on dopey.

Hurley is as passionate with his players as he is on the refs and I thank him for that. There was atrocious refereeing in both games at MSG and they deserve to be ridiculed when they are awful. And they were much like Syracuse was in both games, horrid!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Refs were pitiful, no doubt. They really didn't affect the outcome of the game. We shot poorly from the 3, too many turnovers and we couldn't handle their bigs. Iowa was clearly the better team this time around.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I was watching on phone sneaking peaks when I could as my wife insisted we HAD to finish the Haunting of Hill House last night. Not joking, every time I looked Iowa was on the line. Our aggressive defense will lead to fouls but it seemed silly. I’m glad we have a coach will back his players now at least.

Reaction Score
No they like the JB's whining and picking his nose on the sideline on every call right? Move on dopey.

Hurley is as passionate with his players as he is on the refs and I thank him for that. There was atrocious refereeing in both games at MSG and they deserve to be ridiculed when they are awful. And they were much like Syracuse was in both games, horrid!

I don’t think you even remotely understood my point, Guy. Reading comprehension of a third grader.

I wasn’t knocking Hurley... I love the passion... I was knocking these biased big10 refs for coordinating to call everything against UConn and T him up because they don’t respect him yet. not sure how JB is relevant, I said there are certain legends that refs fear and thus they don’t call ticky tack fouls against , like they did against us last night

C

Chief00

Somebody here must know their background and leagues they often ref. Something was really strange. We deserved to lose, but so did the refs.

Reaction Score
I posted a link to an article about the head ref, a B1G ref, and it showed the underhanded things he had been caught doing. I’ve watched the B1G for 30 years in other sports so this is par for the course. They don’t think twice about showing up for a game sporting a B1G team’s duffel bag, and they ref like. They know how their bread is buttered

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes the refs were garbage. No they did not cause us to shoot 4/26 from 3. If this team had knocked down 35% from behind the arc, this is a completely different game.
I didn’t get to see anything but tge first 10 minutes. The refs were pretty bad, but so were a bunch of decisions on O. But on that awful shooting %, were most of the missed shots the right shot? That’s the test for me. A team always looks better when the ball goes in, but bad shooting nights happen. The 91 points seems like more of a problem. Were they just hot or was the D non existent? Were there many second chance points?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I didn’t get to see anything but tge first 10 minutes. The refs were pretty bad, but so were a bunch of decisions on O. But on that awful shooting %, were most of the missed shots the right shot? That’s the test for me. A team always looks better when the ball goes in, but bad shooting nights happen. The 91 points seems like more of a problem. Were they just hot or was the D non existent? Were there many second chance points?
Not too hard to get 91 points when you shoot 37 free throws

Reaction Score
You guys do realize they threw our coach out of the game right? That almost never happens in college basketball. It’s not like Hurley assaulted them. Coordinated, orchestrated takedown. Follow the money.

Reaction Score
3C36B992-B5FE-457A-9FEB-9C162F3578C3.png

Reaction Score
They were pathetic, and absolutely a reason we lost.

The only reason? No. But they were most pathetic at the beginning of the game. They called travels where there weren’t any, causing our guards to get tentative and frustrated. The stopped all flow of the game, which hurts s running team. They called fouls on us, but not on them. Allowing Iowa to bully us in the paint.

Iowa is a really good team. They can shoot, rebound, and run a really good motion offense that we couldn’t stop. We could have very easily lost this game anyway. But the refs deserve to be called out because they absolutely impacted this game.

pj

Reaction Score
The refs might have cost us 10 points, the bad shooting 12 points, it could have been a close game if we'd performed very well. But, we need to get better than giving Iowa a close game when we play very well. This was a learning experience and grist for the coaching mill.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom