Big Post Energy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big Post Energy

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
While I agree about this being one of the best overall frontcourts in several years, questioning some of the "matching Liv" comments. At 6'5," ONO was a solid rebounder, defender, and shot blocker. Hopefully our "committee" approach will get the job done but wondering if some are forgetting Liv's skill set.
Dorka can be a better scorer and rebounder. She was at tOSU and there's no reason she can't regain that. Liv's an elite defender, I just don't see Dorka being near as good against a mobile post. Liv was also a very good passer at UConn. Dorka's certainly a good passer; I think the jury's out on whether she'll improve that aspect of her game this year.

So I think Liv out, Dorka in is a wash.

Reaction Score
UConn has the best post depth we've seen in many years Injuries withstanding (sorry I'm still traumatized from previous seasons small disclaimer). With (in no order)

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna
6. Lopez-Senechal (at the 3)

UConn can cause mismatch fits with this variety of line-ups. Dorka and Aaliyah feeding off each other. Aubrey and Ayanna causing defensive havoc. Amari feeding Ice in the low post/high post and vice verse. Throw Lopez-Senechal for smaller teams to space the floor or mix and match

Guard play be damned, throw the ball in the post and let them figure it out this season. Post play has been the hallmark of successful UConn teams.

Agree or Disagree? I love and respect each of you all btw

Pretty solid. I like the depth.

Reaction Score
Dorka can be a better scorer and rebounder. She was at tOSU and there's no reason she can't regain that. Liv's an elite defender, I just don't see Dorka being near as good against a mobile post. Liv was also a very good passer at UConn. Dorka's certainly a good passer; I think the jury's out on whether she'll improve that aspect of her game this year.

Just a thought.
Any possibility Coach will try to teach Amari to work at the elbow and top of the key, setting screens and dealing the ball- taking an occasional 3 and plugging Dorka and Aaliyah front court for the BIG lineup?

Reaction Score
While I agree about this being one of the best overall frontcourts in several years, questioning some of the "matching Liv" comments. At 6'5," ONO was a solid rebounder, defender, and shot blocker. Hopefully our "committee" approach will get the job done but wondering if some are forgetting Liv's skill set.
It's a good point. Dorka may not be the shot blocker Liv was, but she's probably a comparable rebounder and scorer, with a better outside shot. I'm not sure how to compare them as defenders, but I'm inclined to give the overall nod to Liv, but only slightly. The stats suggests Liv was a better passer because she got more assists, though per minute played they're not so different. All of this tells me Dorka will have to step it up to "match" Liv, but only slightly. Will having the assistance of Amari and Ice help with this? I think it will.

Reaction Score
It's a good point. Dorka may not be the shot blocker Liv was, but she's probably a comparable rebounder and scorer, with a better outside shot. I'm not sure how to compare them as defenders, but I'm inclined to give the overall nod to Liv, but only slightly. The stats suggests Liv was a better passer because she got more assists, though per minute played they're not so different. All of this tells me Dorka will have to step it up to "match" Liv, but only slightly. Will having the assistance of Amari and Ice help with this? I think it will.
No really sure that one year, on new team with a complicated offense, and a rotating team of walking wounded allow for her statistical production to be relied on as what we might expect this year.

Reaction Score
I agree with the narrative of the post not all the players listed. The only way i see this team beating SC's post machine with new additions of Watkins is if we throw them in the fire and give them the ball to develop a consistent inside outside presence. If its all guard play we wont stand a chance against the likes of SC.

Reaction Score
No really sure that one year, on new team with a complicated offense, and a rotating team of walking wounded allow for her statistical production to be relied on as what we might expect this year.
One big difference in projecting how Dorka will perform this year vs. last is how she was used. Last year she was the third big in the rotation. When paired with Liv she did not have many post up opportunities down low. When teamed with Aaliyah it was better, but even then Dorka might have been considered better at the high than the low post relative to Aaliyah.

My point is Dorka is far more of a go to low post scorer than was showed last year. She was the focus of the offense at OSU and a complimentary piece in ours. This year Liv is gone, Dorka is the full-time starting C, and presumably will spend almost all her time on the court as a C. Last year she played at least half the time as a forward. As the starting C and biggest starter, I'm sure Geno will direct more attention to getting her the ball down low.

Because of the other scoring talent on this team, she won't be the focus of the offense like she was at OSU, but she also won't be an afterthought, playing many of her minutes away from her natural position. It is a plus that Dorka "can" play the 4, and an advantage that this year she will rarely have to and can concentrate on her natural position.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree with you on Lou. But Aubrey is more than capable of taking on opposing Bigs, as she did 2 years ago vs SC with 3 blocks against the likes of Boston & Amihere. She also had a spectacular rejection against TN’s 6’5” Key.
I read a post last night quoting UConn assistant WBB coach Jamelle Elliott as saying that Aubrey is 100% healthy and recovered. That was music to my ears. Now we just have to wait and see how much of her previous elite athleticism she can recover. Right now (today), to me, Aubrey and Amari are the two biggest question marks or unknowns on this roster.

If they can reach the level of performance that the coaches and fans expect them to, this team is going to be very successful and hard to beat, and fun to watch. I can’t wait!!! First night is a week from today. :)

Reaction Score
Right now (today), to me, Aubrey and Amari are the two biggest question marks or unknowns on this roster.
If they come back and play well it will be like Christmas morning in Husky land!

Two big boxes under the tree. What can they be? Not sweaters, I hope.

Oh boy, it’s slot cars! And I got a Nintendo!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One big difference in projecting how Dorka will perform this year vs. last is how she was used. Last year she was the third big in the rotation. When paired with Liv she did not have many post up opportunities down low. When teamed with Aaliyah it was better, but even then Dorka might have been considered better at the high than the low post relative to Aaliyah.

My point is Dorka is far more of a go to low post scorer than was showed last year. She was the focus of the offense at OSU and a complimentary piece in ours. This year Liv is gone, Dorka is the full-time starting C, and presumably will spend almost all her time on the court as a C. Last year she played at least half the time as a forward. As the starting C and biggest starter, I'm sure Geno will direct more attention to getting her the ball down low.

Because of the other scoring talent on this team, she won't be the focus of the offense like she was at OSU, but she also won't be an afterthought, playing many of her minutes away from her natural position. It is a plus that Dorka "can" play the 4, and an advantage that this year she will rarely have to and can concentrate on her natural position.
Completely agree with your take on Dorka. I commented in another post that I’d like to see her and Amari TAKE (not given) responsibility and ownership of post duties on this team. Split the 40 minutes each game and tell Geno and the team: “we got this.” They go out and play the position like you’re coached and expected to.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Aubrey has good rebounding and defensive skills for her size.

What I am hoping to see this year actually has nothing to do with her physically. It is about between the ears. I want to see her make good kick out decisions when she gets those rebounds when she doesn't have an easy put back. I'd like the ball not get stuck with her because she knows where it needs to go next in the flow of the offense.

Offense aside, I'm looking forward to seeing Griffin and Patterson together on defense. UConn would be an incredibly quick team and a great shot-blocking team, no matter who was the 5.

Reaction Score
UConn has the best post depth we've seen in many years Injuries withstanding (sorry I'm still traumatized from previous seasons small disclaimer). With (in no order)

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna

UConn can cause mismatch fits with this variety of line-ups. Dorka and Aaliyah feeding off each other. Aubrey and Ayanna causing defensive havoc. Amari feeding Ice in the low post/high post and vice verse. Throw Lopez-Senechal for smaller teams to space the floor or mix and match

Guard play be damned, throw the ball in the post and let them figure it out this season. Post play has been the hallmark of successful UConn teams.

Azzi I love ya but Disagree. Post play by itself has not been a hallmark of successful teams. I assume we're talking championships? On top of it- are we going to call 3 point shooters like Maya and KML "post players?" Sveta was no post.

With UCONN at its best-- balance has been the trademark.

How can we say Jen Rizzotti, Sales, Bird, Taurasi, Monty, Ralph, and Hartley "be damned?" . And- though no title yet- I'm having hard time saying "Paige be damned." Very, very, very hard. Very, very, very, Very, very, very, Very, very, very, Very, very, very, hard.

Reaction Score
I agree with the narrative of the post not all the players listed. The only way i see this team beating SC's post machine with new additions of Watkins is if we throw them in the fire and give them the ball to develop a consistent inside outside presence. If its all guard play we wont stand a chance against the likes of SC.
Love your inside/outside comment. But -- as a side comment - you have to get to that game. What good is it to work so hard on an inside game that even at it's best isn't dominant and we lose in a prior round because we couldn't get enough shots for Azzi?

Reaction Score
Azzi I love ya but Disagree. Post play by itself has not been a hallmark of successful teams. I assume we're talking championships? On top of it- are we going to call 3 point shooters like Maya and KML "post players?" Sveta was no post.

With UCONN at its best-- balance has been the trademark.

How can we say Jen Rizzotti, Sales, Bird, Taurasi, Monty, Ralph, and Hartley "be damned?" . And- though no title yet- I'm having hard time saying "Paige be damned." Very, very, very hard. Very, very, very, Very, very, very, Very, very, very, Very, very, very, hard.
The post players are versatile enough that they can cover some of the potholes this season. they need to make threes, Dorka, Amari, Ice and Aliyah can. Moore played more post than guard at UConn. KML benefitted from a Stewart in the post. it's a post players world these days and someone has to make the Bostons, Brinks and Reese's come out of the post to open up the floor in elite matchups.

Reaction Score
Comparing Aubrey to Amari as question marks is comparing apples to oranges. Aubrey is a proven talent.

sun

Reaction Score
Comparing Aubrey to Amari as question marks is comparing apples to oranges. Aubrey is a proven talent.
Proven talent at which skill & position?
If Dorka was injured for a period of time who would be the more logical potential replacement or substitution at center between the two of them?
I don't think that Amari should be considered to be a punching bag because she does have offensive talent and the gift of height.
That means that she doesn't need to jump as many times or expend as much effort to grab rebounds.
Can this year's performance be predicted based on last year or two years ago in Aubrey's case?
No, because every game's circumstances and match ups are different.
There's a lot of luck involved like being in the right place at the right time, & the personal & physical growth involved in every play., and every play counts.
The way that I look at it every one of the Huskies can be a hero that can win the game.
Just put the ball in the hoop, or block the shot, make the pass, pressure the player, whatever it takes.
In that respect most all of the players will have their opportunities to contribute & make a difference.
It just depends on who gets the PT and if they can do the job that's asked of them at their assigned position.
Amari will display growth before the end of the year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We haven't heard about any post talent besides Dorka emerging this year, but that doesn't mean we won't get solid contributions and have good depth. Ice certainly seemed to be a talent on USA basketball last year. She may surprise many.

Reaction Score
We haven't heard about any post talent besides Dorka emerging this year, but that doesn't mean we won't get solid contributions and have good depth. Ice certainly seemed to be a talent on USA basketball last year. She may surprise many.

If Brady was the 5 by default she would be no worse than Dolson was as a freshman, and I think Brady is more advanced both physically and as an outside shooter. The great ting is that she doesn't have to carry the position. But there are 5 posts who may all be 4's. Stewart was a stretch 4.

UConn's size this season can be dominant. They all are either proven or else they have dominated at every level before UConn. If Geno can rotate even 4 posts through the 4/5 spots UConn will wear most teams down. They may not be leading scorers but their mobility and strength will give the outside scorers lots of good looks. If Brady and Patterson only learn to set good screens they will be valuable.

Reaction Score
Dorka needs upper body strength or a jump hook shot. She often fails on put backs to go up strong enough. We will see how this plays out this year. More strenth on put backs will help out her WNBA chances.
"In Dorka, I Trust"....... IMO she will put it " all together" in many ways this year. I love
her passing, energy, and sharing all those "big" smiles with her teammates! Go Huskies!!
There is also a considerable size differential... but I must concede that Aubrey is quite the " leaper'
and ( as Evina said ) "She is a freak!" .. speaking of Aubrey's athletic "skill set" and those incredible hands!

Reaction Score

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna

I neither agree nor disagree. A little of both. Good POST Play has won UC NC's. So has top guard play won UC NC'S. Geno has play guards to near perfection. THE MASTER has used what he was given.
You are most correct a mixture at times, big at time, razzle/dazzle at times and LOu,Azzi,Caroline,Dorka,Ice at times

Reaction Score
For me, the question is usually, how does the front court support the backcourt? And vice versa? Perimeter shooters open things up for the posts — this was the core of Stanford’s game the last few seasons. Strong high post shooting opens things up for cutters and dish-off opportunities in the low post. Strong low post play keeps perimeter defenders honest.

Reaction Score
I am not the one who made the comparison between Griffin and DeBerry. "proven talent at which skill or position?" Griffin has performed at a high level, witness Tennessee and Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
If Brady was the 5 by default she would be no worse than Dolson was as a freshman, and I think Brady is more advanced both physically and as an outside shooter. The great ting is that she doesn't have to carry the position. But there are 5 posts who may all be 4's. Stewart was a stretch 4.

UConn's size this season can be dominant. They all are either proven or else they have dominated at every level before UConn. If Geno can rotate even 4 posts through the 4/5 spots UConn will wear most teams down. They may not be leading scorers but their mobility and strength will give the outside scorers lots of good looks. If Brady and Patterson only learn to set good screens they will be valuable.
Ayldar---I agree on your view of the Frosh, but I'm not sure of your view of Dolson. Care to expand that a bit.
The Dolson I saw as a Frosh wasn't perfect but, I'd take her on this team in a heart beat. Remember, she was tasked in about game 3 or 4 to defend against 6 ft 6in Griner, she learned quickly. Then look what she grew into.
Which frosh can you project 2years forward as Steff?

Reaction Score
I am not the one who made the comparison between Griffin and DeBerry. "proven talent at which skill or position?" Griffin has performed at a high level, witness Tennessee and Seton Hall.
Pre injury yes , post injury we have no clue .......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom