Big East? | The Boneyard

Big East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I just heard a sports report on WTIC TV that said the Big East may dissolve either today or within the next couple of days. According to the report the 7 sisters have made the decision to leave and they may vote to abolish the league to divvy up the money.

Other reports (USA Today, ESPN) indicate the 7 schools have made the decision to leave but how they do that has yet to be determined.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ae7xNqRKgSMl1o138hSsxCMEofp1N2XczrsN1895MbcANTqe6QQvfV8jyESnZKE-qc5EbaoWjO9-BcJZyVQ8egT2trvNEZpRANyWvi_keC5xuZJCkdk

Reaction Score
Uconn in bad spot. Rumors are big10 going after Ga Tech and either Va. or NC. SEC after Clemson and either NC or Fla St. Big 12 also considering a couple of ACC schools, Va tech, Miami. If this happens there is no good landing spot for UConn. Should the school consider downgrading football and join the 7 Big East schools in a quality basketball league. Men and Women?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The channel 8 sports reporter took a shot at Herbst tonight. He mentioned that she had been communicating with all of the Catholic schools urging them to remain. He closed with "this after she was discussing a UConn move last week with the ACC"

Reaction Score
I wish I had more confidence in Warde Manuel and Susan Herbst to find a good outcome for UConn, but when Warde was interviewed during the Paradise Jam, he did not exude (to me anyways) much in the way of leadership, strategic vision, or a clear and inspirational message. And during halftime of the Colgate game, I'm afraid that Susan Herbst left me feeling much the same. AND, that was at a time when they should have expected to be interviewed and consequently prepared with talking points on this subject to delivery to UConn nation. The very fact that we have gotten to this point does not say much about the job they've been doing - - deer wandering in the headlights. I'm hoping that they will impress me with some innovative solution, but I'm not optimistic.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Uconn in bad spot. Rumors are big10 going after Ga Tech and either Va. or NC. SEC after Clemson and either NC or Fla St. Big 12 also considering a couple of ACC schools, Va tech, Miami. If this happens there is no good landing spot for UConn. Should the school consider downgrading football and join the 7 Big East schools in a quality basketball league. Men and Women?

Why would the SEC go after Clemson and FSU when they already have the Univ. of South Carolina and the University of Florida? Both the flagship schools with far more of a following than Clemson & FSU. That wont happen.

Reaction Score
Honest to goodness....all of a sudden all these new posters show up to post about the impending implosion of the Big East. Everyone has to pile on, right? :mad:

Reaction Score
It's over. :(
This surely does not help recruiting.

Now looking like a conference with UConn-Cinci-Temple-Memphis-Tulane-SMU-Houston-UCF-USF, if even that holds together. Temple is probably the only team that could come within 30 pts during the remainder of Geno's career.

Reaction Score
This has been, overall, a very crappy day.

My 90 year-old mother-in-law fell earlier this evening. Hubby is with her at the hospital getting x-rays for broken ribs. She already has two artificial hips, but she is not at all stable on her feet and there is concern that she may have damaged one of them. They have been deteriorating for a few years, and her ortho doctor said at her age it was not a good option to do a replacement of the replacement.

My cat had surgery today for removal of two cysts and did not handle it well. She stopped breathing during surgery. They were able to breathe for her and complete the surgery. She is home with one of those "cone of shame" collars and is very scared and disoriented. I feel so bad for the poor thing.

Now this...I guess the other two kind of puts the demise of the BE in perspective, but still...it is a very unpleasant piece of news.

The only good thing is bad things happen in threes. Which means I probably don't need to worry about my son's safety anymore.

Reaction Score
I've been looking around elsewhere -- other blogs, etc. -- and am seeing a lot ofpeople suggesting that the Big 12 might recruit these teams out of the ACC and the Big 10 might do something else, and even one who suggested that the other leagues would pick the ACC clean like a Thanksgiving turkey. The only thing we know for sure is that right no, and probably for some time to come, UConn will not be the master of its own destiny. It is a university with a B academic reputation, a B men's basketball program (only because of scandal and a change at the top), an A women's basketball program and a C- football program. Football and to a lesser extent academics seem to be what count.

We had better get used to the fact that uncertainty will be ongoing for a while, because with the Catholic schools leaving and the Big East a shadow of its former self, the other leagues can wait for a long time -- forever if they want -- before waving an invitation at UConn or anyone else.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
UConn will do whatever is best for the football program.
Chances are that means hanging on to whatever is left of the Big East (or whatever the non-Catholic football schools choose to call themselves going forward) and continue to beg for a bid from the ACC. (A bid that will almost surely come if the SEC or Big 10 raids the ACC.) They should probably let the Catholic schools keep the Big East name, and call the new conference either "The Misfit 10" or "In Transition 8" because that's what they'll be. Good luck getting even close to HALF the TV money that ESPN offered and the Big East turned down last year. And how can any of these new conference members trust UConn or Cincinnati when they know either school will leave the first chance they get?
I guarantee Geno is frustrated by this situation... but there's nothing he can do. Travel expenses will be up... income and level of competition will be down. They'll just be waiting for the phone to ring.

Reaction Score
It's going to be rough if it all plays out the way most in the media think it's going to. If there are 4 "super conferences" they are going to be the B10, SEC, B12, PAC10. The B10 and SEC are the cream of the crop and already stand at 14 teams each. They'll both raid the ACC for the most viable 2 programs to their conference. The B12 will focus on poaching the ACC as well. ND will join a conference taking another spot. The PAC10 will have the most difficulty because of geography so they may be smaller than the other conferences. The remainder of the BE and ACC will have to band together, but the "big 4" will control how things work with playoffs, tv contracts etc and will give the new BE/ACC combo conference the shaft...it could be a constant state of life support. Hoping that teams just stay put for now, not likely though.

Reaction Score
It's GOING to be rough? What are you talking about?!? Rough is here.

More conference chaos can only help UConn, because things can't get much worse. With continued movement, UConn might be able to make it to ACC 2.0, which will still be better than the current situation.

Reaction Score
It's GOING to be rough? What are you talking about?!? Rough is here.

More conference chaos can only help UConn, because things can't get much worse. With continued movement, UConn might be able to make it to ACC 2.0, which will still be better than the current situation.
+1

Kait14

Kait the Great
Reaction Score
I really don't understand how Herbst and Warde could have the football team first in their minds.. Does the football team bring in the most money? Honest question, I'm really curious. Do they know that UConn is a basketball school and we don't really care about football?

Reaction Score
too much gloom and doom for me; in my opinion, UConn will probably land in the ACC when everything settles down the road and the prime football schools have been picked through. Getting upset does nothing beneficial for anyone; have faith and let's see what happens.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Maryland and remember watching the Maryland, UNC, Duke games late at night when my family was asleep. That was the best basketball conference for years, and with the upcoming changes, may be the ultimate bb conference for years to come. Frankly, that is an exciting prospect to me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I really don't understand how Herbst and Warde could have the football team first in their minds.. Does the football team bring in the most money? Honest question, I'm really curious. Do they know that UConn is a basketball school and we don't really care about football?
Yes, football brings in the most money even at UConn.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
UConn might be the one having to turn off the lights when all is said & done... :(

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
If the ACC is poached by other conferences that would be a good thing for UConn...opening up slots for newcomers. That is where we belong.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I hear we are joining the PAC12. Hey, it makes as much sense as some of the other options folks are promoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom