Big night for the best player in the world... | The Boneyard

Big night for the best player in the world...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Diana scores 34 and has 6 rebounds and 7 assists and 2 steals as Phoenix blows out LA tonight. Charde had 15 points and played 30 minutes as a starter. It seems like she's thriving in Phx.

Griner had 10 points, and "not in the top 10 MVP" Parker had 15 points as LA lost 97-81... In fact, after tonight, Diana may be in the top 3 in scoring with Maya and Tina, altho Maya may drop a bit after scoring "only" 10 in Minny's win. And Tina only had 7 points in the Sun's loss so who knows...

I seriously don't know what to make of Phx. They started the season with some awful games but certainly seem to be playing more like the team I expected at the start of the year. I really thought Minny and Phx were the 2 best teams in the west and LA and SA were a close 3 and 4.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Meanwhile Tina & Kalana found beating Indiana was too much for them going forward, but Kelly got serious minutes, had a trey, scored 5 points.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I seriously don't know what to make of Phx. They started the season with some awful games but certainly seem to be playing more like the team I expected at the start of the year.

Phoenix Mercury return to old system, defeat Los Angeles Sparks

It wasn't Brittney Griner. It was the system.

The Mercury started off their season 0-3 with Griner in the starting lineup and as the new focal point in the offense. But when she didn't play, the Mercury won their first game while using their old running offense.
So the Mercury dropped the new offensive wrinkle and went back to what they knew best. Increase the tempo and let Diana Taurasi run the show. Then let Griner's length, skill and athleticism complement that.

"It's organized chaos," Mercury coach Corey Gaines said. "It's all that it is. There are a couple of set plays but it's all quick hitters."

As it should have been from the start, the Mercury (2-3) were led by Taurasi. She is now the team's main ball handler. But instead of being called the point guard, Gaines has branded her the "lead guard." Though Taurasi brings it up the court, she doesn't just facilitate the offense, she is the offense.

[Edit: the above text is all excerpted from the linked article.]

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Phoenix Mercury return to old system, defeat Los Angeles Sparks

It wasn't Brittney Griner. It was the system.

The Mercury started off their season 0-3 with Griner in the starting lineup and as the new focal point in the offense. But when she didn't play, the Mercury won their first game while using their old running offense.
So the Mercury dropped the new offensive wrinkle and went back to what they knew best. Increase the tempo and let Diana Taurasi run the show. Then let Griner's length, skill and athleticism complement that.

"It's organized chaos," Mercury coach Corey Gaines said. "It's all that it is. There are a couple of set plays but it's all quick hitters."

As it should have been from the start, the Mercury (2-3) were led by Taurasi. She is now the team's main ball handler. But instead of being called the point guard, Gaines has branded her the "lead guard." Though Taurasi brings it up the court, she doesn't just facilitate the offense, she is the offense.

observable fact indeed. I was wondering why Diana kept it under wraps during the first three games. I am glad to see her back to running the show.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I love what I'm seeing from Phoenix. Those first few games were painful to watch. The entire team looks energized now.

I like this offense for BG. She obviously moves well enough to get open in the paint and DT is going to find her. And BG looks much more comfortable with this free flowing offense.

Houston looks great and Bonner looks better but I could stand to see fewer 3-pointers from her.

When Talyor returns, watch out! Phoenix may be the only team in the west that will be able to challenge Minny. The next game should look quite different than the first one.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I mean this as no disrespect to any other players, but DT is just the best. I love a player with a little swag and DT brings it like nobody else and can back it up with her skills. BG is in the perfect situation to learn about work ethic and how to compete from the best competitor ever.

My three favorite players of all time are now BG, DT and Holdsclaw.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's called let Diana decide who shoots the ball, as it should when you have the best player in WBB. The only other person who could be on the floor, and be the lead guard would be Sue.

Exactly. I was a little disappointed that this wasn't how the first three games went. I hated seeing Prahalis at to point as she just doesn't have the skill or decision making ability to run this fast paced offense. With DT in charge this looks like a completely different team. I don't think they will have any 20 point losses going forward.

Reaction Score
Exactly. I was a little disappointed that this wasn't how the first three games went. I hated seeing Prahalis at to point as she just doesn't have the skill or decision making ability to run this fast paced offense. With DT in charge this looks like a completely different team. I don't think they will have any 20 point losses going forward.
Also if you notice they are now rebounding the ball, which even with BG on the floor the 1st 3 games they were getting killed rebounding. People don't put enough emphasis on how important rebounding is to winning.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Bonner had a double double last night with 23 points and 12 rebounds - yes, she went 1-8 on 3s - sometimes you shoot and the shots don't fall. She made a sizable contribution to the game last night. She is a good player and has proved her worth by winning the 6th man award several times including her rookie year.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Bonner had a double double last night with 23 points and 12 rebounds - yes, she went 1-8 on 3s - sometimes you shoot and the shots don't fall. She made a sizable contribution to the game last night. She is a good player and has proved her worth by winning the 6th man award several times including her rookie year.
I think she also learned a lot last year with DT out, Taylor out, and Bonner having to be the primary offensive option. Last year's awful season not only led to landing Griner, but also to hopefully a more mature Bonner...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's called let Diana decide who shoots the ball, as it should when you have the best player in WBB. The only other person who could be on the floor, and be the lead guard would be Sue.

Putting Prahalis, instead of DT, in charge of running the offense was like taking the keys from Kyle Busch and giving them to Amanda Bynes.

Reaction Score
Diana scores 34 and has 6 rebounds and 7 assists and 2 steals as Phoenix blows out LA tonight. Charde had 15 points and played 30 minutes as a starter. It seems like she's thriving in Phx.

Griner had 10 points, and "not in the top 10 MVP" Parker had 15 points as LA lost 97-81... In fact, after tonight, Diana may be in the top 3 in scoring with Maya and Tina, altho Maya may drop a bit after scoring "only" 10 in Minny's win. And Tina only had 7 points in the Sun's loss so who knows...

I seriously don't know what to make of Phx. They started the season with some awful games but certainly seem to be playing more like the team I expected at the start of the year. I really thought Minny and Phx were the 2 best teams in the west and LA and SA were a close 3 and 4.
Gees, I thought this was an article about Maya Moore. Oh well, Diane isn't bad!

Reaction Score
I'll see PHX on Sunday and hope to see the full impact of the Griner effect :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I mean this as no disrespect to any other players, but DT is just the best. I love a player with a little swag and DT brings it like nobody else and can back it up with her skills. BG is in the perfect situation to learn about work ethic and how to compete from the best competitor ever.

My three favorite players of all time are now BG, DT and Holdsclaw.

DT.. .Swag

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Watching the tape of the game now, and noted that they said Gaines visited with Westhead and also Flip Saunders to discuss his team's issues.

By the way - I find it mildly annoying that the announcers can't learn to pronounce official's names. Both Inouye and Pantoja were butchered. College announcers, bad and good, usually get the names right, although at least once a year, someone doesn't pronounce Tina (as in Napier) with the long "i" she uses.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In an end of game interview from the prior game - a much needed win - Diana said she had stepped it up and the first few games she had not been as aggressive as she should have been. Said she would be bringing it from now on. Guess she meant it! Simply the smartest most talented player in the world.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In an end of game interview from the prior game - a much needed win - Diana said she had stepped it up and the first few games she had not been as aggressive as she should have been. Said she would be bringing it from now on. Guess she meant it! Simply the smartest most talented player in the world.

The difference in the DT from the first 3 games and the last 2 is substantial. And you can tell that her increased intensity is flowing out to her teammates. This is once again HER team, as it must be for Phoenix to win.

BG being out that one game was good for this team. Plus she got to watch the game as she needs to play it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The difference in the DT from the first 3 games and the last 2 is substantial. And you can tell that her increased intensity is flowing out to her teammates. This is once again HER team, as it must be for Phoenix to win.

BG being out that one game was good for this team. Plus she got to watch the game as she needs to play it.
I think it's cool that you can be objective about her. Of course you are a Baylor homer (not in a bad way, just like I'm a UCONN homer), but you obviously want her to be the best she can be, which is going to be pretty damn good.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think it's cool that you can be objective about her. Of course you are a Baylor homer (not in a bad way, just like I'm a UCONN homer), but you obviously want her to be the best she can be, which is going to be pretty damn good.

I like that Phoenix went back to DT being the focal point. Watching her play with what appears to be a healthy body is a beautiful thing to see. And this offense is perfect for her.

I like that BG is not the focal point of the offense. I've always wanted to see her given the freedom of getting off the low block, which she was rarely allowed to do at Baylor. Her game in 5 years will be miles ahead of her Baylor years due to the offense that Phoenix runs. Had she gone to most any other team she would have been planted on the low block again with little room for growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom