Big East Media Day | The Boneyard

Big East Media Day

Reaction Score
Not a single player on the all-big east first team?

Remember That Israel Adesanya GIF by UFC

Reaction Score
I actually don't think UConn at #3 is that absurd because the top-three of the Big East should be in the top-ten all season, but it's definitely bulletin board material.

The big question, though: Georgetown at 8???
The point totals do not put UConn in a clear top 3 though. Barely beat out Nova. Preseason rankings mean nothing but this is surprising

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I actually don't think UConn at #3 is that absurd because the top-three of the Big East should be in the top-ten all season, but it's definitely bulletin board material.

The big question, though: Georgetown at 8???
Did Georgetown have a good off-season bringing in talent? I honestly have no clue but it looked like they lost a few starters from last year. Primo and Akok off the top of my head.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the distance between UConn and Creighton is absurd. I can understand Marquette #1. I don't understand Creighton with first place votes. We should be in a virtual tie with them, with Villanova a distant 4th.

That said, we lost a lot. It's not clear if we replaced it. Karaban is too far down the list and Newton should be honorable mention for sure. Clingan vs Soriano is an interesting case.

Reaction Score
Did Georgetown have a good off-season bringing in talent? I honestly have no clue but it looked like they lost a few starters from last year. Primo and Akok off the top of my head.
They didn't. Here's their roster.

Screen Shot 2023-10-24 at 8.37.24 AM.png
And Massoud is injured on his shooting hand and should be back around Christmas.

Epps (Illinois), Styles (UNC), Cook (Fairfield) and Brumbaugh (Texas) are the transfers.

I really liked Cook at Fairfield. Savvy undersized center, but a weak defender.

Reaction Score
Haven’t had great regular seasons as of yet so no biggie. There’s some questionable names and missing names but again, lots to prove. Winning a NC the year prior doesn’t entitle our guys anything but gut feeling is they will go out and change some minds!

Reaction Score
They didn't. Here's their roster.

View attachment 92425 And Massoud is injured on his shooting hand and should be back around Christmas.

Epps (Illinois), Styles (UNC), Cook (Fairfield) and Brumbaugh (Texas) are the transfers.

I really liked Cook at Fairfield. Savvy undersized center, but a weak defender.

But c’mon their biggest addition is Cooley. I mean that’s worth a lot as the PC faithful.

Reaction Score
That’s fair. We lost a lot and will be relying heavily on freshman for bench depth. Too many question marks, but I do think that DC eats Kalkbrenner’s lunch.

Reaction Score
I agree it is mostly meaningless, on the one hand.

HOWEVER... you have to know that Danny will use this as motivation, both for himself and the team. Win the Natty in dominant fashion and come back and only get voted a distant 3rd place in conference for the following year? Yeah, we lost a lot for sure... but we also have a potential All-American center; a point guard who got a double-double in the championship game, no less; a stretch 4 who amazingly continues to be underrated despite the fact he improved dramatically on D during the year, has already shown the clutch gene in spades AND will most likely make the huge frosh to soph leap; A vastly improved athletic freak in Samson Johnson; a perfect fit off guard in Cam Spencer, maybe the best freshman we have ever had (and this is saying something) in Castle and oodles of potential talent on the bench?...

Oh, and arguably the best head coach and staff in the entire country.

All I can say is... "Thank you Big East coaches!!!"

As if Danny needed any further motivation. He didn't, but we'll take it. :D

GAME ON!

Reaction Score
What are the odds there are two Huskies on the post season All Big East First Team?

Not great, despite how good Clingan, Karaban, Newton and Castle are...

The Big East is loaded this year. We will be hard-pressed to have one guy on there as each of these 4 all have stiff competition at their respective positions, and Danny will not look to have any one guy play over 30 minutes like some other coaches will with their stars. He knows he hit on the "championship formula" last year and I do not see any one guy on our team playing consistently more than 30 minutes a game other than maybe Karaban.

Having said all of this, if we do get 2 on the first team..... wooooooo baby we will have had a great regular season!

Definitely is awesome that the 2023-2024 season is now upon us.

Reaction Score
Freemantle out for the year but honorable mention? Really? Donovan Clingan listed by The Almanac as the 5th best player in the country, (ahead of Kolek), is second team Big East? Really? Newton as a 5th year senior with multiple triple doubles and a huge championship run can't get an honorable mention? I'm not surprised by the order but thought we would get at least 1 first place vote. I must say that the All Big East teams have more excellent talent than most years. If you are first team this year, you beat out a lot of quality players.

Donovan will win mvp in the end.

Reaction Score
Soriano has excellent box score and simple advanced stats, but his on/off and team impact stats (RAPM, BPR) are much, much worse. Their defense was way worse with him on the court last season.
I can see Kalkbrenner and I like Soriano’s game but if you are going to have two centers how is the second one not Donovan?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Welcome to being the hated team in the conference. If Clingan was on Seton Hall or Xavier there's no question he would be first team. You can say the same thing for any other program that was coming off of a national championship with the level of talent we have.

Reaction Score
The Almanac has 4 centers as First team All American and Donovan on the second team. In Top 100 Players, Kolek is ranked #6 behind Donovan at #5 but I guess they didn't want 5 centers on the first team. The coaches Poll in the Almanac lists Clingan as the best pro prospect in the league. FWIW: They pick Newcomer of the Year rather than Freshman and give it to Dayvion McKnight of Xavier who I guess I better read up on. Almanac team predictions are almost exact to Coaches today.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom