Big East cancels fall Sports. Seriously considering Bubbles for Basketball | The Boneyard

Big East cancels fall Sports. Seriously considering Bubbles for Basketball

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thnk a bubble is a great idea in theory. It has worked for the NBA and WNBA. BUT... college sports is much bigger. Many more teams, and logistically, it would be really hard to do. Not saying it's impossible - I hope they are able to figure it out - each conference would have to create their own bubble for play, then a bubble for the NCAA's.

I can't see a field of 64 for the NCAA's to take place over 3-4 weeks.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I thnk a bubble is a great idea in theory. It has worked for the NBA and WNBA. BUT... college sports is much bigger. Many more teams, and logistically, it would be really hard to do. Not saying it's impossible - I hope they are able to figure it out - each conference would have to create their own bubble for play, then a bubble for the NCAA's.

Again, the NCAA could set a large team field if a vaccine is available and the players are all vaccinated. This is not far fetched for the month of March or even April.

Reaction Score
Again, the NCAA could set a large team field if a vaccine is available and the players are all vaccinated. This is not far fetched for the month of March or even April.
If you're a teenager, are you really going to sign up to be a guinea pig when your odds of dying are relatively low?

Reaction Score
How are they going to go to class in a bubble. Unless all their classes are on line. A bubble is only as good as it's weakest link. All it takes is one player to get infected and it's all over. Do colleges even have the ability to create a bubble invironment that would include the entire league?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
How are they going to go to class in a bubble. Unless all their classes are on line. A bubble is only as good as it's weakest link. All it takes is one player to get infected and it's all over. Do colleges even have the ability to create a bubble environment that would include the entire league?

Except for Lab courses (not likely for most non-science majors), just about any and all classes can be online . The challenge is exams but with Basketball teams having support staff (or assistant coaches) very easy to get proctors etc . I think the biggest hurdle is the economics. I am just glad they are thinking about possibilities.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

The NCAA is going to have to think outside the box this year. Everyone wants to have a tournament this year, even if it's not a full 64 team field. You can't go 2 years without crowning a champion. The NCAA wants to have a tournament, but they have to keep everyone safe. Restrict travel, quarantine all players and their support staff (coaches/team managers) referees and arena workers. Here's a thought...................

Can you see a field of 32 teams over 11-13 days, or a 16 team tournament played over 9 days? A 32 team field would require the first two rounds to be played at 2 "bubbled" sites.

After 2 rounds, the field is now down to 16. This can be pared down to 4 in 3 days. 2-3 days off, then play the FF like you normally do. 1 day off between games. It CAN be done in less than 14 days, less if you don't stagger the first two rounds. Play the first 2 rounds over 3 days instead of 4. Everyone plays on the same days. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're a teenager, are you really going to sign up to be a guinea pig when your odds of dying are relatively low?

1-- Not all of them are teenagers.
2-- No one in this sport will be a "guinea pig" if their is vaccine.
3-- If they are told "You take the vaccine or you don't play." You bet they'll sign up. They want to play.

Not saying anything will work. Just saying if there is a vaccine and they are instructed to get it-- they will.

Reaction Score
1-- Not all of them are teenagers.
2-- No one in this sport will be a "guinea pig" if their is vaccine.
3-- If they are told "You take the vaccine or you don't play." You bet they'll sign up. They want to play.

Not saying anything will work. Just saying if there is a vaccine and they are instructed to get it-- they will.
The players are between 17 and 22 years old, sure not all of them are teenagers, but many of them are, so you're splitting hairs. Also, if you're one of the first to try something, by definition you're a guinea pig. It's probably moot anyway as any vaccine is going to front line workers first, and if all goes well to the general public sometime next year. As far as your last point, we've already seen student-athletes declare their health more important than playing a year of college ball. We've seen this at the college and professional levels with players opting out. They understand what's at stake long term. We can't even get people to take the MMR vaccine anymore something that has been safe for decades and protects people from an illness far more contagious than Covid-19. This is most likely going to take years to resolve, not 10 or 12 months.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My thoughts are to wait till after Christmas and play league schedules. Then their conference tourneys. Choose the top 64 teams and play those games at sites across the country followed by the NCAA tourney. No Fans Continue to test for the virus or any sickness and take it from there.

Reaction Score
For those of us that look through the world with old eyes, please explain what you mean by "bubble".

And, what would be the problem if they extended the basketball season through June of 2021? Colleges play baseball into the summer.

Reaction Score
Right: "Important for the student experience." How about important for the school budget?
What's worrisome is the prospect of some chopped up schedule that essentially dilutes or terminates this season. How in the world do teams prepare for play under such uncertainty?

Reaction Score
For those of us that look through the world with old eyes, please explain what you mean by "bubble".

And, what would be the problem if they extended the basketball season through June of 2021? Colleges play baseball into the summer.
It means they basically live and play their games all in one place. No one in and no one out until the season is over to prevent contamination. And you can't extend the season beyond the normal NCAA time frame because the draft happens a couple of weeks after, and then the pro season starts a month later.

Reaction Score
I have a different theory than most I guess. I think it should be pushed forward a bit for start of practice (bubbled as they are now). The ideal time to get most games in would be from the middle of November to the middle of January because it appears that is the time when most students would not be on campus so would drastically reduce the possibilities of infection. Colleges could have an area available (because students are gone) that is sanitized and used by the opposing teams (and sanitized again after they leave). Each team is already in their own bubble so only real risk is from the officials, media, or transportation personnel. Those risks could me mitigated as much as possible. This also cuts hotel costs.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
From a Bubble perspective, the various conferences could do that as it varies between 10-15 teams and if they start after Thanksgiving when most schools will not have students come back after that break, presumably all the classes would have to be on-line. added to the fact that depending on the semester finals and off time, you have another month from late December to late January to put the teams in one spot or two spots. It does require logistics and then a determination for how a vaccine and what a tournament could look like will have to e an evolving/fluid situation. The bigger conferences could probably cover the costs, not so sure about the lesser ones though as the NCAA would have to dip into it's coffers to help.

Reaction Score
They certainly would not be able to provide as effective of a bubble as the WNBA is using. It seems to me that they would just be creating a bubble to provide the illusion of safety.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The NCAA is going to have to think outside the box this year. Everyone wants to have a tournament this year, even if it's not a full 64 team field. You can't go 2 years without crowning a champion. The NCAA wants to have a tournament, but they have to keep everyone safe. Restrict travel, quarantine all players and their support staff (coaches/team managers) referees and arena workers. Here's a thought...................

Can you see a field of 32 teams over 11-13 days, or a 16 team tournament played over 9 days? A 32 team field would require the first two rounds to be played at 2 "bubbled" sites.

After 2 rounds, the field is now down to 16. This can be pared down to 4 in 3 days. 2-3 days off, then play the FF like you normally do. 1 day off between games. It CAN be done in less than 14 days, less if you don't stagger the first two rounds. Play the first 2 rounds over 3 days instead of 4. Everyone plays on the same days. :)

One more thought on a post season tournament his year. I know it would be extremely unpopular, but to keep the field short, reduce the field to conference champions only. No at-large teams. The at-large teams would kick and scream, but they don't really have anything to complain about. They didn't win their conference title. Less teams means stress on the medical staff, and less people inside the bubble.

Also, the tournament can be played in less time. This can be done at venue such as the one the WNBA is using in Florida. I think that scenario could work over a 7-10 day period. It's perfect. They already know how to cater to the needs and protocols of a function of this nature. They're doing it now. If we get to that point, it IS possible to have a post season tournament. Play every other day like the WNBA is now. The FF teams could get 3 days off before they begin play. The NCAA just has to figure out the logistics, and decide how many days they want to play the tournament in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of men's college hoop, just watch women's. You can bet the house that there will be a men's NCAA Basketball Tournament in 2021. The CBS payout is approx $770 million. The NCAA will not let that payday slip by again. If things don't change, I would say 32 teams in a bubble mid-May to Early June. Even if teams don't play many games in the Spring, say 12-15, they will pick teams and go with it. I would guess the women's TV revenue is a wash at best. Maybe 8, 12, or 16 teams if at all for the women in a bubble. If the NCAA misses that men's tournament again, there will be no NCAA.
I would rather this pandemic just disappears and we all go back to normal.

Reaction Score
The players are between 17 and 22 years old, sure not all of them are teenagers, but many of them are, so you're splitting hairs. Also, if you're one of the first to try something, by definition you're a guinea pig. It's probably moot anyway as any vaccine is going to front line workers first, and if all goes well to the general public sometime next year. As far as your last point, we've already seen student-athletes declare their health more important than playing a year of college ball. We've seen this at the college and professional levels with players opting out. They understand what's at stake long term. We can't even get people to take the MMR vaccine anymore something that has been safe for decades and protects people from an illness far more contagious than Covid-19. This is most likely going to take years to resolve, not 10 or 12 months.

Again

1--- I just made a comment not all players are teenagers. While you say many are I say many are not. It wasn't meant to be anything more than that.

2-- If there is a vaccine others would have been "the guinea pig." OFC frontline workers get the vaccine 1st as well and many many others will before the college athletes, so that the college athlete won't be the guinea pigs. Unless you want to say for example after 150 million americans take the vaccine and then someone takes the vaccine and is 1st member of their family to do so, then you also want to classify that person as a guinea pig? Are we going to split hairs that much?

3-- And as you suggest some student-athletes right now elect not to play but some will. And many will end up taking the vaccine knowing even as you point out that health care workers have taken it. And more than likely after the health care workers take it and others take it before the players-- there would probably be confirming strong evidence that the vaccine works. That's why it's a vaccine. And that's why many are going to take it.

4-- Young kids from the top conferences will take it because their whole life has been about basketball. They won't be allowed to do what they love and what they have grown up loving to do throughout their lives. If they are told you can't play without taking the vaccine-- many many many will take it. Thus imo your point about MMR is irrelevant. Regarding this eventual vaccine - the player will be restricted from playing unless he or she takes it.

Reaction Score
I was a vaccine guinea pig. Salk polio one. Unfortunately I was in the fake group so had to take those shots all over again. That was not fun as shots in that time were way more painful than the ones now. I was young so my parents made the decision for me but I was all in. Didn't want that disease. It worked.I've had most of the diseases there are now vaccines for. I remember still being kept in the dark while haveing the 7 day measles so I would be less likely to go blind. Still have the chicken pox scars. If there is one for the current disease I will be first in line if possible. So would many others including players who don't want their careers interupted or their health ruined.

Reaction Score
I think talk of a vaccine is premature, and it likely won't be part of the calculus for sports in the 2020-21 season. NCAA should just cancel it all and give everyone an extra year of eligibility. Either everyone pauses or no one does.

GG

Reaction Score
How are they going to go to class in a bubble. Unless all their classes are on line. A bubble is only as good as it's weakest link. All it takes is one player to get infected and it's all over. Do colleges even have the ability to create a bubble invironment that would include the entire league?
My nephew was going to UConn and almost all of his classes are online this semester.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom