Big East? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guarantee Geno is frustrated by this situation... but there's nothing he can do. Travel expenses will be up... income and level of competition will be down. They'll just be waiting for the phone to ring.

I think Geno is the best basketball coach in the country, men or women, college or pro. However, he is at least partly responsible for this situation. He sided with Hathaway against Calhoun. Hathaway is responsible for destroying the football program at a critical time with his hiring of Pastagogo. That is what is hurting UConn more than anything right now. If we had a top 50 football program, heading in the RIGHT direction, we would be in the ACC already. The Big 10 was never an option because our research expenditures are way lower than the monster universities already in that conference and well below the requirements of AAU membership, which is an idiotic requirement of the Big 10. The Pac 10 and Big 12 really make so sense geographically. The SEC MAY have been a possibility but if our football wasn't good enough for the ACC, there is no way it is good enough for the cheat to win SEC.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Yes, football brings in the most money even at UConn.

Not as much as you would think ICE. At least not if men's and women's basketball revenues are combined. I was really surprised. Maybe that's why UConn has not been attractive to other conferences. Just not enough football money. These numbers are rough because I didn't include "chicken feed" revenues and expenses.

In 2010 -
Football operating revenues - 12.4 million
Basketball operating revenues - 12.6 million

Major football revenue sources - 12.2 million
Major basketball revenue sources - 12.3 million

The fly in the ointment is the addiitonal $11M in revenues "not team related." The reporting document does not indicate how those monies are divied up.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Geno is the best basketball coach in the country, men or women, college or pro. However, he is at least partly responsible for this situation. He sided with Hathaway against Calhoun. Hathaway is responsible for destroying the football program at a critical time with his hiring of Pastagogo. That is what is hurting UConn more than anything right now.

I've seen a rather lengthy list of people/entities who are being blamed for the current situation: Herbst, Manuel, Hathaway, Jeff Jacobs (and the media for not being tough enough on UConn's efforts to get itself invited to a conference) and ESPN. It was only a matter of time before Geno would be added to the list. And why is it that Geno is "at least partly responsible for this situation?" He was friends with Hathaway. And if not for this friendship, Hathaway would not have hired Paul Pasqualoni. Yep, that's it.

This could be the dumbest thing I've read to date on this subject and that's saying quite a lot.

Reaction Score
I've seen a rather lengthy list of people/entities who are being blamed for the current situation: Herbst, Manuel, Hathaway, Jeff Jacobs (and the media for not being tough enough on UConn's efforts to get itself invited to a conference) and ESPN. It was only a matter of time before Geno would be added to the list. And why is it that Geno is "at least partly responsible for this situation?" He was friends with Hathaway. And if not for this friendship, Hathaway would not have hired Paul Pasqualoni. Yep, that's it.

This could be the dumbest thing I've read to date on this subject and that's saying quite a lot.

Perhaps it is because you can't understand the nuances. There is one assumption built in which is that Hathaway stayed in his job longer than he would have if it weren't for Geno's support. I concede that there is no way of knowing how much more time Geno's support may have bought Hathaway. As such, there is no way of knowing if it kept him in the job long enough to be in charge of replacing the football coach with a turnip. But Geno was a Hathaway supporter and I happen to believe, contrary to many fans of the men's team, that Geno does have influence in Storrs. While there may be no way to know if this support allowed Hathaway to stay in his job long enough to hire Pastagogo, it probably kept him in the job longer than had he not had Geno's support. Hathaway was an awful AD and Geno supported him. You can't get away from that fact. You probably like to blame people for voting for politicans who get elected but that you think are awful because of what they did while in office. Hathaway, awful, had Geno's vote of confidence.

Again, I think Geno is a basketball genius and a great leader. But he misjudged Hathaway and it probably hurt the athletic department to some extent, even if we don't know exactly how much or exactly in which way.

Reaction Score
Well it seems that this would be a good time for the NCAA to step in and try and bring some order to this entire process across all conferences nationwide. This might result in a better outcome for everyone with regards to the distribution of revenue, skill level (for both football and basketball) and maintaining some sense of geography. Of course this is just a pipe dream but it seems that it would be a lot better than the current and constantly changing situation. At the moment there seems to be no sense of order in college sports. Just one man's opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom