Big Ten/ACC Challenge: #3 Notre Dame at #22 Michigan (Wed 11/29, 6p ET, Big Ten Network) | The Boneyard

Big Ten/ACC Challenge: #3 Notre Dame at #22 Michigan (Wed 11/29, 6p ET, Big Ten Network)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Fresh off a big win over South Carolina, #3 Notre Dame heads to Ann Arbor.

This is the first game of a double-header on BTN. Next game will be #13 Florida State at undefeated Iowa.

Reaction Score
ND up 17 - 11 with 2 1/2 minutes left in the 1st.
ND up 24 - 13 at the end of the 1st.
ND up 31 - 24 with 5 minutes left in the 2nd.
ND up 36 - 30 with 2 1/2 minutes left in the 2nd.
ND up 43 - 34 at the half.
ND up 62 - 49 at the end of the 3rd.
ND up by 25, with 5 minutes left in the game, you can put it in the books: Notre Dame wins.

Congrats @Orangutan and the rest of the ND faithful. See you on Sunday ...but you have to wonder, did the Irish WBB leave too much in Ann Arbor? :eek:

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
24-13 after the end of the 1st. Ogunbowale 9 pts. Young, 6 pts, 5 rebs, 2 ast

Stuck with gametracker for the 1st half as I make my way home.

Reaction Score

Unless your on a bus, don't be looking at that thing while you're driving. And certainly no POSTING. :eek:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Westbeld started this one and Thompson off the bench. Westbeld looks a little slow out there, probably not fully fit after her injury. Not the most athletic ND team we've seen over the years but they run good half-court offense as always.

Plebe

Reaction Score

Ogunbowale has just hit two long 3s in a row. She has 20 points midway through Q2, including 4 of 6 from three.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale had been struggling from the 3 (29%) but not tonight. UConn has attacked ND in the paint the past few years and I think they'll continue that on Sunday.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For the hardcore, Iowa vs FSU in the second game on BTN and the harder core, Middle Tenessee St vs Mississippi on SEC (both 8PM)

Plebe

Reaction Score
For the hardcore, Iowa vs FSU in the second game on BTN and the harder core, Middle Tenessee St vs Mississippi on SEC (both 8PM)
Florida State-Iowa could be a good, competitive game. Both teams undefeated. This is FSU's first significant test. Iowa has a great post player in Gustafson, and Doyle is back from her ankle injury.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Middle Tennessee is undefeated and Mississippi has only one loss.

Reaction Score
ND by 9 at the half.
Lots of offense--Arike, Young and Mabrey can shoot the ball.
Bigs seem very slow --Shepherd is playing at a lower level, Nelson is average, and Wesbeld is not much of a force.
ND misses Turner big time.
In general for the game--not much defense. It was a you score, I score type of game. Mabrey was man to man on Flaherty and was getting burned. Young took over and did much better. Danger should be able to go where she wants on Sunday.
Michigan is a solid team and fun to watch (for me) and is top 20 or so. Solid play all around, but not great.
The Refs were terrific and let them play.** It was one of the fastest halves I have ever watched--It only took 38 minutes total.

Plebe

Reaction Score
ND by 9 at the half.
Lots of offense--Arike, Young and Mabrey can shoot the ball.
Bigs seem very slow --Shepherd is playing at a lower level, Nelson is average, and Wesbeld is not much of a force.
ND misses Turner big time.
In general for the game--not much defense. It was a you score, I score type of game. Mabrey was man to man on Flaherty and was getting burned. Young took over and did much better. Danger should be able to go where she wants on Sunday.
Michigan is a solid team and fun to watch (for me) and is top 20 or so. Solid play all around, but not great.
The Refs were terrific and let them play.** It was one of the fastest halves I have ever watched--It only took 38 minutes total.
Young is an excellent defensive player, by far Notre Dame's best. Mabrey, not so much. I don't know why Muffet even tried having Mabrey guard Flaherty.

Michigan just has no answer for Arike's and Young's speed and athleticism. A lot of Michigan's missed shots are as bad as turnovers, because as soon as it's in the hands of one of those two players, it's a track meet to the other end for a layup.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Also a somewhat interesting game on the ACC Network: #15 Maryland at Virginia.

Maryland leads 20-15 after Q1.

Apparently it's ugly sweater day in Charlottesville.

upload_2017-11-29_16-25-33.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ND 78 Michigan 53 with about 5 minutes left. That went south quickly. The shots are there for Michigan but missing so many.

ND will be coming to Hartford with confidence. Looking forward to a tough one.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Young is ND's best rebounder. ND's interior defense is suspect. Ogunbowale shoots a lot and is really good. Mabrey is not the same player she was as a freshman.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Young is ND's best rebounder. ND's interior defense is suspect. Ogunbowale shoots a lot and is really good. Mabrey is not the same player she was as a freshman.
If Notre Dame continues to have a great season and finishes as a top 3 team, Young and Ogunbowale will both be All-Americans.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Credit ND for taking care of business against a not very good Michigan team. They'll come to Storrs cautiously optimistic and deservedly so. Yet realistically, they have no real answer for Pheese while Pheese will handle Young on defense, off the boards, and in transition. Their backcourt will have their hands full with Crystal The Real Diamond, as usual, that Gabby woman will lead the game in rebounds, steals and assists, and Kia ain't gonna stop hitting 3's. This isn't taking into account the fact that Z could feast inside. The real problem is Ogunbowale. Still, UConn by 21.

Reaction Score
Credit ND for taking care of business against a not very good Michigan team. They'll come to Storrs cautiously optimistic and deservedly so. Yet realistically, they have no real answer for Pheese while Pheese will handle Young on defense, off the boards, and in transition. Their backcourt will have their hands full with Crystal The Real Diamond, as usual, that Gabby woman will lead the game in rebounds, steals and assists, and Kia ain't gonna stop hitting 3's. This isn't taking into account the fact that Z could feast inside. The real problem is Ogunbowale. Still, UConn by 21.

Also doesn't take into account KLS's potential contribution. ND looked clunky to me with the exception of Young; Arike makes astounding shots but is inelegant. Shepard isn't very mobile, and the team lacks overall height (though not weight). Muffet gets her teams to compete even w/out much material. Credit to her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Also doesn't take into account KLS's potential contribution. ND looked clunky to me with the exception of Young; Arike makes astounding shots but is inelegant. Shepard isn't very mobile, and the team lacks overall height (though not weight). Muffet gets her teams to compete even w/out much material. Credit to her.
Credit to Muffet indeed. This is also not a very speedy team along with its lack of height. Things UConn should be able to take advantage of.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Florida State-Iowa could be a good, competitive game. Both teams undefeated. This is FSU's first significant test. Iowa has a great post player in Gustafson, and Doyle is back from her ankle injury.

Good call Plebe. High scoring game with good fundamental play on both sides. Iowa shooting is off the wall 14/15 shots made 3-3 from 3pt. Iowa leading 34-25

Gustafson playing very well but FSU hanging around.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom