Big East=Recruitment Advantage? | The Boneyard

Big East=Recruitment Advantage?

Reaction Score
In today's NY Times is an article suggesting that UConn, especially the men, will benefit from entering the Big East next season. The advantages include playing traditional rivals relatively close to home. There's also the chance to put some of the recent scandal on the men's side behind the Huskies.
What about the women?
"For UConn’s powerhouse women’s basketball program, the change will be more subtle.
'We’re kind of used to being the bad guys everywhere we go,' said Coach Geno Auriemma, whose team is ranked No. 2 in the latest Associated Press Top 25 poll. 'It’s always we’re the team that everybody loves to hate and wants to beat.'
Success for UConn’s women’s team includes a long history in the Big East, including eight national championships while a part of the conference." [For UConn, a Transition Year to the Big East Helps Recruiting]

Will the move help the women as well? I think so, based on the observation of how many athletes prefer to play their college ball where family and friends can see them. It's really hard to pry players out of Texas, for example. The appeal of not having to travel so much as well as the prestige that comes with playing in a more competitive league should also help. Does it look all good to you?

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I doubt it will help much. It may hurt a little. But UCONN is UCONN, at least til Geno retires. No matter what conference we are in. They are not going to have too much trouble recruiting (except of course "bigs" :rolleyes:).

It may hurt a little in the south. There won't be annual trips to FL, TX, LA, TN. Just make it harder to pry players out of those areas.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Personally I can't see it making much difference other than being better games due to playing more completive teams.

What I see as the best recruiting tool is that just about anyone can watch any UConn's women's basketball on TV mostly free.

Reaction Score
I concur with the original posters thoughts about recruiting for both the men and women. UConn did not belong in the AAC with the quality of the teams the exception being possibly UCF. The Big East affords the men to resume traditional competition with schools where the emphasis upon the basketball. In an earlier article in the Courant, the Big East coaches, both men and women welcomed UConn and saw their ability to recruit increase as well with UConn in that league. Wasn't it recently published in the Courant that a men's recruit said it was because of the BE that he committed to UConn. And, I would say, that deep down some of the women's recruit's made that decision as well even though it was not said.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Maya and MoJeff were recruited prior to joining the AAC weren't they? They've been cherry picking elite recruits out of California for a long time. I could be totally wrong, but I don't think where a team plays games is that big of a factor for many recruits. Either they choose to stay close to home, or if they don't it's understood they aren't going to be playing in front of friends and family.

Reaction Score
I think the move to the Big East is absolutely the best possibility for the UConn Women. The only better outcome would be to play in a Power 5 conference, which of course is impossible because of the other sports particularly football.
Geno will continue to schedule all of the best teams in WCBB and recruits will be attracted to that aspect. There will also be the excitement of regional rivalries like Seton Hall. The Big East has more big city schools, which makes for fun road trips for the players, iconic gymnasiums and opportunities for people to see the team. It was fun going to Philly every year to watch them play Temple. The little girls with UConn jerseys Running around watching their heroes.
I’m surprised the Boneyard isn’t ecstatic about this change.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I don’t know if the move to the BE will aid UConn recruiting initially, if the other teams in the conference can all raise their level of play to the point where BE WBB is as formidable as BE MBB, then I think UConn WBB will benefit, particularly when you consider the major media markets that are tied in to the BE, i.e. NYC, Chicago, Philly, DC, etc.

Reaction Score
In today's NY Times is an article suggesting that UConn, especially the men, will benefit from entering the Big East next season. The advantages include playing traditional rivals relatively close to home. There's also the chance to put some of the recent scandal on the men's side behind the Huskies.
What about the women?
"For UConn’s powerhouse women’s basketball program, the change will be more subtle.
'We’re kind of used to being the bad guys everywhere we go,' said Coach Geno Auriemma, whose team is ranked No. 2 in the latest Associated Press Top 25 poll. 'It’s always we’re the team that everybody loves to hate and wants to beat.'
Success for UConn’s women’s team includes a long history in the Big East, including eight national championships while a part of the conference." [For UConn, a Transition Year to the Big East Helps Recruiting]

Will the move help the women as well? I think so, based on the observation of how many athletes prefer to play their college ball where family and friends can see them. It's really hard to pry players out of Texas, for example. The appeal of not having to travel so much as well as the prestige that comes with playing in a more competitive league should also help. Does it look all good to you?

I think the best recruiting tool is winning National Championships...............;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Big East has more big city schools, which makes for fun road trips for the players, iconic gymnasiums and opportunities for people to see the team. It was fun going to Philly every year to watch them play Temple.
Ummm Philly or N'orleans? Philly or FL in Jan/Feb?? Your idea of fun is way different than mine.

Reaction Score
I doubt it will help much. It may hurt a little. But UCONN is UCONN, at least til Geno retires. No matter what conference we are in. They are not going to have too much trouble recruiting (except of course "bigs" :rolleyes:).

It may hurt a little in the south. There won't be annual trips to FL, TX, LA, TN. Just make it harder to pry players out of those areas.
Having lived in TX and now in SC, don't see the move in conferences making any difference in the South or anywhere in US. Unfortunately, women's basketball gets little publicity. Unlike football, conference doesn't matter. UConn women's basketball is a national brand-Geno sets the recruiting strategy where he wants.

Reaction Score
To a southern outsider....UConn's Women's basketball is iconic regardless of which conference they play in.

I'd think that recruits would want to play for the legendary coach and UConn, just like guys wanted to play for Rockne in the 20's.

To me, recruiting for UConn is not affected by whatever conference for which they play. It is UConn,not the conference that attracts,

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Big East will feel more "homey" and will entail a less brutal travel schedule. Madison Square Garden adds lustre to the league. Add to that the fact that the AAC was going nowhere in women's hoops and the change is a big win for the conference and UConn.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's a very big deal for the men's team. Not much of a difference for the women's team. Like, our average conference SOS will go up a bit in most years, but even in this time of greater parity there's still a vast gap between the top 5-10 and the 75th ranked team. The gap between the better mid-majors and P5s remains a good deal larger on the women's side.

Reaction Score
Ummm Philly or N'orleans? Philly or FL in Jan/Feb?? Your idea of fun is way different than mine.
Are we talking about playing basketball? Wow an exciting trip to Florida. Or partying on Bourban Street. A basketball player wants to go to Philly, play in an iconic sweaty rusty gymnasium with a trip to a Cheesesteak restaurant after the game.

Reaction Score
It's a very big deal for the men's team. Not much of a difference for the women's team. Like, our average conference SOS will go up a bit in most years, but even in this time of greater parity there's still a vast gap between the top 5-10 and the 75th ranked team. The gap between the better mid-majors and P5s remains a good deal larger on the women's side.

While it's no big challenge for UConn the BE is significantly better than the AAC and will help UConn's RPI and SOS. That could matter in deciding who gets the higher seed and gets to play in a nearby regional.

Reaction Score
I have no idea but if you take out Muhl and just focus on Paige, deBerry, Mir, Saylor, Edwards, and Piath there are many more games that family and friends can attend in reasonable distances in Big East versus AAC....just saying.

Reaction Score
I have no idea but if you take out Muhl and just focus on Paige, deBerry, Mir, Saylor, Edwards, and Piath there are many more games that family and friends can attend in reasonable distances in Big East versus AAC....just saying.

Don’t think any conference is going to be more convenient for Muhl’s family unless UConn joins the European Union.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are we talking about playing basketball? Wow an exciting trip to Florida. Or partying on Bourban Street. A basketball player wants to go to Philly, play in an iconic sweaty rusty gymnasium with a trip to a Cheesesteak restaurant after the game.
Geno has to be conflicted. Growing up outside Philly and playing his college ball at West Chester, you know he loves a good cheesesteak sandwich. But he will certainly miss those winter trips to play USF when he could bring along his clubs and get in a round of golf with Jose in Tampa.

Reaction Score
Geno has to be conflicted. Growing up outside Philly and playing his college ball at West Chester, you know he loves a good cheesesteak sandwich. But he will certainly miss those winter trips to play USF when he could bring along his clubs and get in a round of golf with Jose in Tampa.
Well Villanova will be on the schedule so Philly trips will keep happening....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Basketball player or not, nobody in their right mind would choose that.

Reaction Score
... Not much of a difference for the women's team. Like, our average conference SOS will go up a bit in most years, ...

While it's no big challenge for UConn the BE is significantly better than the AAC and will help UConn's RPI and SOS. That could matter in deciding who gets the higher seed and gets to play in a nearby regional.

Unfortunately, the OUT OF CONFERENCE SOS most likely will go down as there will be fewer OOC games available to play.

Reaction Score
Seriously? UCONN is UCONN. If a recruit doesn't come to UCONN I can't see how it has anything to do with the conference, at least on the Women's side.. It's UCONN baby. Come and be part of history.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Trips to west and south will be heavy in future OOC schedules. But, the great players will always travel to the Mecca of basketball,

That’s right. Geno can travel anywhere in the country it suits him for recruiting/showcase purposes during the first two months of the season. If he wants to do Florida, Texas, California or the great northwest, he can do it.

I don’t see any negatives with respect to recruiting in moving to the Big East Conference. As another poster recently commented, potential recruits are impressed by a marquee program that wins, has a long track record of preparing players for the WNBA, goes deep in the tournament every year, and wins championships. They are attracted to a coach, not a particular conference. I’m very interested to see who rounds out our class of 2021. Personally I’m pining for Azzi to come aboard. She would be a huge get for UConn.

I never like to look ahead. I’m very excited about the season before us, but I’m also extremely excited about the team Geno will put on the floor next year. Alas, next year will take care of itself. My focus and concerns at the moment is on DePaul. Let’s win THAT game, and look good doing it (the freshmen showing growth and development) without any injury to any of our players.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom