Big Game Against Nova | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big Game Against Nova

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I hate when Vitale makes a good point, but there has been this weird development in the last 5-10 years across college and even high school basketball where bigs refuse to look the backboard in the post. Sanogo has this problem. It makes the shots significantly more difficult.
In my day the bigs were taught to look at the rim - thats where the ball goes.
And yes, Sanogo may have had some success at scoring the ball but he lacks a lot of mechanics that makes a big man totally successful.
Hopefully someone will step up and work with him - he has a NBA body
If you are talking about using the board for hitting the angle shots, I agree with DV and you. It is surely a lost art- need McHale and Cowans to mentor these bigs

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No. UConn is one of those teams that would need a miracle to beat Baylor. UConn doesn't have a guy that demands a double team, and I think a team needs to have an NBA caliber player that demands a double team in order to create open shots for other players. Baylor is just too good defensively to beat straight up with the offense UConn has. Baylor would hold UConn to <35% shooting.
Who's the NBA talent on NOVA you need to double team?

Reaction Score
Baylor is good. There are maybe 10-15 teams that can realistically beat them without needing a miracle. Villanova is one of those teams and Villanova looks helpless right now.
"There are maybe 10-15 teams that can realistically beat them without needing a miracle." ?? And we are not in that 15. Strange.

No. UConn is one of those teams that would need a miracle to beat Baylor. UConn doesn't have a guy that demands a double team, and I think a team needs to have an NBA caliber player that demands a double team in order to create open shots for other players. Baylor is just too good defensively to beat straight up with the offense UConn has. Baylor would hold UConn to <35% shooting.
Hmmm questionable.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
In my day the bigs were taught to look at the rim - thats where the ball goes.
And yes, Sanogo may have had some success at scoring the ball but he lacks a lot of mechanics that makes a big man totally successful.
Hopefully someone will step up and work with him - he has a NBA body

You use the front of the rim when you are shooting jump shots, not when you are inside. I was a center and could never dunk, so everything inside of 5-6 feet went off the backboard. Using the backboard makes it is easier to adjust to the distance, and makes runners and shots off movement and bumps much easier. It also reduces the effectiveness of the shot blockers because you don't have to shoot the ball as soft as you would going straight in. When you are going straight in, the ball stays in your hand for a split second longer, enabling the shot blocker that much longer to get a finger on it.

How many shots inside of 10 feet is Villanova going to miss because they are trying to shoot straight in? They are up to about 8 now.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Sanogo was routinely being double-teamed.

He is as close as it gets. I think Baylor is a little better defensively than Central though.

Reaction Score
I don't see how anyone can watch Nova and come to the conclusion we can't be better. They're VERY underwhelming

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Who's the NBA talent on NOVA you need to double team?

They have a lot of top tier college scorers, and they are getting annihilated.

I hope you are right that UConn is a lot better than Villanova. We will find out soon.

Reaction Score
Nova is ovrerrated but until we have our full plethora of players we can't beat Villanova since our lack of scoring. Hopefully Sanogo is back for the Nova game. Martin seems to be on track to be back soon.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are a lot of posters claiming UConn is a lot better than Villanova. We will circle back to this thread in February.

Reaction Score
They have a lot of top tier college scorers, and they are getting annihilated.

I hope you are right that UConn is a lot better than Villanova. We will find out soon.
They do not have a lot of top tier college scorers. Have we been watching the same team? It's all system. I didn't say we were a lot better than Nova. Do put that on me lol

Reaction Score
serious question- do duke fans root for UNC so it helps their SOS when they play? does michigan root for michigan state? or do they hope their rivals lose every game? growing up i certainly rooted for Cuse to lose every game so why do i now find myself always rooting for other BE teams unless we're playing them? it doesnt feel like we have a hated rival anymore and i think it is b/c of a collective BE inferiority complex.
I've rooted for every Big East team out of conference my whole life. I was a Cuse fan when they played for the title, I was a Nova fan when they played in their title games, I was a Seton Hall fan when they played for the title.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
Okay so this just went all bad…Anybody watching Seton Hall vs. Rutgers later? Lol

Reaction Score
This is hard to watch. Complete domination.

I really want to beat this Nova team. I'm not sure it's gonna be easy as it looks.

Reaction Score
This is hard to watch. Complete domination.

I really want to beat this Nova team. I'm not sure it's gonna be easy as it looks.
Not easy. Jay Wright is great. But Auburn is better

Reaction Score
I think the UConn team that played Auburn would have a shot against Baylor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They do not have a lot of top tier college scorers. Have we been watching the same team? It's all system. I didn't say we were a lot better than Nova. Do put that on me lol

So Villanova sucks and are a pretender, but they are still better, or worse, than UConn? I am having trouble following your logic. I will put you down for a UConn sweep of Nova by 10 points in both games. I am rooting for you.

Reaction Score
So Villanova sucks and are a pretender, but they are still better, or worse, than UConn? I am having trouble following your logic. I will put you down for a UConn sweep of Nova by 10 points in both games. I am rooting for you.
no on said nova sucks. They aren't the 6th best team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Gillespie airballed a wide open three. Seems that could happen to anyone, I guess.

Reaction Score
I do not recall anyone on this thread stating that we are better than Nova. Though we are on par with them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom