Big East Final Standings | The Boneyard

Big East Final Standings

Reaction Score
UConn has clinched first place in the Big East. I think Villanova has the best chance of finishing second: they have 3 games remaining, against the bottom 3 of the league. Marquette is out of consideration for the NCAA. Depaul and Creigton will probably make the NCAAs/. So I think the final standings will be UConn, Villanova, Creighton/Depaul (they play each other in the final week). Marquette will almost certainly end up in fifth place in the league. Now it's possible only three teams from the BE will be dancing, but I think it's likely those four.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I would like to see DePaul and Nova finish 2nd and 3rd. Don't care which order. This way UConn won't face them until the final game of the Big East Tournament. I think DePaul and Nova would have the best chance to pull off an upse and win the Big East Championship.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UConn has clinched first place in the Big East. I think Villanova has the best chance of finishing second: they have 3 games remaining, against the bottom 3 of the league. Marquette is out of consideration for the NCAA. Depaul and Creigton will probably make the NCAAs/. So I think the final standings will be UConn, Villanova, Creighton/Depaul (they play each other in the final week). Marquette will almost certainly end up in fifth place in the league. Now it's possible only three teams from the BE will be dancing, but I think it's likely those four.
I agree with you - but for some reason Creme has 'Nova out of the 68 teams at the moment. I'm guessing 'Nova's net ranking is not high enough. Having said that, this is one of those years where I think they need to take a hard look at logic.

Villanova lost many of their games missing their best player for a month or so. They got her back, came out and beat UCONN, and have also recently beaten DePaul. they are currently ranked 31 (also receiving votes), and will likely be 2nd in the BE at the end of the season.

They did beat Oregon State back when thgey were ranked and also beat UCONN as well. They do have some fairly bad losses (Temple, Providence), and recently to Seton Hall, which is unfortunate, but still...

It's insane to me that announcers are still talking about teams like Alabama (15-11, 5-9) and aTm (14-12, 4-10) as possible NCAA teams. Frankly I don't think Kentucky, Missouri, or Mississippi state belong in the big dance either. I don't care how great the NCAA feels the SEC is.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would like to see DePaul and Nova finish 2nd and 3rd. Don't care which order. This way UConn won't face them until the final game of the Big East Tournament. I think DePaul and Nova would have the best chance to pull off an upse and win the Big East Championship.
I think the Huskies would love to be able to play Villanova again to redeem themselves.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Unless you are watching Fox, you will not hear anyone talk about the Big East. Until they start getting big time recruits, and start making a commitment to womens basketball, UConn will be the only team they will be talking about. Heck, if you watch the games on ESPN, SEC, ACC, no one is even talking about UConn. The other top teams in the BE do have some big wins, but unfortunately, they continue to have more bad losses. They are not consistent, and until DePaul, Villanova, and Marquette step up and prove themselves, the BE will never have more than two or three teams getting in to the tournament. The BE is competitive, but only amongst themselves. Villanova beat us, but who else have they beaten? We have been down this year so far, so unless they can beat another top team, they will not be talked about, let alone making any poll driven list. So, until they start beating some of the better P5 teams, the BE won't get any more respect than what they are getting now, which is, not much.

Reaction Score
Unless you are watching Fox, you will not hear anyone talk about the Big East. Until they start getting big time recruits, and start making a commitment to womens basketball, UConn will be the only team they will be talking about. Heck, if you watch the games on ESPN, SEC, ACC, no one is even talking about UConn. The other top teams in the BE do have some big wins, but unfortunately, they continue to have more bad losses. They are not consistent, and until DePaul, Villanova, and Marquette step up and prove themselves, the BE will never have more than two or three teams getting in to the tournament. The BE is competitive, but only amongst themselves. Villanova beat us, but who else have they beaten? We have been down this year so far, so unless they can beat another top team, they will not be talked about, let alone making any poll driven list. So, until they start beating some of the better P5 teams, the BE won't get any more respect than what they are getting now, which is, not much.
If Bruno were not retiring, I would have thought they had a good chance to take a step up over the next three years with their burgeoning new star player; Aneesah Morrow? She is the real deal! One wonders how she feels about losing her coach. Hopefully, the DePaul AD will be able to find a solid replacement who can nurture her amazing talent and perhaps surround her with some complementary pieces.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The “cellar dwellers” (Georgetown (2-14), Xavier (4-13) and Butler (0-15) would help the Big East WBB Conference gain a measure of respect inside and outside of the conference if they were able to recruit better players and become more competitive, especially in non-conference play. The men’s teams for these 3 programs aren’t doing any better. They are all at the bottom of the conference standings joined by DePaul.

Every conference has their perennial cellar dwellers, but it would be a boon for the Big East if these three could turn their programs around and vie for the conference championship every year, or at worst an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament. A first or second place finish in the WNIT tournament every once in a while wouldn't hurt. Games against these three would be much more interesting and appealing to fans that would be more apt to attend those games if they could consistently play at the level of Creighton (15-4), Villanova (12-4) and Marquette (12-4). Keep hope alive. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Bruno were not retiring, I would have thought they had a good chance to take a step up over the next three years with their burgeoning new star player; Aneesah Morrow? She is the real deal! One wonders how she feels about losing her coach. Hopefully, the DePaul AD will be able to find a solid replacement who can nurture her amazing talent and perhaps surround her with some complementary pieces.
Heaven forbid she transfers :eek: because she didn't come to DePaul to play for the next head coach, whoever he or she maybe. Also, DePaul loses seniors Lexi Held, Sonya Morris and Deja Church after this season. Even if Morrow stays, she's going to need some significant help going forward that does not appear to be on this roster. Needless to say, Morrow would have her choice of programs to transfer to. She would be coveted and welcomed by just about every Division 1 program in WCBB.

Reaction Score
After UCONN.... I think Creighton is a "not so dark
horse" in the BIG EAST. Even if Villanova wins out over
their final three games ( Hoyas, Bulldogs, and Musketeers )
they will "only" end up 15 - 4 in the conference, correct?)
And, if Creighton wins out, beating DePaul !!!, they " control
their destiny to get the # 2 seed, behind # 1 UCONN.
So, a very long shot for BIG EAST to get 4 teams in the dance.
It will all depend on the results of the Conference Tournament
and.... who wins that Creighton / DePaul game. My hunch is that
DePaul swoons (remember last year?) and Creighton continues
their good end of season run. Let the games continue, Go Huskies!
P.S. No more fighting Michigan Men!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He’s not retiring

Reaction Score
Bruno took DePaul as far as he possibly could but there is room for improvement. There are always prospects who don't want to move out of the geography, like an individual school, or are overlooked. Few top mid-western schools except Michigan, Iowa or Iowa State. Marquette and Creighton good but don't have the positive basketball history of DePaul. High energy coach could add 1-2 local top100 players, get 1-2 transfers and win 20 games a season in a weak league and make NCAA's. Easier said than done but very possible to build on top of what Doug has already accomplished at DePaul.

Reaction Score
Sorry, but with 3 games in hand, UConn must still win one of them to win the BE. Were they to lose all 3 (highly unlikely), they would finish 13-4 in the conference (.765). If Creighton wins its remaining game, they will finish 16-4 (.800), and if Villanova wins its remaining 2 games, they will finish 15-4 (.789). So theoretically, UConn could still finish as low as third place in the conference. But they can take care of business with a win tonight.

Reaction Score
If creighton at home beats DePaul they finish 2nd. If they lose, then they probably finish in a 3rd place tie with DePaul. They would have split the season series, and I don’t know what the secondary tie breaker is.

Reaction Score
3-4 against Quad 1 isn’t bad.
The problem for Villanova is one Quad 2 loss and TWO quad 3 losses. That’s the kind of thing that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Reaction Score
'Great' to read Bruno is not retiring. I believe that he has done the best possible with the recruits that he had to work with !

Reaction Score
To be frank-I think Bruno needs to retire. At this point, he has reached his ceiling at DePaul and for as good of a coach as he is, he just can't recruit elite players in an area full of basketball riches. If they can get the right coach in there, I think DePaul could trend up quickly. It's a great university, in a massive city, with a great arena, and some good WBB history.

Reaction Score
To be frank-I think Bruno needs to retire. At this point, he has reached his ceiling at DePaul and for as good of a coach as he is, he just can't recruit elite players in an area full of basketball riches. If they can get the right coach in there, I think DePaul could trend up quickly. It's a great university, in a massive city, with a great arena, and some good WBB history.
He's got the 2nd best program in the BigEast, and it's not like every DePaul program excels. In fact, their MBB team stinks even though it used be a power decades ago. WCBB is the only program that does very well. I think he's overperforming.

Reaction Score
Heaven forbid she transfers :eek: because she didn't come to DePaul to play for the next head coach, whoever he or she maybe. Also, DePaul loses seniors Lexi Held, Sonya Morris and Deja Church after this season. Even if Morrow stays, she's going to need some significant help going forward that does not appear to be on this roster. Needless to say, Morrow would have her choice of programs to transfer to. She would be coveted and welcomed by just about every Division 1 program in WCBB.
I have said this before. Very very unlikely she stays at DePaul. I would be very surprised.

Reaction Score
Morrow would have her choice of programs to transfer to. She would be coveted and welcomed by just about every Division 1 program in WCBB.
Will Morrow transfer to UConn and will Geno take her? She has talent.

Reaction Score
I think the Huskies would love to be able to play Villanova again to redeem themselves.
And I will go to say that they will beat Villanova by 25 points or more just to prove the loss previously was a FLUKE!

Reaction Score
He’s not retiring
That’s great! I’m sorry about that, I thought I had read that he was. I was kind of shocked that he would go after getting a player like Morrow! She has to be one of, if not the very best, players he’s ever had!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
That’s great! I’m sorry about that, I thought I had read that he was. I was kind of shocked that he would go after getting a player like Morrow! She has to be one of, if not the very best, players he’s ever had!
You did read it hear, but it was later corrected by someone that knew that Doug had gotten a contract extension.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I agree with you - but for some reason Creme has 'Nova out of the 68 teams at the moment. I'm guessing 'Nova's net ranking is not high enough. Having said that, this is one of those years where I think they need to take a hard look at logic.

Villanova lost many of their games missing their best player for a month or so. They got her back, came out and beat UCONN, and have also recently beaten DePaul. they are currently ranked 31 (also receiving votes), and will likely be 2nd in the BE at the end of the season.

They did beat Oregon State back when thgey were ranked and also beat UCONN as well. They do have some fairly bad losses (Temple, Providence), and recently to Seton Hall, which is unfortunate, but still...

It's insane to me that announcers are still talking about teams like Alabama (15-11, 5-9) and aTm (14-12, 4-10) as possible NCAA teams. Frankly I don't think Kentucky, Missouri, or Mississippi state belong in the big dance either. I don't care how great the NCAA feels the SEC is.
Missouri DID beat South Carolina.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom