Big East Coaching Carousel. What Say You? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East Coaching Carousel. What Say You?

Reaction Score
Everyone here is talking about Cooley to Georgetown but I have heard a rumor of him going to notre dame (rumor being unsubstantiated reddit post)

Reaction Score
His salaries just a little north of $2.2 million. Where does the rest come from side deals or incentives?
Not sure since it’s a private institution so the contract isn’t public. Various sources have pulled compensation of $3.2M and $3.5M for the 2020 and 2021 seasons from tax filings. That was before the extension, which presumably bumped him up to around $4M which is in line with a lot of other reasonable comps.

Reaction Score
I think Ewing is a better coach than he's been given credit for. He at least deserves one more year IMO.
Are you being sarcastic or serious? Personally, I love Ewing and want Georgetown basketball to be successful and Ewing to be successful coaching Georgetown, but the hardcore Georgetown fans have had enough of him from what I have read on casualhoya.com and some Washington Post comment sections. And for big fans of Georgetown, but less than hardcore, apathy has set in. Apathy is the worst and is a death knell for a sports program/franchise.

Reaction Score
I think Ewing is a better coach than he's been given credit for. He at least deserves one more year IMO.
Not sure if this is serious or not but he is a truly awful coach. Watching them play, it’s embarrassing how little structure exists. It feels like their entire offense is predicated on taking contested mid-range jumpers.

Reaction Score
This absolutely has to be sarcasm or just a desire for 2 automatic wins for UConn next season. Georgetown has won 13 of 62 games over the past 2 seasons.

Reaction Score
Providence (the city) is Cooley's home. It would take a boatload of cash to move him. And I think his wife has veto power.

I could see Bobby Hurley coming back to Duke rather than any BE school. It will take a little while for Duke to sink but it's likely as not in the next few years.

Georgetown will take an effort to revive. Maryland is the dominate player in the metro area and everyone in the BE and ACC has their mitts in the area. Even with the portal it is a very competitive environment. Then there is the school itself. I wonder if they would be comfortable bringing in a name coach.

Pitino would light up St John's in a New York minute. He is not really the image that a religious school wants to project. But that may not matter. In any case, they should have no problem attracting good candidates.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

First part of your statement may be right. Plenty of coaches who ended up being successful had poor performances in their first head coaching gig. Second part of your statement is ludicrous. Maybe he does better somewhere else but he has to go from Georgetown.

Reaction Score
Providence (the city) is Cooley's home. It would take a boatload of cash to move him. And I think his wife has veto power.

I could see Bobby Hurley coming back to Duke rather than any BE school. It will take a little while for Duke to sink but it's likely as not in the next few years.

Georgetown will take an effort to revive. Maryland is the dominate player in the metro area and everyone in the BE and ACC has their mitts in the area. Even with the portal it is a very competitive environment. Then there is the school itself. I wonder if they would be comfortable bringing in a name coach.

Pitino would light up St John's in a New York minute. He is not really the image that a religious school wants to project. But that may not matter. In any case, they should have no problem attracting good candidates.
Saint Johns would be perfect and they can tell themselves they are laundering Pitinos slime. Would be a perfect fit imo. I could see him coming in and immediately bringing in 5 of the top 60 transfers and immediately competing next year. I hate the guy but I believe Pitino might be the number 1 pure coach left in college basketball.

Reaction Score
Saint Johns would be perfect and they can tell themselves they are laundering Pitinos slime. Would be a perfect fit imo. I could see him coming in and immediately bringing in 5 of the top 60 transfers and immediately competing next year. I hate the guy but I believe Pitino might be the number 1 pure coach left in college basketball.

I agree. But I hate the idea of Pitno putting a dent in our NY recruiting.

Reaction Score
Pitino would light up St John's in a New York minute. He is not really the image that a religious school wants to project.
Pssh, that would be nothing compared to Hugh Freeze being hired at Liberty.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Someone will throw Fudge You money at Cooley and he will have to accept it.

Georgetown can afford the buyout, and Ewing needs to go.

I am surprised that Anderson has not done more at St. Johns. I think that program can succeed with the right coach.

Reaction Score
Do
Gtown and SJU both basically had about a 10 year run in the 80's and otherwise are in a group of 50-60 schools who are occasionally relevant.

The days of these city schools just plucking top talent from the metro area and being nationally relevant passed 25 years ago.

Top talent leaves city schools for prep schools and academies and the those kids no longer feel the need to stay home.
Dont forget that St. John’s was able to give kids a cash stipend when they didn’t have dorms. They had NIL before anyone

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Do

Dont forget that St. John’s was able to give kids a cash stipend when they didn’t have dorms. They had NIL before anyone

Yep. I brought that up in another thread. DePaul was same way too.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If Pitino went near Georgetown, I think John Thompson rolls over in his grave.

Reaction Score
Cooley to GT would be shocking. But I do think he’s at the age where he does need to make the clear decision if he wants to be there for life or are there better places where he could go and have a better chance at a national championship.

Georgetown is the bigger risk, but IMO also gives him a better shot at winning the big game one day. Or, be comfortable in Providence & celebrated to the heavens for your periodic Sweet 16

Reaction Score
For 20 years I have thought Pitino would be perfect for St John's, it would be great for the league and is long
over due.

Gtown is still one of the great basketball brands and a good coach could turn them around fast with the portal.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

Iona's a religious school and seemed to project Pitino's imagine just fine

Reactions: MJ1
Reaction Score
I can’t see Cooley, leaving Providence especially for Georgetown. People are taking the fact that his kid goes to Georgetown and running with it. Although, as an employee of the school, he would likely get free tuition.
His daughter graduates in May.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
One to watch- McDermott. Rumors are that the relationship between him and the Creighton AD may be strained.
He could be an outstanding fit at Notre Dame.

There are also rumors about Mark Jackson and St John's, as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
One to watch- McDermott. Rumors are that the relationship between him and the Creighton AD may be strained.
He could be an outstanding fit at Notre Dame.

There are also rumors about Mark Jackson and St John's, as well.

Interesting idea. Notre Dame is not a historically great job. If you think Brey is good, why didn't he win more there? If you think Brey sucks, why didn't Notre Dame think they could upgrade him?

Creighton only loses Scheierman from the starting lineup, and none of them strike me as sure fire first round picks. Plus, Omaha is probably a big enough city that it can generate some NIL. McDermott may want to stick around another year and wait for a better job. If McDermott does leave, I think Creighton should get Hoiberg. Nebraska is an impossible job, but Hoiberg has shown he can win in the plains and Creighton could be an attractive job for Hoiberg to escape to before the posse gets him midseason next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom