Big Ten/ACC Challenge: #3 Notre Dame at #22 Michigan (Wed 11/29, 6p ET, Big Ten Network) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Ten/ACC Challenge: #3 Notre Dame at #22 Michigan (Wed 11/29, 6p ET, Big Ten Network)

Reaction Score
Not meaningless, just instructive. I believe that many of the traditionally "best" teams in the country are somewhat down this year, and UConn is unusually up. This includes ND, Maryland, Stanford, and others. Texas is an exception talent-wise. Whether ND gets its head handed to it this weekend or manages to defeat what many here feel is an unbeatable Husky team remains to be seen. But there is a certain prejudice that goes with some of us on this site; we're not all trying to be polite, we're homers. Confidence or arrogance? Probably both. Glad you're around to plug the opposition.
Ahh! I see some Duke in you.;)

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I missed the start of this game and by the time I got to watching Thompson was manning the Point. Who was manning the Point for ND before Thompson?

Mabrey

I missed the start too, but some beautiful soul put the game up on youtube

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You mean before this year? Lindsay Allen, four-year starter.
Thompson has, to my knowledge, been the starting PG in every game this year.
No I meant this game. Thompson was only starting because Westbeld was out. I got my answer. Mabrey started the game at the Point. I'm trying to look at matchups for ND. Vs. UCONN.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
No I meant this game. Thompson was only starting because Westbeld was out. I got my answer. Mabrey started the game at the Point. I'm trying to look at matchups for ND. Vs. UCONN.
Ah, I stand corrected then. I missed the start of this game.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not meaningless, just instructive. I believe that many of the traditionally "best" teams in the country are somewhat down this year, and UConn is unusually up. This includes ND, Maryland, Stanford, and others. Texas is an exception talent-wise. Whether ND gets its head handed to it this weekend or manages to defeat what many here feel is an unbeatable Husky team remains to be seen. But there is a certain prejudice that goes with some of us on this site; we're not all trying to be polite, we're homers. Confidence or arrogance? Probably both. Glad you're around to plug the opposition.

I think it's a question of your frame of reference. UConn has such a consistently high talent level and standard of performance that each year's lavishly talented team is "normal" and the other teams "lack talent".

In my view, ND has plenty of talent. Just not such an extravagant collection of talent as UConn has. I don't think there are all that many teams against whom ND will be comparatively short or slow. Against UConn, ND will be comparatively short *and* slow.

I often think to myself, UConn's players are just a whole different species. It's amazing how long and athletic this UConn team is. Not to mention skilled.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Coco: It actually seems to be a bit of PG by committee with ND's other three guards. Young and Arike frequently bring the ball up when there is pressure, but once in the front court it always ends up in Mabrey's hand to set the play and get it going. I would imagine that when there is pressure, all the guards will look for Westbeld and/or Shepard at mid-court to break the press/relieve pressure. Both of them -- even with their "slowness" -- are fine at dribbling for a bit and, more importantly, making the right pass.

Even when Lili Thompson is in - and she was for 29 minutes even though she didn't start -- you'll see Marina and/or Arike often call out a play. Stay tuned on the starting line-up this Sunday...could change again. or not: Muffet likes to keep a set line-up.

BTW, I caught a comment somewhere that Marina was not the same player she was a freshman. Well, I'd agrree: She was a much better, tougher and efficient player her sophomore year, particularly on the road, when she was by far the Irish's most focused shooter and competitor.

However, she's not herself this year and theories abound why; ranging from she might be still suffering from an ankle sprain that shut her down this summer, to being asked to do "a little bit of this, a lot of that" all the time, which takes away from what she does best -- score. Hope the switch is flipped soon; otherwise her perfectionist streak might implode!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Long time Huskies fan living in Ann Arbor, was looking forward to the game last night for a while. Figured I'd finally de-lurk with some observations. Michigan is a pretty fun squad and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in Big10 play but they were clearly outmatched in terms of skill and athleticism. Notre Dame did a nice job containing Katelyn Flaherty who needed to go off for Michigan to have a shot.

Jackie Young is a very dynamic and exciting player - not looking forward to facing her for the next few years.

Ogunbowale was unconscious for most of the first half- hopefully she got it out of her system. On another note I think the PA guy said her name 5 different ways, none of which were correct.

Shepard was pretty much what I expected her to be, a physical scorer and rebounder and a pretty good passer for her size. But she can definitely be exploited defensively. Hallie Thome was operating pretty freely under the basket and Stevens and Collier should be able to do the same. This also goes for Nelson who seemed to rack up a bunch of fouls in limited minutes.

Thompson and Mabrey didn't make much an impact.
Westbeld looked okay but will probably be challenged by UConn's speed.

There were a ton of Irish fans in the crowd, I don't know if it was a planned trip or if ND just has a big presence in SE Michigan but it made for a pretty fun atmosphere. The game moved quickly and was fairly well officiated for WCBB.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Young is an excellent defensive player, by far Notre Dame's best. Mabrey, not so much. I don't know why Muffet even tried having Mabrey guard Flaherty.

Michigan just has no answer for Arike's and Young's speed and athleticism. A lot of Michigan's missed shots are as bad as turnovers, because as soon as it's in the hands of one of those two players, it's a track meet to the other end for a layup.

One belated comment on that: Mabrey knows Flaherty game inside out, having played two years with her in high school and still working out with her. I don't know if you watched the whole game, but Marina, Jackie Young and Lili Thompson all took turns guarding her. In the end, the collective effort worked: Flaherty shot 5 for 18. Mission accomplished.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Long time Huskies fan living in Ann Arbor, was looking forward to the game last night for a while. Figured I'd finally de-lurk with some observations. Michigan is a pretty fun squad and I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in Big10 play but they were clearly outmatched in terms of skill and athleticism. Notre Dame did a nice job containing Katelyn Flaherty who needed to go off for Michigan to have a shot.

Jackie Young is a very dynamic and exciting player - not looking forward to facing her for the next few years.

Ogunbowale was unconscious for most of the first half- hopefully she got it out of her system. On another note I think the PA guy said her name 5 different ways, none of which were correct.

Shepard was pretty much what I expected her to be, a physical scorer and rebounder and a pretty good passer for her size. But she can definitely be exploited defensively. Hallie Thome was operating pretty freely under the basket and Stevens and Collier should be able to do the same. This also goes for Nelson who seemed to rack up a bunch of fouls in limited minutes.

Thompson and Mabrey didn't make much an impact.
Westbeld looked okay but will probably be challenged by UConn's speed.

There were a ton of Irish fans in the crowd, I don't know if it was a planned trip or if ND just has a big presence in SE Michigan but it made for a pretty fun atmosphere. The game moved quickly and was fairly well officiated for WCBB.

Thanks for the report and insights from a UConn perspective. Per your observation about a number of Irish fans in the crowd, the Irish faithful do travel to schools within driving distance and this was one of those games. Go Irish! I'll be heading down to Philly when they play Penn on Saturday, Dec. 9th. Will be fun to hit the Palestra.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom