Big East Prediction thread heading into conference play | The Boneyard

Big East Prediction thread heading into conference play

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I know there are a handful of OOC games left. Either they don't matter (those involving Depaul) or I am assuming the Big East team will win. Records and NET numbers are as of Noon on 12/14.

1) UConn (11-0, 1 NET) - #1 in NET and KenPom. First six weeks could not have gone any better. The team plays great defense and the offensive is light years ahead of last year. The team has depth and should have some comfortable wins in league play, which should keep everyone fresh for a long season. Beyond continual improvement in all areas, UConn also has to focus on two things: 1) Stay sharp every game because it is the League Title game every time UConn walks on the floor this season, and 2) UConn's goals extend beyond a Big East title. Style points matter because UConn needs to come into March prepared to go to the third weekend. The style points don't just matter to UConn, but to the rest of the country too.

2) Xavier (8-3, 42 NET) – 3 close losses to 3 very good opponents. 13 offense in KenPom, which is very good and 75 defense, which is OK. Miller is still washing the Travis Steele off this team, but his starting 5 (Freemantle, Jones, Nunge, Boum, Kunkel) is as good as any starting 5 in the league, including UConn’s. You can see the impact of having a weak coach like Steele develop these players, because Freemantle and Jones play like guys who always rolled over their coach and did whatever they wanted. Miller has to rein these two in, because they both could be really good. Kunkel has improved a lot and plays like much less of an idiot than he did last year. I have always liked Nunge’s game.

The best player on the team is the transfer Boum. He is a fantastic point guard and just a savvy player. It is interesting that guys like this toil in the wilderness, just waiting for an opportunity. There will be more like him in the Transfer Portal era.

The bench is a problem with this team. Claude, Craft and Hunter are OK, not great, but Miller has to figure out a way to get the starters’ minutes down to keep everyone fresh.

Xavier has a good shot at playing on the second weekend of the Tournament if they can address some of these issues.

3) Marquette (8-3, 33 NET) – 19 KenPom Offense, 62 defense. They have played as well as anyone outside of UConn so far, with three close losses to Top 22 NET teams Purdue, Mississippi State and Wisconsin, and a very good blowout win over Baylor. They have 9 guys that contribute meaningful minutes and most of them score, and their offensive efficiency is great, and Jones and Prosper are very good. I love the way this defense pounces on weak passes and transition to offense in a nanosecond. I also like teams that play unusual styles because they are hard to prepare for, especially in March. I have Marquette 3rd because I like Xavier’s starting lineup more. I think Smart is a year away from having a powerhouse.

4) Creighton (6-5, 48 NET) – 30 offense and 32 defense with KenPom. I don't get where those numbers come from for a 6-5 team that has 5 losses in a row. A team can't build a resume off just quality losses. It has to win sometimes. That said, Arizona and Texas will likely have great seasons, and ASU will be pretty good. Maybe Nebraska surprises and BYU turns things around, Arkansas and Texas Tech have good years, and Creighton looks like a team that scheduled tough, and won some and lost some.

With Kalkbrenner, this is at least the fourth best team in the league. I can’t tell if Nembhard plays out of control all the time or he is playing this way because Kalk is out. Kaluma is overrated. Scheierman is not quick enough to get open when he is the focus of the defense, but with Kalk on the court, or anyone down low, Scheierman will get a lot of open looks. I like King, and McDermott should play King and Kalk together because Kalk can pop out and shoot 3’s. The bench is pretty bad. The biggest challenge is that this team doesn't seem to have that killer instinct that a team needs to go from being pretty good to beating top teams. Creighton is 1-4 in games that were within a possession in the last 2 minutes. Turn that number around, and we are having a very different discussion about Creighton.

Another problem with this team is the 5 game losing streak. Turning that around is a huge coaching challenge. I do think Creighton could go on a run if they can somehow make the tournament.

5) St. Johns (10-1, 69 NET) – St. Johns should have scheduled better. 5 games against teams outside the top 300 is just bad scheduling. Syracuse being terrible wasn’t their fault, but Florida State is a must win now. This will hurt their seeding. Their only loss was to an Iowa State team that got some serious home cooking from the officials.

I like the starting 5. Jones is very good, and Curbelo, Alexander, Soriano and Mathis is a good starting lineup. It is hard to play Anderson’s style without going to the bench more, which probably means the bench is not that good since Anderson is not using them. KenPom AdjD is 33, which is good. The advanced defensive and offensive stats are all solid. Stylistically, I think they overdo it on penetration. Sometimes an open jumper is a good shot, and they got to get defenses to leave the paint. Iowa State had at least 3 defenders with a foot in the paint during most of that game. You don’t expect to see that in D1 men’s basketball.

6) Villanova (5-5, 112 NET) – 5 losses is a problem, especially because some of those losses were to mediocre opponents. 3 of the losses (Temple, Oregon, Portland) were to teams that already have 5 losses themselves. One positive is that KenPom has them with the 12th most efficient offense, and that is with Whitmore only playing 3 games. It is Villanova, so they have some players that can shoot, but the advanced defense stats are pretty bad, with Dixon, Daniels, Arcidiacono and Armstrong all under water on Defense plus/minus. The defensive eFG of 53% is 269 in D1 per KenPom. That is a terrible number. It is hard to pin down exactly what it is, but Neptune reminds me of Travis Steele. He doesn’t project the attitude or behavior of a big time coach. He looks scared on the sidelines, and his players have to see it. Defense is about technique and energy, and confidence, and Villanova’s defensive stats are terrible against mediocre competition. The team doesn’t look like they think they will win.

This team has talent and might shoot its way to a few nice wins, but it has to stop teams or it will go .500 or worse in Big East play and be struggling to make the NIT.

7) Seton Hall (5-4, 90 NET) – They pulled off a miracle win against Memphis and won a rock fight with Rutgers. They got blown out by Iowa, Oklahoma and Kansas, which hurts their computer rankings.

The Hall is the mirror image of Villanova, with good defense (33 in KenPom) and bad offense (113). Watching this team play defense, they are ferocious without fouling. They have great technique and never let up, even off the ball. On offense, they are a mess. How many long contested pullups did they take against Rutgers? 15? That is a lot of wasted possessions against a P6 opponent. They don’t pass the ball well, and their drives are suicide missions into the teeth of the defense.

Holloway is building a mid-major program in the Big East, and it won’t be successful. He can’t play small ball with this team. Richmond, Dawes, Harris and Odukale are taking a lot of shots and they suck at shooting, especially with all the contested shots they take. Holloway needs to implement a traditional low post offense because Samuel, Jackson and Davis are three of the best players on his team, but they are not outside shooters and they are not getting the ball enough. He also needs to turn off the green light on some of the guards' shots.

8) Butler (8-3, 51 NET) – 61 offense, 78 defense, which feels about right. Matta has brought in two transfers, Bates and Hunter, that were needed, because Jordan didn’t leave a lot to work with. Bates could be a second or third team All-Big East if he got the ball more. He is really good, and I am surprised that NC State let him go. I like Taylor. Harris and Lukosius are OK. The bench is not great, and Matta barely uses it at all. He hasn’t coached in a while, and this is how a lot of coaches used to run their teams, but this won’t work for a whole season anymore. Someone will go down if Matta keeps overplaying the starting 5, and when that happens, it will take the NIT completely off the table for the Bulldogs. The weird thing is that the deep stats for Thomas or Hughes are not terrible for bench players. Both should be playing over 20 minutes a game.

This is still not a lot of athleticism on this team, and I think they will really struggle against uptemp styles like St. Johns.

9) Providence (8-3, 100) – Their O/D efficiency numbers (40/112) are not bad, but that doesn’t tell the whole story considering the weak schedule they played. Cooley has been building his teams the last couple of years off mid-major transfers and guys that couldn’t cut it on major conference rosters. He got lucky last year, but this year’s team looks like a team built off mid-major transfers and guys that couldn’t cut it on major conference rosters. PC has played two major conference opponents, and neither game was close, and TCU and Miami are not powerhouses. 7 of their wins are over teams outside the Top 270 in NET. PC’s best win is a 1 point win over Rider. This preseason schedule shouts of a team about to get killed in conference.

Bynum is the only guy that has proven it against good competition, but he seems to have declined dramatically this season. The rest of the team didn’t have much resume coming in and is padding stats against bad opponents. Hopkins or Croswell may be good, or maybe they are the best players on a bottom P6 conference squad and someone has to score.

The only reason PC is even this high is because Cooley is a good coach that squeezes every win out of whatever talent he has, but this may be the least talented roster in the Big East.

10) Depaul (6-4, 143) – O/D is 63/154. This is a mid-major team in the Big East. Jones was a huge loss, and the guys that were brought in are decent, but not good enough to make much noise in the conference. Johnson returns and is the leading scorer. Gibson is a high volume shooter. Neither suck, but there isn't a guy on this roster that I look at and think "I really wish UConn had THAT guy". They are a surprisingly poor rebounding team for one that has a lot of size. I do like the way this team plays, which is why I am predicting a team this bad to get 4 wins in conference. I think they will surprise a couple of times.

11) Georgetown (5-6, 245) – Everything about this team is bad, so there is not point in diving into the deep stats. The only reason I don’t predict them to go winless is that Spears and Wahab are not bad, and the overall starting lineup is not terrible. They should get lucky once or twice and beat someone.

Projection of Big East records:

UConn 18-2
Xavier 16-4
Marquette 15-5
Creighton 14-6
St. Johns 11-9
Villanova 10-10
Seton Hall 8-12
Butler 8-12
Providence 5-15
Depaul 4-16
Georgetown 1-19

The Top 5 would go to the NCAA and Villanova and Butler would go to the NIT.

Reaction Score
i dont see 5 teams making the tourney. maybe 4 like in 2021 and that was only b/c Gtown won the BET and got an autobid.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
i dont see 5 teams making the tourney. maybe 4 like in 2021 and that was only b/c Gtown won the BET and got an autobid.

I was on the fence of 4 and 5 teams, but assuming Georgetown wins 1 or 2 games, and DePaul and Providence look bad, someone has to win the rest of the league games.

Reaction Score
That's a lot of work. Great write-up. Maybe the reason there aren't many replies is that I don't think there is much to argue with.
  • I'd have Marquette above Xavier right now. I think MU has looked great whereas X still seems more vulnerable. MU reminds me of a more vintage Villanova team where everyone can score well, if not great. But you said it's a bit of a toss-up and I agree that it could go either way. They are like 2a and 2b.
  • I'd put Butler ahead of Seton Hall. I don't know enough about Providence this year, but I can see them ahead of SHU as well. I'm down on Seton Hall. Great defense, but they are filled with non-scorers that don't run sets. The only positive is that they got it done against two teams (Memphis and Rutgers) that they should've lost to. I also think there is a chance Shaheen loses the team. He's said some rough stuff publicly and it just doesn't seem like a team. He also hasn't recruited well at all so far. I'm a north Jersey guy. I'm surrounded by casual SHU fans (none of whom went to SHU) that are decent guys. But I think that program is in trouble. It's a commuter school, in a nice suburb that doesn't love the school, with mostly middle class alums.
  • There's been a lot of talk about the BE pre-conference struggles. I think the numbers are okay, but I think the way we got the numbers may hurt in the long run. If Villanova and Creighton both move closer to what they were supposed to be, but not all the way, I think we can wind up with a lot of barely over 500 teams that have mediocre resumes because of their out of conference games. I think getting 5 in will be tough unless there is a clear top half that bludgeons the bottom half (not just Georgetown and DePaul). I hope it's 4 and not the middle third beating each other down so only 3 get in.
  • You're right not to predict GTown to go winless, but I don't think they'll be favored in a single game. And Patrick has shown the ability to punch upwards since the weird BET run. They could do the unprecedented (I think) and go 0 fer 2 (years).

Reaction Score
Its well thought out and I like it.

Some of us have a bad history with Nelson's prognostications elsewhere and don't want to tempt fate again ;) .
Only reason I really remember him specifically is that he called me an "obvious troll" after like my second post on the Boneyard. I knew I had arrived. It could be true of course. I've been called worse.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I did a reality check on projections. In this case, the reality check is a cutoff at 50 NET. I stretched to 51 for Butler because I am using a 12/14 NET to project bids in March, so it does not need to be precise.

I use a 50 NET instead of a 40 or 45 because:

A) the computer rankings do not seem as dispositive of at-large bids as they used to be, and the major conference teams seem to get a little benefit of the doubt even if they have slightly weaker NETs,

B) there are some small conference teams with weird NETs that are better than 50 that I expect to drop down over time as they play more games in their lower tier conferences, and

C) The Big East played a TON of games against P6 opponents. The league has played 44 games, with 2 left to go. The other leagues (ACC - 47, Big 12 - 37, Big 10 - 39, SEC - 34, Pac 12 - 23) did not play nearly as many on a per team basis, outside of the Big 12 which was still lower. That means that the Big East's SOS should improve as the season progresses and all those P6 opponents start playing their conference schedules, because their SOS's will improve at that point. I don't expect this to be a huge lift, but I expect a modest improvement of all the Big East NETs as the season progresses.

The Big East has 5 teams with NETs of 51 or better. That is a good back of the envelope check for how many bids the league should get.

MJ1

Reaction Score
I have Nova 13-7 in league play, win 2 in Big East tournament and they will be last 4 in NCAA tournament as they will consider missing key players early in the season.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
  • I'd put Butler ahead of Seton Hall. I don't know enough about Providence this year, but I can see them ahead of SHU as well. I'm down on Seton Hall. Great defense, but they are filled with non-scorers that don't run sets. The only positive is that they got it done against two teams (Memphis and Rutgers) that they should've lost to. I also think there is a chance Shaheen loses the team. He's said some rough stuff publicly and it just doesn't seem like a team. He also hasn't recruited well at all so far. I'm a north Jersey guy. I'm surrounded by casual SHU fans (none of whom went to SHU) that are decent guys. But I think that program is in trouble. It's a commuter school, in a nice suburb that doesn't love the school, with mostly middle class alums.

I didn't know this, but Halloway has some of the hallmarks of a coach in over his head.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
C) The Big East played a TON of games against P6 opponents. The league has played 44 games, with 2 left to go. The other leagues (ACC - 47, Big 12 - 37, Big 10 - 39, SEC - 34, Pac 12 - 23) did not play nearly as many on a per team basis, outside of the Big 12 which was still lower.

These interconference game numbers are through Saturday. I didn't have a better source I could use quickly. Each of the majors has played 2-3 OOC games against P6 opponents since then. The other leagues have a few more OOC games left because their conference slates start after the Big East's, although other than the SEC/Big 12 Challenge, these are just 1 off games here and there.

Back to the number of bids question. The bids have to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is usually the Power 6 Basketball Conferences.

Using the 50 NET cut-off, this is the projected bids by league:

Big 12: 6
Big 10: 8
SEC: 6
ACC: 4
Pac 12: 5
Big East: 5 (includes Butler at 51 for reasons I gave above)

That is 34 bids, or 28 at-large bids between those 6 leagues using my back of the envelope. Last year the P6 schools got 30 at-large bids. Based on the NET, Oklahoma, Penn State, Miami, NC State, Mississippi and Oklahoma State are the only other power schools in the Top 60. That said, it is really hard to get much past the 50th percentile from a conference because by definition the next teams after the median would have losing conference records.

Every league has the same zero-sum issue with bids at this point in the season. For one team to improve its at-large resume, another conference team's at-large resume needs to get worse. In the case of my projection in the first post, I think St. Johns will win a sufficient number of games to move their NET and KenPom numbers up, and Butler will lose enough games to go down. Zero sum.

Reaction Score
Every league has the same zero-sum issue with bids at this point in the season. For one team to improve its at-large resume, another conference team's at-large resume needs to get worse. In the case of my projection in the first post, I think St. Johns will win a sufficient number of games to move their NET and KenPom numbers up, and Butler will lose enough games to go down. Zero sum.
Could argue this is an edge case, but it isn't necessarily zero sum as the field of 68 is an arbitrary cutoff, so a team currently well in the tourney can drop to a team not on the bubble today that gets them over the edge. An example I can think of is Marquette beating Villanova twice last season. For this year, that team would be UConn that would have to drop both games to a Nova or Seton Hall that could dramatically improve their chances of making the tourney without risking UConn's chance (assuming continuing to play at a high level in most games).

Reaction Score
Could argue this is an edge case, but it isn't necessarily zero sum as the field of 68 is an arbitrary cutoff, so a team currently well in the tourney can drop to a team not on the bubble today that gets them over the edge. An example I can think of is Marquette beating Villanova twice last season. For this year, that team would be UConn that would have to drop both games to a Nova or Seton Hall that could dramatically improve their chances of making the tourney without risking UConn's chance (assuming continuing to play at a high level in most games).
It's still zero sum, but not necessarily for bids. Nova probably lost a seedline with those 2 losses, which 2 to 1 is pretty big.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of this, but I think another way to look at it is how many wins (factoring in SOS) would be needed to secure an NCAAT bid (let's assume UConn is a lock).

St. John's: 20 wins (10-10 in the Big East). Their schedule ended up being worse than expected thanks to Syracuse and Florida State.

Butler: 18 wins (10-10 in the Big East). Difficult schedule and no bad losses.

Marquette: 18 wins (10-10 in the Big East). See Butler.

Providence: 20 wins (12-8 in the Big East). Very week schedule and no good wins.

Xavier: 18 wins (10-10 in the Big East). See Butler and Marquette.

Seton Hall: 19 wins (12-8 in the Big East). Decent schedule but a bad loss to Siena.

Creighton: 18 wins (12-8 in the Big East). Great schedule but slipped on two banana peels.

Villanova: 19 wins (13-7 in the Big East). Solid schedule but a few bad losses.

These cases above where the team is 10-10 assumes that they will play in the 6/11 game. Winning that game is a must and doesn't include in their total wins. I didn't include DePaul or Georgetown because we are not fooling ourselves.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Are you arguing that if the top teams don't go undefeated it is helping teams in the middle of the league? Sure, whatever. Actually, the default is that if the teams at the top go undefeated, it hurts the teams in the middle. The top teams are going to lose a few games, if history is any guide (which it is).

It is a zero-sum game except at the margins. The Big 10 is not getting 10 bids or 6 bids this year. It is probably getting 8, give or take 1, which with most leagues will not be giving or taking.

Last edited:

shizzle787

Reaction Score
My own predictions:

1. UConn 17-3
2. Creighton 15-5
3. Xavier 13-7
4. Villanova 13-7
5. St. John's 11-9
6. Marquette 11-9
7. Providence 9-11
8. Seton Hall 7-13
9. Butler 7-13
10. DePaul 4-16
11. Georgetown 3-17

Believe it or not, we would sneak six in if this happens.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
My own predictions:

1. UConn 17-3
2. Creighton 15-5
3. Xavier 13-7
4. Villanova 13-7
5. St. John's 11-9
6. Marquette 11-9
7. Providence 9-11
8. Seton Hall 7-13
9. Butler 7-13
10. DePaul 4-16
11. Georgetown 3-17

Believe it or not, we would sneak six in if this happens.

I disagree on a few of those, but you are entitled to your opinion.

You are wrong about Georgetown. There is no way Georgetown is winning 3 league games. They are that bad.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I disagree on a few of those, but you are entitled to your opinion.

You are wrong about Georgetown. There is no way Georgetown is winning 3 league games. They are that bad.
They are horrible, but I can see them splitting with DePaul and taking down a Seton Hall, Butler, or Providence at home. It's harder to go 1-19 than 3-17. You almost luck into a couple wins. Last year was atrocious but I don't think they will be able to repeat it even if they try.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I thought my most provocative prediction was Providence going 5-15. I am a little surprised there has not been much of a reaction to it.

I think Providence just sucks this year.

Reaction Score
. I also think there is a chance Shaheen loses the team. He's said some rough stuff publicly and it just doesn't seem like a team. He also hasn't recruited well at all so far
IDK what rough stuff he's said but I think he did a pretty good job recruiting seeing as how he got the job last april and only had about 6 months before the season started...he brought in a couple pretty sought after transfers that just haven't performed well and he also had to re-recruit the current guys like Harris, Richmond and samuel.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I thought my most provocative prediction was Providence going 5-15. I am a little surprised there has not been much of a reaction to it.

I think Providence just sucks this year.
I think that nobody would be too bothered if this happened, so that it doesn't seem worth any effort to mount a counterposition.

"Yeah, I'd be OK with that" outweighs, "I think they're better than that."

Also, I mean it as much more than a backhanded compliment to say that your original post and considered follow-ups are so good that they form the basis for my disappointment (voiced elsewhere) with your slippery shifting of standards for evaluating conferences, as you did by bringing up the SEC to rebuke an unsophisticated poster's 'down year' comment about the Big East.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ultimately, I think Villanova, now healthy, will be much better than they have been. Borrowed some and adjusted results, to avoid doing math.

1. UConn 17-3
2. Villanova 15-5
3. Creighton 13-7
4. Xavier 13-7
5. Marquette 11-9
6. St. John's 10-10
7. Providence 9-11
8. Seton Hall 8-12
9. Butler 7-13
10. DePaul 4-16
11. Georgetown 2-18

Reaction Score
1. UConn
2. Xavier
3. Creighton
4. Marquette
5. Villanova
6. Butler
7. St. John’s
8. Seton Hall
9. Providence
10. Depaul
11. Gtown

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
All great write ups
Love the varying opinions
My insight is that nobody in this league loses less than 4 conference games. Injuries will bite some teams and just the pressure of winning in the NBE will take it's mental and physical toll.
I honestly feel that St Johns will be the surprise team due to their style is hard to coach against and there will be games when they will steamroll teams with relentless tenacity and if they are hitting their outside shots - watch out.
Marquette is a team that will suffer if hit by injuries, especially their bigs, but if healthy they will finish in the top 4. Same holds true for Butler. Nova will not have a typical Nova year and will struggle to make the NCAAs, the post Jay blues really show. Creighton is not the Creighton the "experts" predicted they were in the preseason.
Providence is a mess and Cooley is losing his head over this team.
Xavier might be good, but because Sean Miller is the coach, I hope they implode
Im in the minority who feels that Holloway is over his head at the Hall - loved him as a player and he will mold this team into a winner - but it may take a few seasons.
Depaul and Gtown - both will win games but anything above 3 will be icing on the cake.
There is a distinct top 6 and a bottom 5 this season.
LET the FUN begin!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom