Big East Coaching Carousel. What Say You? | The Boneyard

Big East Coaching Carousel. What Say You?

Reaction Score
With some time off until the next tip on Thursday, it is interesting to read the "buzz" on the potential coaching changes in the Big East. St. John's and Georgetown are definites for new hires. Can't see Anderson hanging on. Ewing is toast. Is there a bigger rebuild than the Hoya job? Could there be a shift to "brandname" coaches in the future? Lots of rumors flying. Mike Brey - the old mockturtle himself is seen as a candidate for St. Johns. He has ties to the President from his Duke days. I question this as he seems to like his bourbon a lot. Slick Rick Pitino who is getting it done with the Gaels of Iona is rumored for both St. John's and Georgetown. Another juicy tidbit that is making the rounds is Ed Cooley going to G-town. His daughter goes there. This would be a seismic shift in the Big East coaching landscape. The Friar faithful would set their hair on fire. Would be as bad as the vitriol that was flying around RI on Saturday from the beatdown that the Pirates applied as they raised their colors in the Dunk - oops AMP. Another name coming up is Bobby Hurley Jr. Does he come back east? Does he want to coach against his brother. Some fascinating conjecture to digest as we wait out the next couple of days. What Say You?

Reaction Score
I saw the rumors about Cooley on Reddit somewhere, but I doubt it. Why would he go to a total rebuild?

Looks like Ewing makes 2.6 mill per year, and Cooley is now at 2.2 mill. He has a lifetime pass at Providence and could coach there another 15-20 years if he wants to. Putting out the dumpster fire at Georgetown isn't a guarantee unless you put an ATG coach in there (Pitino).

Also, I didn't realize Cooley was only 53. I thought he was close to 60. Between Hurley, Shaka, and Cooley, the league should have a strong top-end for a while. Shoot, even Mcdermott probably has another decade at Creighton.

Reaction Score
I saw the rumors about Cooley on Reddit somewhere, but I doubt it. Why would he go to a total rebuild?

Looks like Ewing makes 2.6 mill per year, and Cooley is now at 2.2 mill. He has a lifetime pass at Providence and could coach there another 15-20 years if he wants to. Putting out the dumpster fire at Georgetown isn't a guarantee unless you put an ATG coach in there (Pitino).

Also, I didn't realize Cooley was only 53. I thought he was close to 60. Between Hurley, Shaka, and Cooley, the league should have a strong top-end for a while. Shoot, even Mcdermott probably has another decade at Creighton.
Miller too…if he can avoid any NCAA drama

Reaction Score

Because with the portal, Cooley could reload Georgetown in a single offseason. Their talent isn't the issue. Murray, Spears, and Heath are a dynamite guard trio. Their coach just happens to be the worst in D1.

Reaction Score
Because with the portal, Cooley could reload Georgetown in a single offseason. Their talent isn't the issue. Murray, Spears, and Heath are a dynamite guard trio. Their coach just happens to be the worst in D1.

Sure, he could also reload Providence in a single off-season. Unless they want to throw 4 million or so at him, I'm not sure he'd leave the Friars.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I can’t see Cooley, leaving Providence especially for Georgetown. People are taking the fact that his kid goes to Georgetown and running with it. Although, as an employee of the school, he would likely get free tuition. At Georgetown that’s a pretty decent tax free nut. I’ll tell you what would be wild is Cooley to Georgetown and Pitino to back to Providence College. It’s not happening, but it would be an interesting narrative.

My best guess is Brey and Pitino to St. John’s and Georgetown. I’d love to have both of those guys back in the big east. It would really return the conference to being “a coaches league.”

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Gtown and SJU both basically had about a 10 year run in the 80's and otherwise are in a group of 50-60 schools who are occasionally relevant.

The days of these city schools just plucking top talent from the metro area and being nationally relevant passed 25 years ago.

Top talent leaves city schools for prep schools and academies and the those kids no longer feel the need to stay home.

Reaction Score
Georgetown I think could come back to relevance with a good coaching hire, but man do they need to knock it out of the park this cycle. St. John's I have little hope for. Their ceiling feels like competence.

Reaction Score

Cooley makes a lot more than $2.2 million per year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
PC fans would lose their minds. I don’t think they’d be too kind to him

CL82

Reaction Score
Gtown and SJU both basically had about a 10 year run in the 80's and otherwise are in a group of 50-60 schools who are occasionally relevant.

The days of these city schools just plucking top talent from the metro area and being nationally relevant passed 25 years ago.

Top talent leaves city schools for prep schools and academies and the those kids no longer feel the need to stay home.
That’s an interesting observation. Back before the days when every game was either televised or streamed for D1 major programs, I’m sure the notion of being in a place where your folks could easily get to the games might’ve had a little bit more attraction.

Still, Georgetown, in, to a somewhat lesser extent, St. John’s, has brand recognition from the heyday of the Big East. That gives them an advantage over other similar schools.

CL82

Reaction Score
Best estimate I've found is somewhere around $4M per year.

Both Ewing and Cooley make around $4 million per year.

His salaries just a little north of $2.2 million. Where does the rest come from side deals or incentives?

Reaction Score
With some time off until the next tip on Thursday, it is interesting to read the "buzz" on the potential coaching changes in the Big East. St. John's and Georgetown are definites for new hires. Can't see Anderson hanging on. Ewing is toast. Is there a bigger rebuild than the Hoya job? Could there be a shift to "brandname" coaches in the future? Lots of rumors flying. Mike Brey - the old mockturtle himself is seen as a candidate for St. Johns. He has ties to the President from his Duke days. I question this as he seems to like his bourbon a lot. Slick Rick Pitino who is getting it done with the Gaels of Iona is rumored for both St. John's and Georgetown. Another juicy tidbit that is making the rounds is Ed Cooley going to G-town. His daughter goes there. This would be a seismic shift in the Big East coaching landscape. The Friar faithful would set their hair on fire. Would be as bad as the vitriol that was flying around RI on Saturday from the beatdown that the Pirates applied as they raised their colors in the Dunk - oops AMP. Another name coming up is Bobby Hurley Jr. Does he come back east? Does he want to coach against his brother. Some fascinating conjecture to digest as we wait out the next couple of days. What Say You?
This Cooley to Gtown yarn borders on implausible/fantasy. The guy is coaching at his dream job, in his home town, where he is deeply embedded in the community - and he makes good money. It’s simply not happening.

Reaction Score
I can't see Cooley leaving Providence. He wouldn't throw everything away that he has there because his daughter is at another school for a few years.

I think the idea of Pitino to Georgetown is intriguing. He's up there in age and has to be thinking of retiring soon. Get one last hoorah in and right the ship at a classic powerhouse before hanging it up. Georgetown would benefit by getting an immediate boost and notoriety and it sets themselves up with a nice base for a younger go getter.

Reaction Score
Cooley is from Providence. I’d be shocked if he leaves for the Georgetown job. Brey at St. John’s doesn’t seem like a good idea. Mike Anderson didn’t have a lot of success running up and down the floor against better athletes than he could recruit. Brey is an offense-only coach and will have the same issues. I love the idea of Pitino coming back to the Big East. That would be fun.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Put me in the camp with the Cooley builds his fiefdom at Providence. Win 20 games, make NCAA tourney 3 or 4 out of every 5 years, get one or two upsets a season and their fanbase is placated. No expectations for national championships and any BET championship is a few years of good will.

Reaction Score
Cooley makes a lot more than $2.2 million per year.

You're right--I was thinking of his last contract, maybe. Just looked it up and he made 3.5 last year with some incentives, I'm sure. Ewing was a little more, but not much.

Makes it even more unlikely he'll go to G-Town IMO.

Reaction Score
Put me in the camp with the Cooley builds his fiefdom at Providence. Win 20 games, make NCAA tourney 3 or 4 out of every 5 years, get one or two upsets a season and their fanbase is placated. No expectations for national championships and any BET championship is a few years of good will.
And that's just it, Cooley has it made in this regard. The only reason he would leave would be for intrinsic reasons such as going to a place he feels gives him the best chance to make a Final Four or win a title or simply wants to broaden his horizons, but as far as ratio of salary - stress/pressure goes Providence is great for him. He isn't expected to win a title, he is expected to make the NCAAT almost every year and win a game or two every now and then. That would never cut it at schools such as Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, UConn, or Villanova.

Plus as others have said, he is from Providence and he is everyone's favorite father of Providence to all the Friar fans. And in the offseason he loves to golf in Fairfield County from what I heard. If he goes to Georgetown, he will have more pressure to resurrect that program.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Cooley to Georgetown would be shocking. I don't believe it will happen. If it does I will quit Arby's for 2 full years.

Reaction Score
I'd be totally shocked if Cooley left PC for Georgetown.

I also don't see Georgetown hiring Pitino -- it's an academically prestigious institution, and I don't know that they'd want to be associated with him (given his history of inappropriate behavior). On the other hand, St. Johns fits perfectly for Pitino. In fact, if I was a betting man, I'd put money on Pitino going to St. Johns. It fits.

For Georgetown, I think Wes Miller would be a great pick...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom