Big Post Energy | The Boneyard

Big Post Energy

Reaction Score
UConn has the best post depth we've seen in many years Injuries withstanding (sorry I'm still traumatized from previous seasons small disclaimer). With (in no order)

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna
6. Lopez-Senechal (at the 3)

UConn can cause mismatch fits with this variety of line-ups. Dorka and Aaliyah feeding off each other. Aubrey and Ayanna causing defensive havoc. Amari feeding Ice in the low post/high post and vice verse. Throw Lopez-Senechal for smaller teams to space the floor or mix and match

Guard play be damned, throw the ball in the post and let them figure it out this season. Post play has been the hallmark of successful UConn teams.

Agree or Disagree? I love and respect each of you all btw

Reaction Score
I love our post players — not sure about including Lou in this list just because she’s going to be so valuable to us at the perimeter. But you’re right, that’s a lot of depth… and strength. Aaliyah Ice Ayanna are the kind of players opponents will bounce off.

Reaction Score
UConn has the best post depth we've seen in many years Injuries withstanding (sorry I'm still traumatized from previous seasons small disclaimer). With (in no order)

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna

UConn can cause mismatch fits with this variety of line-ups. Dorka and Aaliyah feeding off each other. Aubrey and Ayanna causing defensive havoc. Amari feeding Ice in the low post/high post and vice verse. Throw Lopez-Senechal for smaller teams to space the floor or mix and match

Guard play be damned, throw the ball in the post and let them figure it out this season. Post play has been the hallmark of successful UConn teams.

Aubrey and Lou Lopez- don’t think so.
Guess we’ll have ton”suffer through” with only five.
And I’ll take our chances against South Carolina,

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna

Agreed. But I'm going to agree with most things you say simply because of your avatar.

Reaction Score
How do you define post player? If you mean frontcourt absolutely. There are 3 centers on this team, if you want to include Edwards, 4. The frontcourt should include Ducharme as well, as she will be playing the wing also.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Aubrey and Lou Lopez- don’t think so.
Guess we’ll have ton”suffer through” with only five.
And I’ll take our chances against South Carolina,
I agree with you on Lou. But Aubrey is more than capable of taking on opposing Bigs, as she did 2 years ago vs SC with 3 blocks against the likes of Boston & Amihere. She also had a spectacular rejection against TN’s 6’5” Key.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm glad you included "energy" in the thread title. I think a lot of people lose sight of how much energy is expended just keeping someone like Boston or Morrow off the block. Just having more bodies to absorb the low-post bumping and grinding is a step in the right direction. I'm really excited that UConn has three more bodies to throw at the bigger teams, and they're all quality players.

Reaction Score
The beauty of this squad is that that 'big post energy' will be matched in the backcourt as well. Geno and company will have incredible versatility available as to the looks they can put on the floor. Lotsa talent across all positions and at both ends of the court. Opposing coaches and teams will potentially have fits trying maintain effective matchups. This is going to be a fun season!

Reaction Score
Lou Lopez S. is not a "post" player, but, in many of
the highlight films from Fairfield University ( no longer
available) she would often take her defender into
the post area or receive a past in the "low post" and
score over whoever was attempting to cover her. Being
" highlights " I saw her make quite a few baskets.
To be sure.. a different league and different competition...
but she has the moves and the shots to " work" down there )
So... yes... Geno has a lot of options in the forward and
post positions .... " positionless basketball" as we all know it!!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
UConn has the best post depth we've seen in many years
I agree with your post depth assessment. Personally I'd prefer less depth and more dominant post play. We never had to speak of depth when we had Tina or Stewie. South Carolina is probably saying "We have THE Aaliyah and you don't. Bring on your non-dominant depth." Having said that I am hoping for some dominance from Dorka and our Aaliyah for this coming season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree with your post depth assessment. Personally I'd prefer less depth and more dominant post play. We never had to speak of depth when we had Tina or Stewie. South Carolina is probably saying "We have THE Aaliyah and you don't. Bring on your non-dominant depth." Having said that I am hoping for some dominance from Dorka and our Aaliyah for this coming season.
No post depth with Stewie? Stewie played 2 seasons with Steph, 3 with Kiah Stokes and 4 with Tuck, all of whom could match up with opposing post players. I recall one tournament game when Geno had Stewie, Kiah and Tuck on the court at the same time. The other team struggled to pull down a rebound at either end of the court.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

1. Dorka
2. Aaliyah
3. Ice
4. Amari
4. Aubrey
5. Ayanna

:eek:I though Guards win championship.

Reaction Score
Lou Lopez S. is not a "post" player, but, in many of
the highlight films from Fairfield University ( no longer
available) she would often take her defender into
the post area or receive a past in the "low post" and
score over whoever was attempting to cover her.
Initially, I was doubtful of calling Lou a post player. But you’re right that she did display post moves at Fairfield. She’s about the same height as Ashley Joens or Morrow, and on offense at least, I think she can be similarly efficient (ie quick). She’s probably not as resourceful in post moves as Joens, and probably not as strong as Morrow. But she may be able to do some work down there.

I doubt we’ll want her to defend other posts, and I think we’ll want to use her facing the basket more. Above all, I think her perimeter skills are most important to us.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One always has to think of post depth because of the problem of FOULS!!! Nearly every post that has played at UConn (definitely including Tina, Stef, and Napheesa) has been foul-prone, and I don't expect this year to be any exception -- especially for the two freshmen. Having a number of nearly interchangeable bodies really helps to minimize the issue of foul trouble -- often an issue when UConn loses.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on Lou. But Aubrey is more than capable of taking on opposing Bigs, as she did 2 years ago vs SC with 3 blocks against the likes of Boston & Amihere. She also had a spectacular rejection against TN’s 6’5” Key.
Aubrey has good rebounding and defensive skills for her size.

What I am hoping to see this year actually has nothing to do with her physically. It is about between the ears. I want to see her make good kick out decisions when she gets those rebounds when she doesn't have an easy put back. I'd like the ball not get stuck with her because she knows where it needs to go next in the flow of the offense.

Reaction Score
I'm also hoping that in addition to numbers at the center/post position that we have power & muscle, players who not only can bring a physical presence but do so regularly and will pound it inside more. Aaliyah is strong, Dorka was playing great before being injured, and I have high hopes that Ice and Ayanna will provide that physical presence. I would love to see Amari display that kind of aggression too. Let's get the other teams in foul trouble!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree completely. Nothing would please me more than for Dorka, and Amari to take responsibility and ownership for UConn’s post play this year. They can split the 40 minutes per game.

The player that plays best/has the hot hand gets the bulk of the minutes in any particular game. During the course of the year, the minutes would even out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing would please me more than for Dorka, and Amari to take responsibility and ownership for UConn’s post play this year. They can split the 40 minutes per game.
From your lips to God’s ear

Reaction Score
If Amari has advanced enough to split floor time 50/50 with Dorka, I would be shocked, dumbfounded, amazed, astounded, floored, mystified, etc etc etc.
I realize that “hope springs eternal”, but geez…

Reaction Score
I’m like the Michelin man, just layers of hope stacked up like pancakes.

Reaction Score
We have more depth among the bigs, substantially so, in essence losing Liv and adding Ayanna, Ice, and Aubrey, while hoping Amari becomes a player worthy of the rotation. Whoever comes off the bench will be very good for a backup. What we don't know at this point is if the starting two will be better than last year. Will Dorka be better than Liv overall? I don't know, my best guess is about the same. As for Aaliyah being better this year than last I believe the odds are quite good, mostly because if she is just as good as she was in her freshmen season, that would be a major improvement over her sophomore season.

So if Dorka can match Liv, and Aaliyah returns to form, plus a very talented bench, things are looking very good up front. We could probably sustain an injury, or maybe even two and still be pretty good there. In the backcourt we are talented but thin, and any injury to the main 4 would have a major impact. Our frontcourt depth then could become relevant as a small fix using Aubrey and/or Ayanna some at the 3.

I am in the camp that considers Aubrey a 4 that could play some 3, and have the same view of Ayanna. As for Lou at the 4, it doesn't make sense to me. I know quite a few like the 4 small lineup possibility, but we have more talent that can play the 4 very well than for any other position. There is no burning need to go small. Even if we did, I believe the first option would be Caroline at the 4 and Lou the second choice.

You never know with injuries, but if they are roughly equal between our bigs and guards I believe we will see far more of Aubrey or Ayanna
at the 3 than we see Caroline or Lou at the 4.

Reaction Score
I am in the camp that considers Aubrey a 4 that could play some 3, and have the same view of Ayanna. As for Lou at the 4, it doesn't make sense to me. I know quite a few like the 4 small lineup possibility, but we have more talent that can play the 4 very well than for any other position. There is no burning need to go small. Even if we did, I believe the first option would be Caroline at the 4 and Lou the second choice.
This is more or less my thinking too. But I think there will be at least a few minutes in many games when we’ll play 4-out. We did that a bit over the last two seasons. In those days it was Paige Christyn Evina Anna/Aubrey/Nika with either Liv or Aaliyah in the middle.

It’s a speed team, and you don’t play it for an entire game. It works best if you have great perimeter shooting. I think this year we’ll have great perimeter shooting, plus players like Caroline and Lou who are big enough to crash the lane on occasion and block a shot or two to keep opponents honest even on D.

I can easily imagine a lineup like Azzi Caroline Lou Aubrey/Ayanna and either Dorka or Aaliyah in the middle. We could have a ton of flexibility to run a lineup like this.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
No post depth with Stewie? Stewie played 2 seasons with Steph, 3 with Kiah Stokes and 4 with Tuck, all of whom could match up with opposing post players. I recall one tournament game when Geno had Stewie, Kiah and Tuck on the court at the same time. The other team struggled to pull down a rebound at either end of the court.
As I typed my post I intend to limit Stewie to her Jr & Sr years. Tuck was not around that much plus not dominant. Kiah was favor on defense but no. scoring. No play could adequately spell Steele in her last two years. They could give her breather

Reaction Score
We have more depth among the bigs, substantially so, in essence losing Liv and adding Ayanna, Ice, and Aubrey, while hoping Amari becomes a player worthy of the rotation. Whoever comes off the bench will be very good for a backup. What we don't know at this point is if the starting two will be better than last year. Will Dorka be better than Liv overall? I don't know, my best guess is about the same. As for Aaliyah being better this year than last I believe the odds are quite good, mostly because if she is just as good as she was in her freshmen season, that would be a major improvement over her sophomore season.

So if Dorka can match Liv, and Aaliyah returns to form, plus a very talented bench, things are looking very good up front. We could probably sustain an injury, or maybe even two and still be pretty good there. In the backcourt we are talented but thin, and any injury to the main 4 would have a major impact. Our frontcourt depth then could become relevant as a small fix using Aubrey and/or Ayanna some at the 3.

You never know with injuries, but if they are roughly equal between our bigs and guards I believe we will see far more of Aubrey or Ayanna
at the 3 than we see Caroline or Lou at the 4.
While I agree about this being one of the best overall frontcourts in several years, questioning some of the "matching Liv" comments. At 6'5," ONO was a solid rebounder, defender, and shot blocker. Hopefully our "committee" approach will get the job done but wondering if some are forgetting Liv's skill set.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom