Big East expansion exercise approaching 2025… | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Big East expansion exercise approaching 2025…

Reaction Score
I'll have to assume you didn't read my entire post if that's what you got it of it.

I read your entire post, you said we also offered conference history and a history of success, but your initial insinuation as it was written was that we also brought the "Hartford market".

Reaction Score
there's something missing in this entire discussion that came to a head this week:

The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige. Since the AAU's founding, it has "been a grouping of the elite in the American university world," and "[n]ew presidents of nonmember universities often list gaining admission to the AAU as a goal of their administration."

The NY Governor Kathy Hochul raised Stony Brook + Buffalo to the status of FLAGSHIP this week. You may think this has nothing to do with sports. But consider this ... the NYS legislature wouldn't allow SUNY schools to have athletic scholarships until 1988. Suddenly, you have this big state in the middle of all of us getting far more capital and emphasis. Both AAU for quite some time. And nobody was thrilled with little private Syracuse in the middle blowing their horn. Buffalo? An amazing transformation, above and beyond, in the last 10 years under the current president. Stony Brook? Access to NYC on LI with huge push on research funds.

Since I teach at a SUNY (UAlbany), I feel they have demoted Binghamton, Albany etc. But that clearly is not the statement this week. It is a statewide emphasis to raise 2 Universities in every way. Both will grow in enrollment and capital budgeting for decades. You can talk about Duquesne all you want. Today's hoop is certainly relevant. Sports is gonna be part of this NYS push.

Reaction Score
I read your entire post, you said we also offered conference history and a history of success, but your initial insinuation as it was written was that we also brought the "Hartford market"you missed the word "if."

I read your entire post, you said we also offered conference history and a history of success, but your initial insinuation as it was written was that we also brought the "Hartford market".

I think you missed the word "if" in my post. From a fellow Mets fan, no less. :)

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If my choices were Belmont or Duquesne, I'd take Belmont in a heartbeat. If I'm the Big East, I'd take neither.
I wouldn't be surprised if Belmont is A-10 #16 a few years down the line.

Reaction Score
there's something missing in this entire discussion that came to a head this week:

The largest attraction of the AAU for many schools, especially nonmembers, is prestige. Since the AAU's founding, it has "been a grouping of the elite in the American university world," and "[n]ew presidents of nonmember universities often list gaining admission to the AAU as a goal of their administration."

The NY Governor Kathy Hochul raised Stony Brook + Buffalo to the status of FLAGSHIP this week. You may think this has nothing to do with sports. But consider this ... the NYS legislature wouldn't allow SUNY schools to have athletic scholarships until 1988. Suddenly, you have this big state in the middle of all of us getting far more capital and emphasis. Both AAU for quite some time. And nobody was thrilled with little private Syracuse in the middle blowing their horn. Buffalo? An amazing transformation, above and beyond, in the last 10 years under the current president. Stony Brook? Access to NYC on LI with huge push on research funds.

Since I teach at a SUNY (UAlbany), I feel they have demoted Binghamton, Albany etc. But that clearly is not the statement this week. It is a statewide emphasis to raise 2 Universities in every way. Both will grow in enrollment and capital budgeting for decades. You can talk about Duquesne all you want. Today's hoop is certainly relevant. Sports is gonna be part of this NYS push.

Lets go Seawolves!! Flagship of the Empire State!!

I think Stony Brook has a lot of potential to be a better sports school someday as it already has the academic side of things figured out. I just don't know if Long Islanders will ever get behind their college programs. Very few care about local college sports in this region.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what penalty, if any, would UConn incur if it left the NBE?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
30 million at least
17 million to leave the AAC. As a CT taxpayer, should have been put up for a referendum. Even without that 17million the athletic department reported losses of 10 million a year.

Reaction Score
17 million to leave the AAC. As a CT taxpayer, should have been put up for a referendum. Even without that 17million the athletic department reported losses of 10 million a year.
Doesn’t matter. Taxpayers aren’t paying for it.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
30 million at least
Ita been a while since I’ve looked and we’ve talked about it on here many times, but I believe it’s something like $30M in the first five years $15M within the next five and anytime after that $5M.

Reaction Score
Ita been a while since I’ve looked and we’ve talked about it on here many times, but I believe it’s something like $30M in the first five years $15M within the next five and anytime after that $5M.
$30m first 6 years then its $15m years 7 thru 10. $10m after 10.

Reaction Score
Oh stop with the taxpayer nonsense please. UConn generates about $8 in direct income for every $1 the state invests. Not even considering indirect benefits. It should be spun off as a quasi public entity, for sure. It could probably cut costs in so doing and increase efficiency, and increase income but please, the coost to the taxpayers is badly overstated.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter. Taxpayers aren’t paying for it.
Public university supported by taxpayers. When the athletic department publicly reports an operating loss of 10 million dollars a year, who pays for all of that?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Oh stop with the taxpayer nonsense please. UConn generates about $8 in direct income for every $1 the state invests. Not even considering indirect benefits. It should be spun off as a quasi public entity, for sure. It could probably cut costs in so doing and increase efficiency, and increase income but please, the coost to the taxpayers is badly overstated.
And your source? Here is one, the athletic department itself.
The athletic department spent $80.9 million in 2019, and received a $42.3 million subsidy from the university, the highest in the nation. This nearly two-to-one deficit in spending-to-revenue has persisted for several years.

Reaction Score
And your source? Here is one, the athletic department itself.
The athletic department spent $80.9 million in 2019, and received a $42.3 million subsidy from the university, the highest in the nation. This nearly two-to-one deficit in spending-to-revenue has persisted for several years.

So let’s have a referendum on going D3. And while we are at it, how about one on the state snow plowing budget. That is literally money that has no return. As Jasper McLevy said, the good Lord put it there and he will take it away.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know what penalty, if any, would UConn incur if it left the NBE?
UCONN is not leaving the Big East unless it is for a far more lucrative football conference, so the penalties would easily be paid by the new revenue, whether $30 mill, $15 mill, or $10 mill.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Doesn’t matter. Taxpayers aren’t payin

So let’s have a referendum on going D3. And while we are at it, how about one on the state snow plowing budget. That is literally money that has no return. As Jasper McLevy said, the good Lord put it there and he will take it away.
So equating road safety and helping with tax revenue with a recreational product. If a referendum is required for the university to be run fiscally responsible, so fine. There is oversight for state expenses, not enough for sure, for the athletic department not enough. These are tough economic times for taxpayers in CT, the state is losing citizens and businesses, so increasing expenses on fewer sources.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom