Big East - NBC 6 Year Deal Almost Done | The Boneyard

Big East - NBC 6 Year Deal Almost Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
By the way, if anyone in "the know" could slap down when the contracts of the bigger conferences expire, that would help me put this 6-year contract into perspective (I know that the ACC doesn't re-up for quite some time). Well, it seems pretty clear to me what has to be done now;

1) Dominate this conference
2) Hope that we play well enough to get onto the main NBC channel as much as possible
3) Either make it so that the contract 6 years from now looks a heck of a lot better or maybe even find ourselves somewhere else 6 years from now.

Short-term pain hopefully becomes long-term gain...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I am waiting for the BCS top 4 conferences to leave the NCAA and officially put us in the minor leagues. Then this will all make sense.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I hope they don't match. ESPN.

It's funny; I keep going back and forth about that. I think that the hoops being on ESPN is a better deal, especially with the amount of weekday games that would not be on the main NBC channel (due to regular programming). However, I'm thinking that the only thing that makes this 2 million per year contract even marginally palatable is getting the chance to have at least one game (or more) for the football team on the main NBC channel, preferably in a double header with a ND game in order to attract more viewers.

Who knows. Both have pros and cons, although my distaste for ESPN hasn't gone away overnight. I guess we'll see if they offer 20 million and 1 dollar...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This contract would be a rounding error for ESPN.

I agree, and it makes me think that ESPN almost certainly will bid marginally higher and take the Big East on the cheap. If you were a betting man, who do you think ends up with the contract?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
At 20 million ESPN keeps it for Wednesday night football programming. It's better than the MAC or Sun Belt.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
As I understand it, ESPN has the right to match the offer - there's no bidding war out there.

Having nothing to go on, I'm guessing that ESPN passes on the deal and completes what they set out to do.

Reaction Score
At 20 million ESPN keeps it for Wednesday night football programming. It's better than the MAC or Sun Belt.

Wouldn't days of the week the games air be part of the contract and part of the match that needs to be made? The "promotion" as well could be part of the contract. I assume if NBC really wants the Big East they would at least try to make it painful for ESPN to match.

There may be some details that make this better than it seems. There is no way UCONN is only getting 2 million for all of its programming.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Fecundity. Whelp, let's move on:

Swallow hard, take the $2m/year, add the exit fee cash and build a winner. Get all the TV exposure we can, run this new neighborhood for the next six years, get into the AAU and let the chips fall where they may.

UConn's future success is in our hands now - from Susan/Warde right down to us Plebes here in the 'Yard. No one else is gonna help us but us.

When the ink is dry on this puppy, whine time is officially over...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
If that's Aresco's version of damage control then UConn is absolutely screwed.

BE for football only. C7 for basketball if they let that happen. The gals might be a nice add there to work an SNY exception. Non-revenue sports where they best fit.

I expect the gals will be back on Public Television along with the guys if they stay in the NNBE. The SNY women's deal is 4 years. The first year they will get what they payed for. After that?

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Having nothing to go on, I'm guessing that ESPN passes on the deal and completes what they set out to do.

I don't understand this. What about Tulane Sports radio do they find unappealing? Tulane is adding UConn and Cincy to their radio schedule. Isn't that enough to boost Tulane onto Tier 3 cable anyway?

Then there's the two programs with the death penalty---SMU and Tulsa.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If that's Aresco's version of damage control then UConn is absolutely screwed.

BE for football only. C7 for basketball if they let that happen. The gals might be a nice add there to work an SNY exception. Non-revenue sports where they best fit.

I expect the gals will be back on Public Television along with the guys if they stay in the NNBE. The SNY women's deal is 4 years. The first year they will get what they payed for. After that?

1) Nobody is bidding more, and the only truly valuable properties left are UConn and Cincy.
2) BE for "football only" will not happen. Please allow that thought to leave your mind so that you can find inner peace.
3) The gals will be fine.
4) SNY will be fine, because the gals' fans watch regardless of opponent, and because UConn gals schedule the top 10 teams in the country every year anyways, irrespective of conference affiliation.

Reaction Score
Wait...the way I read it, it will pay members (each team) $20 million per year. No???

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
By the way, let me pre-emptively strike against people commenting on my last post where I said that UConn and Cincy are the only two valuable properties left. I'm saying that in comparison to the "Power 5" Conferences. USF, UCF, etc., bring decent value to varying levels but the headliners are UConn and Cincy...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Wait...the way I read it, it will pay members (each team) $20 million per year. No???

It was poorly worded. Further in the AP article, they state the 2 million per year per team...

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Haha. I read it the same at first then later I'm the article states $2 mil per team. Ugh!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I trust Aresco's resignation will come within 72 hours.

Thank goodness we got a TV guy!

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
Who has to approve this deal? The university presidents?

How a UConn administrator could possibly approve the signing of this deal and not be breaching some kind of fiduciary duty alludes me.

duck this "deal"

Reaction Score
Reaction from Tulane, shoot, can't believe were getting two million a year : ).
Reaction from UConn, shoot, can't believe were getting two million a year :(.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Who has to approve this deal? The university presidents?

How a UConn administrator could possibly approve the signing of this deal and not be breaching some kind of fiduciary duty alludes me.

duck this "deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104