Big Ten needs Uconn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Ten needs Uconn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I know, but I am just refuting John and IrishLoop who argue that "basketball no longer matters."
Got it. My bad.

If the revenue model ever changes, which is possible with the talk of a power conference split, basketball would quickly matter a whole lot.

Reaction Score
The BCS collects $155 million annually from the five games. The new playoff system, which consists of just three games (two semi-finals and a championship), should command a TV rights contract that well exceeds the BCS’s current deal. Here’s how:

Firstly, the value of televised college football is rapidly increasing. Take the SEC’s 15-year contracts with CBS and ESPN for example. The two contracts, which went into effect in 2009, are worth a combined $205 million annually. The Pac-12, on the other hand, recently signed a TV rights deal with ESPN and Fox that is worth $225 million per year. Any college football fan knows that the Pac-12 shouldn’t be able to command a more valuable TV deal than the SEC, and that difference in contract values is evidence that the value of televised college football has risen sharply in recent years. In fact, the SEC reopened negotiations with ESPN just last last Fall to discuss an increase in rights fees.

Reaction Score
I know, but I am just refuting John and IrishLoop who argue that "basketball no longer matters."

I was exaggerating for effect, but the truth is (unfortunately), football drives the realignment bus.

Reaction Score
Basketball does matter but Football is king. Make no mistake if Uconn had a top 25 football program we`d already be in the ACC or B1G. No its not the only deciding factor but its a pretty big reason why we`re sitting in the AAC. Itll be interesting to see what happens if we win the tournament. I think that might hurt our chances. Think about it if your in the ACC or the B1G do you want the basketball juggernaut that is uconn to have to deal with year in and year out? We`re uconn fans so we want them in but if your a duke,unc,michigan,msu,osu etc. and you find out uconn is in your conference your elated when it comes to football but i can hear a collective grown from the basketball programs and definitely the fans.

Reaction Score
If there are serious talks of 70 or so teams breaking off and creating their own mens and womens basketball tournaments in addition to football playoff, than UConn will become a lot more valuable than it currently is. As stated before, the NCAA collects the money from the tournament, so our basketball teams generate much less value than a good football team. that will change if the conferences that break off then get the money.

Reaction Score
Basketball does matter but Football is king. Make no mistake if Uconn had a top 25 football program we`d already be in the ACC or B1G. No its not the only deciding factor but its a pretty big reason why we`re sitting in the AAC. Itll be interesting to see what happens if we win the tournament. I think that might hurt our chances. Think about it if your in the ACC or the B1G do you want the basketball juggernaut that is uconn to have to deal with year in and year out? We`re uconn fans so we want them in but if your a duke,unc,michigan,msu,osu etc. and you find out uconn is in your conference your elated when it comes to football but i can hear a collective grown from the basketball programs and definitely the fans.
I reject this whole argument. Were we groaning when teams like Louisville and West Virginia and Michigan came to play us in football? Have we ever been elated to play Depaul or USF or East Carolina in basketball even though we knew they would be wins? Fans want their teams to play good teams. Any school in the BiG would love the prospect of playing UConn in basketball each year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The 3-5 Year B1G Plan:

- restore MBB as an elite program post APR and post Calhoun: Check;
- show significant presence in NYC: Pending this weekend and Yankee Stadium football versus Army;
- become competitive in football again: In-progress;
- get closer to AAU: In-progress

Reaction Score
The schools you mention would have no problem with us in their conference if it means more cash $$.
Basketball does matter but Football is king. Make no mistake if Uconn had a top 25 football program we`d already be in the ACC or B1G. No its not the only deciding factor but its a pretty big reason why we`re sitting in the AAC. Itll be interesting to see what happens if we win the tournament. I think that might hurt our chances. Think about it if your in the ACC or the B1G do you want the basketball juggernaut that is uconn to have to deal with year in and year out? We`re uconn fans so we want them in but if your a duke,unc,michigan,msu,osu etc. and you find out uconn is in your conference your elated when it comes to football but i can hear a collective grown from the basketball programs and definitely the fans.[/quote

Reaction Score

FALSE.

Pitt, Rutgers, Maryland, and Syracuse were top 25 programs when they were on the ACC/Big Ten radar?

UConn is not great in football. But we are close enough to those 4 schools where the other stuff should be in our favor.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see if Delany is watching us in MSG. He may be in town for the MSU game. I would be very happy to see him watching us in the early game.
I cannot see how he wouldn't watch UConn.

Reaction Score
If there are serious talks of 70 or so teams breaking off and creating their own mens and womens basketball tournaments in addition to football playoff, than UConn will become a lot more valuable than it currently is. As stated before, the NCAA collects the money from the tournament, so our basketball teams generate much less value than a good football team. that will change if the conferences that break off then get the money.
They may break off for football, but they can't afford to do it for basketball. They'll never make their money back. What makes March Madness mad is the sheer number of teams, and the upsets.

Mercer can't be replaced with Washington State. It just doesn't work that way.

Reaction Score
They may break off for football, but they can't afford to do it for basketball. They'll never make their money back. What makes March Madness mad is the sheer number of teams, and the upsets.

Mercer can't be replaced with Washington State. It just doesn't work that way.

I agree that it would change, but apart from the first round there aren't many underdog teams winning games most years. Look at how many people watch college football when there are only about 10 teams each year that can win the national championship and there is only a single national championship game with no playoff at all. That is a completely rigged system with an undefeated team that isn't from a major conference having very little chance of playing in the championship unless they come into the year ranked in the top 15 like boise st.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The 3-5 Year B1G Plan:

- restore MBB as an elite program post APR and post Calhoun: Check;
- show significant presence in NYC: Pending this weekend and Yankee Stadium football versus Army;
- become competitive in football again: In-progress;
- get closer to AAU: In-progress

The checklist:

Hope that the Big Ten network doesn't win their battles with the NYC cable companies.

Reaction Score
I agree that it would change, but apart from the first round there aren't many underdog teams winning games most years. Look at how many people watch college football when there are only about 10 teams each year that can win the national championship and there is only a single national championship game with no playoff at all. That is a completely rigged system with an undefeated team that isn't from a major conference having very little chance of playing in the championship unless they come into the year ranked in the top 15 like boise st.
The thing is, they don't. College basketball isn't terribly popular, at least compared to other sports. But March Madness is more popular than all other playoffs, and that would be ruined.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

And Syracuse and Pitt are perennial Top 25 football???

Reaction Score
There is no antidote for Rutgers.
I am afraid that when they realize they made a huge mistake with Rutgers, it may negatively affect UConn's chances because of our previous association with that university.

Reaction Score
I am afraid that when they realize they made a huge mistake with Rutgers, it may negatively affect UConn's chances because of our previous association with that university.
Are you serious?

We'd be the real gateway into the northeast. Rutgers ain't .

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Are you serious?
We'd be the real gateway into the northeast. Rutgers ain't .

It's been said before, but if the money makes sense for the conference, they will be interested. At this point, it's all about putting numbers up for UConn -- Financial, Competitive, and Academic.

While cliche, all other schools are irrelevant, UConn needs to focus on itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom