Big East expanding? | The Boneyard

Big East expanding?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Val Ackerman’s comment that there is, “No better fit for Gonzaga than the Big East Conference” is an excercise in hyperbole. While adding a program like Gonzaga would certainly elevate BE MBB and, to a lesser degree, BE WBB, the geography is a major concern for BE schools.

The increase in travel costs would be substantial. Presumably, we are not just talking about basketball. I know it’s a bit old fashioned mentioning this. But there is something about “student” athletes repeatedly flying back and forth across 4 time zones during the academic year that just doesn’t seem particularly appropriate for college kids.

Reaction Score
Val Ackerman’s comment that there is, “No better fit for Gonzaga than the Big East Conference” is an excercise in hyperbole. While adding a program like Gonzaga would certainly elevate BE MBB and, to a lesser degree, BE WBB, the geography is a major concern for BE schools.

The increase in travel costs would be substantial. Presumably, we are not just talking about basketball. I know it’s a bit old fashioned mentioning this. But there is something about “student” athletes repeatedly flying back and forth across 4 time zones during the academic year that just doesn’t seem particularly appropriate for college kids.
your statement is one of fact and the basis of common thinking sense, unfortunately, none of those qualities are applicable in today's society, especially concerning politics and sports. Since this is a sports forum I'll leave politics out of the equation although they share the same variable and that's money and the love of it and the insatiable appetite to accumulate more of it at any cost and by any means necessary. Maybe we're just 2 seasoned fans who long for the day of yore, and maybe we're wrong after all there was a time when people thought automobiles replacing horses was akin to armageddon and now we're looking at car that drive themselves and soon will turn into flying automobiles. So maybe student-athletes will evolve as well into some type of AI cyborg. Remember the 6 million man back in the day? That same man is now worth 28 Billion. $$$$$$

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Agree, plus Gonzaga's men's basketball success is not certain to continue after mark few leaves. Then we'd be left with a geographic bad fit that doesn't meaningfulLT contribute to the conference.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score

Alas, this concern didn't prevent Stanford and Cal from joining the ACC. I am not arguing with your concern, just trying to point out the obvious.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Doesn't this come down to a simple comparison of dollars and cents? Presumably the addition of Gonzaga would add to Big East TV ratings and hence TV contracts, and may also have a positive impact on game attendance. Both of these factors would add to the revenue that the Big East schools realize from the conference. So the question boils down to whether these extra revenues do or do not exceed the additional travel costs.

It might be more economical if one or more other West Coast schools could be added to the package. As I recall, the rump of the Pac-12 includes a couple of schools in Washington and Oregon (Washington State and Oregon State?). Maybe they would also be interested in joining the Big East (and becoming independent in football as UConn has done?). That would spread the travel cost (since schools in the East and Midwest could make a single West Coast road trip and play two or three games) and add to the revenue package.

I don't know how the numbers would work out, but the idea shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.

sun

Reaction Score
In July, 2023 it was hinted that VCU could be a candidate to join the Big East since it's not a football school.

There was a thread previously posted about it.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
As I indicated, I’m a bit old fashioned. I remember a time when the Pac-12 was the Pac-8. :oops:
And I remember when every school in the ACC was in a state that actually had shores on the Atlantic Coast. :)

I apologize for the swerve away from the OP, concerning the Big East.

Reaction Score

It's more like an absurdity to say a West Coast program is "no better fit" for an East Coast conference.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

On the flip side, the team could do a west coast trip. Play Gonzaga, Stanford, UCLA, USC, etc. Spend a week or so journeying down the coast...

Also, I think there are teams in the BE that we only play once. Maybe Gonzaga could be one of those. Meaning only traveling out west every other year...

Reaction Score
This is very simple. Have the ACC join the Big East. Then split into three divisions. One all basketball and two for football. This sounds familiar. And add some old school. You have a power conference of 36 teams.

Butler, Creighton, DePaul, Providence, St John’s, Seton Hall, Marquette, Villanova, Xavier and Georgetown, Gonzaga, Notre Dame

Boston College, Connecticut, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, North Carolina, NC State, West Virginia.

Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Florida, Central Florida, Stanford, California, SMU, Tulane, Houston.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
On the flip side, the team could do a west coast trip. Play Gonzaga, Stanford, UCLA, USC, etc. Spend a week or so journeying down the coast...

Also, I think there are teams in the BE that we only play once. Maybe Gonzaga could be one of those. Meaning only traveling out west every other year...
That’s all fine. But how about Gonzaga, who would end up playing almost half their games east of the Mississippi?

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As I indicated, I’m a bit old fashioned. I remember a time when the Pac-12 was the Pac-8. :oops:
And the BIG8 (Big 12), Southwest Conference, ACC, SEC, Big 10 (actually 10 schools), Yankee Conference (all New England state schools).

Reaction Score

This is one of many examples of why many feel the NCAA will go away and eventually there will be 2-3 power conferences. Driven by football, you wonder what will happen to basketball schools like Gonzaga. You have to question if the benefits of joining this league are worth it to schools like Gonzaga and if another reorganization for the power football schools will drive another structure for the rest of us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HungreHu5ky

Top Bottom