Big Ten for UConn Key to Hartford Whalers Return | The Boneyard

Big Ten for UConn Key to Hartford Whalers Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
My only takeaway from all this is that if the state wants to spend money on a new arena in Hartford they need to be sure that 1) they definitely get an NHL team and/or 2) UConn gets into the B1G (or ACC). Otherwise, the money would be better spent to expand/re-build Gampel for 12-14K capacity and include a hockey rink.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I am a huge advocate for an on-campus arena. That said, if the state is willing to fund a modern arena downtown (not a renovated XL) I would get behind it. But I would like to see the hockey team get an on-campus arena, and a long-term plan to move the football team back to campus.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I am a huge advocate for an on-campus arena. That said, if the state is willing to fund a modern arena downtown (not a renovated XL) I would get behind it. But I would like to see the hockey team get an on-campus arena, and a long-term plan to move the football team back to campus.
There will definitely be a new hockey arena on campus per the Hockey East requirements (and it's going to be part of the new master plan that is due to be published some time next year). By this time next year, we'll know if the Hockey Arena will be a stand-alone building or integrated into a renovated or new Gampel.

Football will be off-campus for another 30 years or longer. There's no sense in thinking about on-campus football unless some big-time donor foots the bill and pays off the residents Mansfield

Reaction Score
Hartford's interest in the NHL and related interest in a renovated or new Civic Center should be separated from UConn's need to an on-campus rink or new basketball/hockey combo center. Each has its own unique needs and should be treated as such.

Reaction Score

I would love to see basketball/hockey stay on campus. I think the only way football ever comes back to Storrs is if some sort for highway infrastructure is added to connect UConn directly to 84. I'm not sure if thats even a thought but if it is, it must be 15-30 years out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Is there any chance of putting a new arena in East Hartford by the Rent?

Is there any chance of the politics in Ct allowing a new arena to be built anywhere but downtown Hartford?

Reaction Score
Also on Face the State, former Hartford Whalers owner Richard Gordon. Gordon, a successful Hartford developer, saw the ups and downs of owning a pro hockey team in Hartford and knows whether it can be done again. Gordon says absolutely it can, but he thinks one thing would really help speed things up: UConn must join the Big Ten.

I don't know much about this Richard Gordon, but is he quack? Sounds like such an odd thing to say, than his rationale of approaching the NHL was even odder. Can someone enlighten me on how what he is saying begins to make sense?

Reaction Score

Is there any chance of the politics in Ct allowing a new arena to be built anywhere but downtown Hartford?
There is a lot a land there and easy on/easy off access from a Highway standpoint. Something tells me though if this is to happen, it has to be actually in Hartford.

Reaction Score
Also on Face the State, former Hartford Whalers owner Richard Gordon. Gordon, a successful Hartford developer, saw the ups and downs of owning a pro hockey team in Hartford and knows whether it can be done again. Gordon says absolutely it can, but he thinks one thing would really help speed things up: UConn must join the Big Ten.

I don't know much about this Richard Gordon, but is he quack? Sounds like such an odd thing to say, than his rationale of approaching the NHL was even odder. Can someone enlighten me on how what he is saying begins to make sense?

Every few years he surfaces (and DH pimps him):http://dennishouse.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/ex-whalers-owner-gordon-bring-back-the-bishops/

Reaction Score
There is a lot a land there and easy on/easy off access from a Highway standpoint. Something tells me though if this is to happen, it has to be actually in Hartford.
Someone mentions this almost every time the on-campus football debate comes up so I may as well say it. If only 384 ran all the way into Willimantic as it originally was planned to...

Reaction Score
Someone mentions this almost every time the on-campus football debate comes up so I may as well say it. If only 384 ran all the way into Willimantic as it originally was planned to...

...which was supposed to be I-84 running all the way from Hartford across to Providence. I-384 is part of the original design along with the US 6 by-pass highway in Willimantic, that little spur coming off of I-295 in eastern CT, and the US 6 highway segment inside of I-295 in Providence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Blue Jackets are moving here?!?

No, Bettman is going to move every NHL team South of the Mason Dixon line because hockey has been such a success in Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix, LA, etc...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

If they built an arena in East Hartford it would be a horrible idea. Hartford needs all the help it can to reinvigorate itself as a city and having an arena, downtown, in the heart of the city is what drives the economic value. People go to restaurants, stay at hotels, etc....putting it in East Hartford would have no such effect and be counterproductive.

I get why you're asking if it could be put there and it would make sense because of space, but if this dream ever happened and the Whale returned, it needs to be done through an arena in Hartford. Otherwise, don't bother.

Reaction Score
Lets see...Rangers, Spartans, Oilers, Boilermakers, Cornhuskers, Canadiens, Canucks, Red Wings, Golden Gophers, Bruins, Black Bears, Blackhawks, Hawkeyes, Badgers, Penguins, Terriers, Terapins, Wolverines, Purple Wildcats, Blue Wildcats and even a couple half bread Irish Friars all coming to Hartford in one year. Yea, I think the B1G, NHL and Hockey East would feed off each other and put Hartford back on the map. Man that would be great!

Reaction Score
No, Bettman is going to move every NHL team South of the Mason Dixon line because hockey has been such a success in Atlanta, Florida, Phoenix, LA, etc...
Actually, the NHL is a success in LA and has been since the '60s. Your first three are correct, though. Add in Columbus, too.

Reaction Score
Actually, the NHL is a success in LA and has been since the '60s. Your first three are correct, though. Add in Columbus, too.

When did Columbus start falling under the Mason Dixon line?

Reaction Score

OK, I correct myself, the NHL should not have 2 teams in the LA market...and add Carolina. Dallas' attendance is bad too; but, they had decent attendance when they were decent (though the Stars should still be in Minneapolis). In the NYC metro, the Rangers do well while the Islanders do poor; but, that may change when they move to Brooklyn. The Devils are more perplexing as they usually have a good team and still draw so-so. I am a Rangers fan and can't beat MSG; but, the Rock is a good arena. Maybe market saturation?

Reaction Score
What''s the point of posting this?

It's times like this I wish there was a Dislike button.

It's called "keeping it real". There are so many cities in front of Hartford right now. The only way Hartford gets a team is if the NHL expands to 40+ teams. Not going to happen. EVER!

Reaction Score
OK, I correct myself, the NHL should not have 2 teams in the LA market...and add Carolina. Dallas' attendance is bad too; but, they had decent attendance when they were decent (though the Stars should still be in Minneapolis). In the NYC metro, the Rangers do well while the Islanders do poor; but, that may change when they move to Brooklyn. The Devils are more perplexing as they usually have a good team and still draw so-so. I am a Rangers fan and can't beat MSG; but, the Rock is a good arena. Maybe market saturation?
The Ducks and Kings draw better collectively (%age-wise) than the tri-state region teams collectively. And there are much more people here.

Reaction Score

Richard Gordon was smart enough to sell almost all of his Hartford holdings at a vastly inflated price to Colonial Real Estate in the late 80's. Colonial was a giant fraud of a company that blew up and to some degree contributed to the failure of Bank of New England (at least they helped make CBT's books look bad). They also wiped out significant investments by many wealthy and prominent CT residents and politicians. Gordon is not a dumb man who is still very successful in real estate around the country but he is not well connected to either Uconn or the B1G. He is stating something that is pretty obvious about the need to have a major second draw to any Hartford arena. Unfortunately, there are no "bishops" left in Hartford to support the hockey team. All of the big insurers and banks that rallied behind the Whale in the 80's are gone.

On a side note, his son did have the most famous field goal in BC history. It was the one that knocked ND out of the national championship in 1993.

Reaction Score
It's called "keeping it real". There are so many cities in front of Hartford right now. The only way Hartford gets a team is if the NHL expands to 40+ teams. Not going to happen. EVER!

Glad you were able to form words instead of just "LOLing" like a little school girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom