Big East Expansion? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East Expansion?

Reaction Score
Fans are already lukewarm about attending games v. Butler, DePaul, and even what amounted to a decent Creighton team last season. I promise you it would be even worse if UConn welcomed St. Louis to the XL Center or Gampel. Don't overthink this. The only school that could move up conferences to the Big East that moves the needle is Gonzaga.

Any other school suggested would be a bad choice and isn't happening anyway since it won't enhance the TV deal.
Half the identity is as you described. The other half is clearly Midwest: Chicago, Cincinatti, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha, and perhaps St. Louis. Or Virginia. Or North Carolina. It is what it is, not what it used to be.

Yeah. I don’t see it that way Kolumbo. We may have those schools in the Big East, but when most college basketball fans think Big East, they think UConn, Nova, St John’s, Georgetown and MSG.

I have no issue with the Midwest schools we already have, but adding more seems totally unnecessary. There is no one worth adding.

Reaction Score
Unless the networks force a need for more inventory (games) to the point where they are willing to pay each school more than they are currently getting, there is little to no value in adding a middling school like St. Louis. Particularly when the addition means you could be giving up a marketable second matchup between UConn and Creighton or UConn and Marquette to facilitate the game(s) with St. Louis.

Reaction Score
It's been posted in an Alunmi thread that UCONN's endowment is $779 million. It's showing $799 million. That's a pretty big jump compared to the sub-$500 mill I'm used to seeing.

1652725657460.png

Reaction Score
It's been posted in an Alunmi thread that UCONN's endowment is $779 million. It's showing $799 million. That's a pretty big jump compared to the sub-$500 mill I'm used to seeing.

View attachment 76428

The link shows $602 million not $799. so no idea where that is coming from. Still a nice jump from It was valued at $476 million last year.

The $799 figure was updated on wiki a couple weeks ago so it is possible someone from the university jumped in and modified it to show the 2022 number before the annual report is published. but I don't see any sourcing for it (yet).

If it is $799 now, that is a near doubling of the endowment in 2 years which would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Reaction Score
The link shows $602 million not $799. so no idea where that is coming from. Still a nice jump from It was valued at $476 million last year.

The $799 figure was updated on wiki a couple weeks ago so it is possible someone from the university jumped in and modified it to show the 2022 number before the annual report is published. but I don't see any sourcing for it (yet).

If it is $799 now, that is a near doubling of the endowment in 2 years which would be a tremendous accomplishment.
All the university endowment funds ( law, medical , etc) were recently merged into one account.

Reaction Score

Per the UConn 2000 report dated January 2022 to state legislature. The UConn Foundation has raised $64 million in the first months of Fiscal Year 2022. That’s over 2/3 of the amount ($91 million) raised in FY 2021. FY 2022 donations probably will be the most ever raised.

“For the first six months of Fiscal Year 2022, the Foundation raised $64 million in new gifts and commitments, $21 million designated to endowed accounts and $43 million to restricted.
• Eversource Energy Service Company $13.6 to support the Eversource Energy Center
•Mr. Peter J. Werth, Jr. ‘15 $7.5 million to support the Peter J. Werth Institute
• Mr. Gregory M. Susla, PHARM ’80 $2 million to support the School of Pharmacy
• Bank of America $2 million to support the Dodd Center”

Reaction Score
Maybe better question is what Big East team wants to leave
UConn, please say UConn! Especially if the add is St Louis or VCU. Nothing says big time like adding mid-majors. Maybe they’ll be as successful as Butler or (gag) DePaul.

The New Big East should just say no to expansion unless it is an existing major program in the exiting league footprint. And since none of them are coming, just say no.

And we ain’t getting double our current payout, either. Maybe we get 6-6.5 million, outside we get $7, but with the only true national power losing its coach, it isn’t the best of times to be renegotiating a media deal. It is a bunch of wannabes at this point. St Johns in the Top 25, LOL!

Reaction Score
If you really want to add some spice to conference realignment discussion, there is a school of thought that suggests the ACC will eventually get carved up by the SEC and the Big 10, leaving some stragglers that could be Big East targets as football independents. That might be wishful thinking, but Wake Forest and BC would be a better long term play than jumping at St. Louis and VCU.

Reaction Score
If you really want to add some spice to conference realignment discussion, there is a school of thought that suggests the ACC will eventually get carved up by the SEC and the Big 10, leaving some stragglers that could be Big East targets as football independents. That might be wishful thinking, but Wake Forest and BC would be a better long term play than jumping at St. Louis and VCU.
I agree with the first part, but I’m doubtful about the second. A more likely scenario is the schools left behind reorganize into their own new all-sports league. I suppose if there were a few more independents, scheduling would be somewhat easier, but it is still tricky. There just isn’t a team that moves the needle out there on the basketball side except Gonzaga, and Gonzaga makes zero sense in ever other way possible. Just say no at this point.

Reaction Score
I agree with the first part, but I’m doubtful about the second. A more likely scenario is the schools left behind reorganize into their own new all-sports league. I suppose if there were a few more independents, scheduling would be somewhat easier, but it is still tricky. There just isn’t a team that moves the needle out there on the basketball side except Gonzaga, and Gonzaga makes zero sense in ever other way possible. Just say no at this point.
I know the Big East is against adding football schools and going back to that model, but it may someday prove to have been a great idea before it’s time. An eastern conference of northeastern and mid Atlantic football schools combined with the Big East basketball schools looks pretty good when you start looking at who will likely need a home again someday.

I would think a school like Syracuse would rather play Big East basketball and then play football against UConn, BC, Wake, NC St, WVU etc. on the football side than just play the realignment rejects in all sports. That would leave Cuse with only a couple of rivalries and once again in a far northern outpost of a more mid Atlantic/southern conference.

Of course, a reinvented ACC could be pretty good for us if it was Cuse, Pitt, WVU, BC, UConn, NC State, Wake, UCF/USF and maybe one or two of Miami, Duke, Cincy, Virginia Tech, FSU or Georgia Tech.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Apparently that would be more than a decade from now with the ACC GOR

Reaction Score
With each passing year the GOR in the ACC becomes less of a deterrent for teams that want to leave or conferences that want to poach them.

Reaction Score
With each passing year the GOR in the ACC becomes less of a deterrent for teams that want to leave or conferences that want to poach them.
Also, if one or more teams leave the ACC there will be room for UConn. I for one feel confident on the future of the football team. No Coach PP, no Diaco, no Randy retread! With some wins UConn team can impress those ACC ADs

Reaction Score
The Football and Basketball Big East would have worked if the right teams were in. You had a bunch of schools that were close and rivalries were set. But Boston College screwed it all up if I remember correctly. If would have been a great league if it were like this.

Basketball -- Boston College; Providence; St. John's; Seton Hall; Villanova; Georgetown; DePaul; Marquette;

Football -- Connecticut; Syracuse; Pittsburgh; Temple; Rutgers; West Virginia; Cincinnati; Maryland

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, Wake Forest would be anyway…
The Football and Basketball Big East would have worked if the right teams were in. You had a bunch of schools that were close and rivalries were set. But Boston College screwed it all up if I remember correctly. If would have been a great league if it were like this.

Basketball -- Boston College; Providence; St. John's; Seton Hall; Villanova; Georgetown; DePaul; Marquette;

Football -- Connecticut; Syracuse; Pittsburgh; Temple; Rutgers; West Virginia; Cincinnati; Maryland
Maryland?

Reaction Score
To get back on topic no matter how we feel about schools, if Fox says bring in Manchester Community College and the new contract makes everyone happy, MCC will be our new rival. Does anyone think any Big school wanted Rutgirls? No the networks did. Now how the networks feel about the schools mentioned in this thread is another story. But they don’t give two hoots about fans thinking that Xyz is the next Butler

CL82

Reaction Score
To get back on topic no matter how we feel about schools, if Fox says bring in Manchester Community College and the new contract makes everyone happy, MCC will be our new rival. Does anyone think any Big school wanted Rutgirls? No the networks did. Now how the networks feel about the schools mentioned in this thread is another story. But they don’t give two hoots about fans thinking that Xyz is the next Butler
I’m not sure that “the networks” really wanted the Big Ten to add Rutgers. The Big Ten wanted to add Rutgers because their presents in the NYCDMA allowed the big 10 network to be on the first tier of cable there at a premium per subscriber price. In addition to that New Jersey’s 9 million population were an added bonus.

It was a smart deal financially, but no one was looking forward to the Rutgers matchups. To this day other B1G fanbases often question the decision. But fans cheer for the action on the field and on the court, that was never what their addition was about.

Reaction Score
I just don't see any adds being what helps the Big East right now. Take all the P5 schools off the board (as much as I'd love Pitt, WV and Cuse coming back... it's never happening again). There's been a pretty good list on this thread of candidates (and others) and reasons why not.

Gonzaga - Eastern Washington isn't East enough (everything else would have been great though).
Temple / Loyola - Temple AAC exit fees and don't want to have shared markets.
VCU / Wichita St - Seem to be trending down a bit due to big name coach leaving (or being forced out)
St Louis - Nice market, not a great team.
UMass - Not much of a market add.
SMU / Memphis - AAC exit fees, becomes an island, despite success (at SMU), probably a football first school.
Iona / Davidson / Belmont similar teams that have recently been strong - bit of a long term risk, buy high, sell low
Vermont / Bonnies / Dayton - great in their leagues, don't have a market, probably not Big East quality year in / out. (Dayton in similar market to Xavier, as well)

Reaction Score
UMass - Not much of a market add.

There are reasons to not want UMASS (too much competition / fear of them becoming good) but their potential television market value blows away everyone else in the field sans Gonzaga.

Reaction Score
There are reasons to not want UMASS (too much competition / fear of them becoming good) but their potential television market value blows away everyone else in the field sans Gonzaga.
TV DMAs don't matter anymore not that they carry the Boston market anyway, but now eyeballs matter and they don't bring much. There is a reason their football program is on the same platform as UConn's olympic sports.

Outside of hockey that AD has performed quite poorly and it has eroded alumni interest in the college athletics from my outsider's view of things.

Sure they could be a "sleeping giant" but you could say that of nearly any program if you upgrade them in conference, it doesn't mean much at end of day since it is a hypothesis. Historically in college athletics these types of bets don't work out (it's once the AAC has tried and failed and doubled down again with it's recent additions).

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Well it would, if anyone in it cared about them. They don’t.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think anyone anywhere fears UMass being too much competition, or fears them being too good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom