Big Red chant | The Boneyard

Big Red chant

Reaction Score
It occurred to me the other day that I don't know of any other school with a tradition similar to our Big Red chant (i.e. a cheer that the crowd knows to do when an opponent calls timeout after an impressive or important run). This strikes me as strange, because it's such a cool practice. I would have thought that other schools would have come up with something like it on their own, or at least would have copied it once they witnessed the awesomeness of ours.

Surely there are others that I'm not aware of, right? Anyone know of any?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NY Jets? You know, the spot the UCONN chant was stolen from?
SMH
Season 1 Facebook Watch GIF by The Birch

Reaction Score
While the jets qualify as an amateur organization, I think OP was referring to actual schools.
Correct. I am not interested in the structure of the chant itself, although it's interesting to know that it was taken from the Jets, if that's indeed the case.

The question is: Do other college basketball teams have a chant or other tradition that they employ in the exact scenario that we employ the Big Red chant?

CL82

Reaction Score
You're right.

The J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets chant is much different from the U-C-O-N-N, UConn, UConn, UConn chant.
No, seriously did Benedict step on your puppy or something? You are just crapping all over every UConn and Boneyard at every opportunity. It’s sad, really.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Someone actually thinks that fireman whatever #$@ his first name is can compare to Big Red?

Maybe if at some point the Jets could learn to actually win something their fans could begin making valid arguments.

Reaction Score
The idea of a chant even existed in the 60's in CT High School BB spelling out a name and ending it with repeating it several times, but, it was lead by cheerleaders. I thought the unique point being made was someone in the crowd being the figure head leading it. Moreover, carrying it to other venues like MSG, St Petersburg. In a huge stadium, do the Jets have a particular person in the crowd that leads it and gets it going? Do they ever go to non-home games and try to rally their supporters with the chant? If not, then I wouldn't view it as the same. What Big Red does seems unique to me.

Reaction Score
No, seriously did Benedict step on your puppy or something? You are just crapping all over every UConn and Boneyard at every opportunity. It’s sad, really.
Not true at all. I've been saying this for decades. You just have your panties in a bunch with me.

CL82

Reaction Score
Not true at all. I've been saying this for decades. You just have your panties in a bunch with me.
LOL, I guess, but it seems like you can’t go a week without being dismissive of UConn/Boneyard traditions. It just seems weird to me to go there, so consistently on a fan forum.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
well now, another poster, cl2, with the hide and seek shtick.
no matter, us unwashed masses can still see it when not signed in.

hey cl2! in response to ur butthurt on deepman,
it's called integrity. try some.
it makes living a whole lot easier. a breeze, in fact.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Correct. I am not interested in the structure of the chant itself, although it's interesting to know that it was taken from the Jets, if that's indeed the case.

The question is: Do other college basketball teams have a chant or other tradition that they employ in the exact scenario that we employ the Big Red chant?
The "exact" scenario? Does that matter? UConn's chant isn't that unique. Many schools have chants they use at various times of the game. Several do a winning team, losing team chant in that situation. Utah State has a very high participation chant (I believe that we will win), KU has Rock Chalk chant of course. Several examples on YouTube.

Reaction Score
The "exact" scenario? Does that matter? UConn's chant isn't that unique. Many schools have chants they use at various times of the game. Several do a winning team, losing team chant in that situation. Utah State has a very high participation chant (I believe that we will win), KU has Rock Chalk chant of course. Several examples on YouTube.

I mean, it matters because that was my question. To be clear, my question has nothing to do with the nature of the chant itself, who leads it, or chants that other schools have for different situations. Everything being discussed is fine with me, but I am asking something specific, and I don't think anyone has named an example of it yet. (Except maybe "calling the hogs." I'm gonna research that. Maybe that's one.)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I mean, it matters because that was my question. To be clear, my question has nothing to do with the nature of the chant itself, who leads it, or chants that other schools have for different situations. Everything being discussed is fine with me, but I am asking something specific, and I don't think anyone has named an example of it yet. (Except maybe "calling the hogs." I'm gonna research that. Maybe that's one.)
UCLA has an 8 Clap thing. That's probably the closest.

They also have a pre-game chant that I hadn't heard of before. The Frisbee Cheer.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
LOL, I guess, but it seems like you can’t go a week without being dismissive of UConn/Boneyard traditions. It just seems weird to me to go there, so consistently on a fan forum.
He happens to be right in this case. It is a ripoff of the Jets chant, thats a fact. "Lets go Huskies" is also a ripoff of "Lets go Rangers" . You are trying much too hard. Ease off the stick a little there, maverick.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He happens to be right in this case. It is a ripoff of the Jets chant, thats a fact. "Lets go Huskies" is also a ripoff of "Lets go Rangers" . You are trying much too hard. Ease off the stick a little there, maverick.

The NY Rangers really claim to be the ones who 'invented' "Let's go (team name)"?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The NY Rangers really claim to be the ones who 'invented' "Let's go (team name)"?

Probably not, but we live in the Northeast and that chant was there in the OLD MSG which closed in 68, long before you ever heard it at a UConn game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom