Big Ten, parents, players, revolt. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big Ten, parents, players, revolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
You really should have just taken the L on your “no student input” comment and moved on...

... but since you seem to want to try to impress people while convincing them it was all about a simple biased “survey design” you may be interested in how they went about the process. I mean a man of your worldly ways should always look to broaden his horizons.

>>InCHIP mobilized quickly after the close of the spring semester to form a 19-member Social and Behavioral Sciences COVID-19 Workgroup comprised of faculty, administrators, staff, and student representatives. The group was charged with leveraging its members’ collective expertise to inform discussions with UConn’s leadership about how to design a safe campus reopening.<<

>>Subgroups took on different tasks, all using applied behavioral science methods to gather data and formulate recommendations that were then shared with the University’s administration. They focused a lot of their efforts on community engagement – with particular attention to undergraduate students, conducting a Thoughtexchange crowdsourcing survey with 2,703 undergrads to assess their hopes, ideas, and questions about the fall semester.<<

>>The working group also conducted a virtual Ideas Lab– a five-week workshop that called on the collective expertise of 110 staff, faculty, undergraduate and graduate students to adopt, adapt, and create solutions that might work for UConn. Suggestions for solutions as varied as practical foot-activated door openers and signage to reimagined social connections and a public health communication campaign were the product of that effort.

The working group later conducted a series of focus groups with students to get their perspective on some of the announced reopening plans and also developed a series of resources to help instructors identify students who might be struggling and to help students and other members of the UConn community connect with physical and mental wellness resources available to them.<<

Again - “no student input” -> debunked.

Reaction Score
University of Alabama reported 531 positive Covid cases among its student population in one week. How soon before athletic teams are forced to suspend operations?

Reaction Score
You really should have just taken the L on your “no student input” comment and moved on...

... but since you seem to want to try to impress people while convincing them it was all about a simple biased “survey design” you may be interested in how they went about the process. I mean a man of your worldly ways should always look to broaden his horizons.

>>InCHIP mobilized quickly after the close of the spring semester to form a 19-member Social and Behavioral Sciences COVID-19 Workgroup comprised of faculty, administrators, staff, and student representatives. The group was charged with leveraging its members’ collective expertise to inform discussions with UConn’s leadership about how to design a safe campus reopening.<<

>>Subgroups took on different tasks, all using applied behavioral science methods to gather data and formulate recommendations that were then shared with the University’s administration. They focused a lot of their efforts on community engagement – with particular attention to undergraduate students, conducting a Thoughtexchange crowdsourcing survey with 2,703 undergrads to assess their hopes, ideas, and questions about the fall semester.<<

>>The working group also conducted a virtual Ideas Lab– a five-week workshop that called on the collective expertise of 110 staff, faculty, undergraduate and graduate students to adopt, adapt, and create solutions that might work for UConn. Suggestions for solutions as varied as practical foot-activated door openers and signage to reimagined social connections and a public health communication campaign were the product of that effort.

The working group later conducted a series of focus groups with students to get their perspective on some of the announced reopening plans and also developed a series of resources to help instructors identify students who might be struggling and to help students and other members of the UConn community connect with physical and mental wellness resources available to them.<<

I use the think it was a shtick with Chief, but I'm convinced now it really is arrogance bordering on delusion. Kind of scary...……..

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Watching "Hard Knocks" on HBO on demand. Testing players with a nasal opening swab at camp. If covid is spread by droplets and masks and shields can help stop it then they need to develop an exhale test into a machine that gives immediate results. It would be a mouth exhale or a nasal exhale.

Do you really think they...haven't thought of this?

Reaction Score
I use the think it was a shtick with Chief, but I'm convinced now it really is arrogance bordering on delusion. Kind of scary...……..
Add in his KC Chiefs panty pic and it becomes so much scarier and creepier..

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He's a true one trick pony that isn't as successful outside that one trick.

Reaction Score
University of Alabama reported 531 positive Covid cases among its student population in one week. How soon before athletic teams are forced to suspend operations?
Never. They might get the other students out of the way so they can focus on their true mission. Football.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
You miss the point - how many of the decision makers were students?
I hear your concern for the student voice, but given the student behavior we've seen in videos at UConn and across the country, I'm just not sure they're ready for a seat at the adult table yet.

Reaction Score
Is anyone sick?

Reaction Score
As I stated, calling PowerPoint decks “online classes” in the survey questions drives such ridiculous results. You need to get out more, like Chief does, and experience the ways of the World.
Which PPT decks? Pre-SARS-2, UConn appeared rather tortoise-like in slowly adapting online course resources. An example may be prior unsubstantiated suggestions of decks simply created on the fly.

In response to SARS-2 and preparation for classes starting yesterday 8/24, the university certainly appears to have jumped up its' game. Quite frankly, that is if the company and worldly experience of leading global education institutions, publishing, well-respected online education companies, Global 500 corps, Big 4 CPA and consulting service providers carries any weight.

Examples: Harvard, INSEAD, Stanford, UVA, Columbia, NYU, BU, IU, Purdue, UCI Galway, Pearson, CHEGG, Deloitte, Oracle, Vodaphone, Skanska, Metlife, and many additional Global 500 corps.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Never. They might get the other students out of the way so they can focus on their true mission. Football.
You may be on to something, e.g., UNC, NC State, and others to reach similar conclusions.

C

Chief00

Which PPT decks? Pre-SARS-2, UConn appeared rather tortoise-like in slowly adapting online course resources. An example may be prior unsubstantiated suggestions of decks simply created on the fly.

In response to SARS-2 and preparation for classes starting yesterday 8/24, the university certainly appears to have jumped up its' game. Quite frankly, that is if the company and worldly experience of leading global education institutions, publishing, well-respected online education companies, Global 500 corps, Big 4 CPA and consulting service providers carries any weight.

Examples: Harvard, INSEAD, Stanford, UVA, Columbia, NYU, BU, IU, Purdue, UCI Galway, Pearson, CHEGG, Deloitte, Oracle, Vodaphone, Skanska, Metlife, and many additional Global 500 corps.
Last semester after Covid (Spring 2020) most “online” classes were PowerPoint decks. Now there are more available tool options, but we need to wait to see what actually gets utilized. I am skeptical of the mass usage of true interactive classes at UConn.

C

Chief00

I hear your concern for the student voice, but given the student behavior we've seen in videos at UConn and across the country, I'm just not sure they're ready for a seat at the adult table yet.
They are the customer. They should have a voice.

C

Chief00

You are so poorly informed it’s almost comical. The 3 students on the 19 person committee are all PhD’s. Do you really think that is student representation? There wasn’t even 1 undergraduate student. Talk to athletes and students like Chief does and they will bring you up to speed instead of falling for this bureaucratic smokescreen. Chief keeps it real. Facts! Here’s the proof:
DF2A107E-DF8D-48FC-A5D6-8EF9B49C254E.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
You are so poorly informed it’s almost comical. The 3 students on the 19 person committee are all PhD’s. Do you really think that is student representation? There wasn’t even 1 undergraduate student. Talk to athletes and students like Chief does and they will bring you up to speed instead of falling for this bureaucratic smokescreen. Chief keeps it real. Facts! Here’s the proof:
View attachment 58010

Did you really expect the 19 person Work Group who wrote/compiled the final report to list all the 2700+ participants who provided input by name?

1598406727583.png

There were also numerous undergrad/grad representative on the Focus Groups and on almost all of the Ideas Lab Work Groups (and they ARE listed by name).

“No student input” claim - debunked for a final time.

C

Chief00

You step in it without doing any homework.
Did you really expect the 19 person Work Group who wrote/compiled the final report to list all the 2700+ participants who provided input by name?

View attachment 58013

There were also numerous undergrad representative on almost all the Idea Lab Work Groups (and they ARE listed by name).
There was zero undergrad or master student representation on the committee that wrote the report and made recommendations that got rubber stamped. You look foolish. It’s exactly what Chief said it was.

C

Chief00

View attachment 58013

There were also numerous undergrad/grad representative on the Focus Groups and on almost all of the Ideas Lab Work Groups (and they ARE listed by name).

“No student input” claim - debunked for a final time.
You can’t get my claim right and you are untruthful about the quotes. In post 121 of this thread - I said “no decision makers” were students. I said nothing about student input. In fact, I also explained to you how you can design surveys to obtain a desired result. Chief has actually seen consultants design surveys to do just that. Respectfully, you are just out of your element on this subject.

Reaction Score
You can’t get my claim right and you are untruthful about the quotes. In post 121 of this thread - I said “no decision makers” were students. I said nothing about student input. In fact, I also explained to you how you can design surveys to obtain a desired result. Chief has actually seen consultants design surveys to do just that. Respectfully, you are just out of your element on this subject.

Take your Miralax it’ll help fix your chronic problem.
I agree, the new President panicked and did not distinguished himself with this decision. No student input.

C

Chief00

Take your Miralax it’ll help fix your chronic problem.
Correct, no student input “with this decision”. The key word is decision. They did not have a place at the decision table. I don’t know how much better I can explain it to someone who either is stubborn about being wrong or basically clueless. There were ZERO undergrad/master students on the Work Group Committee, unlike what you falsely represented. I already explained how being surveyed is not that and how you can easily design surveys to get desired outcomes. Being surveyed or being in a focus group is not input into a DECISION. It may make you feel good but the professors union controlled the decisions. ZERO undergrad and masters students were on the workgroup committeee. ZERO. The Workgroup was stacked by those involved in the professors union. They were well represented. The undergrad and masters students had ZERO representation. And that was apparently perfectly fine with the new President. You perhaps thought by doing a data dump Chief would accept your argument in the meaningless clutter, but Chief posted the committee members - ZERO undergrad and master students on the committee. That’s all one needs to know. I am done repeating the facts, you are unable or unwilling to process.

Reaction Score
Correct, no student input “with this decision”. The key word is decision. They did not have a place at the decision table. I don’t know how much better I can explain it to someone who either is stubborn about being wrong or basically clueless. There were ZERO undergrad/master students on the Work Group Committee, unlike what you falsely represented. I already explained how being surveyed is not that and how you can easily design surveys to get desired outcomes. Being surveyed or being in a focus group is not input into a DECISION. It may make you feel good but the professors union controlled the decisions. ZERO undergrad and masters students were on the workgroup committeee. ZERO. The Workgroup was stacked by those involved in the professors union. They were well represented. The undergrad and masters students had ZERO representation. And that was apparently perfectly fine with the new President. You perhaps thought by doing a data dump Chief would accept your argument in the meaningless clutter, but Chief posted the committee members - ZERO undergrad and master students on the committee. That’s all one needs to know. I am done repeating the facts, you are unable or unwilling to process.

I’m not sure Medic has ever seen Chief so rattled. You can pontificate all you want but people here quickly and readily see through it. You’ve been dismantled on your “no student input” comment but feel free to continue to move the goalpost on who made the actual decision and what weight they put on the student input if it puts salve on your wound. Medic is all for the psychological and physical well-being of all the posters here. Carpe Diem!

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Blah Blah Blah. ZERO. So?

Let's say it was 50% undergrads and co. Let's say that group was 100% for in-person, normal classes. What does that change, exactly? You still have risks.
The "professors union" you're demonizing here - they're a much higher-risk group - shouldn't that have a pretty strong say in what happens?
The president you're questioning - the liability he has to weigh, right or wrong - that doesn't change either.

Everyone else is calling this out because it was incorrect on "no student input" - what if it is irrelevant, either way?

Reaction Score
Im genuinely wondering if the FB forum is officially collectively dumber than the WBB forum

C

Chief00

I’m not sure Medic has ever seen Chief so rattled. You can pontificate all you want but people here quickly and readily see through it. You’ve been dismantled on your “no student input” comment but feel free to continue to move the goalpost on who made the actual decision and what weight they put on the student input if it puts salve on your wound. Medic is all for the psychological and physical well-being of all the posters here. Carpe Diem!
Chief said no student input after saying “this decision” - so stop lying about that. What I said was 100% true - they had no input on the decision. ZERO undergrads and masters students on the committee that designed the plan. You bought into the BS and either can’t walk it back or maybe don’t care about our students and student athletes like Chief does. There are some who do care like @Exit 4 and others. If you, and the powers to be did care about them as people perhaps our FB recruiting would improve? The word gets out and kids get frustrated. That’s why that incident happened on the football side - the kids figured what the heck they have no say and have no season because no one fought for them like Coach Hurley did.
If you actually talked to the players about 95% of them are very unhappy with what went down. Boom!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Im genuinely wondering if the FB forum is officially collectively dumber than the WBB forum
The FB forum has always been collectively dumber than the WBB forum. Even after losing Jimmy Serrano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom