Big East Bracketology/Bubble Watch | The Boneyard

Big East Bracketology/Bubble Watch

Reaction Score
There was another thread about the national "Bubble Watch", and I have some time on my hands, so I tried to lay out where the Big East teams stand. Here is how I view the Big East at the moment.

Safely in:
UConn - 14-1, #2 NET, #2 KenPom, 27-4 projected record (KenPom)
Xavier - 12-3, #20 NET, #20 KenPom, 22-9 projected record
Marquette - 11-4, #28 NET, #23 KenPom, 21-10 projected record

Those three are pretty clear cut. If the season was over today, they would be in. They would have to play themselves out.

Currently in, but on the bubble:
Creighton - 8-6, #36 NET, #26 KenPom, 18-13 projected

8-6 isn't a good record, and I didn't buy into them as a surefire top-10 team. Still, they should be a tournament team if they stay healthy, and could work their way back to the top 25. Any more bad losses now that they're healthy would change things.

Not quite in, on the bubble:
Providence - 11-3, #57 NET, #49 KenPom, 20-11 projected record

They don't have a great resume in terms of quality wins. They have a decent record with no bad losses, though, and will have plenty of chances to play themselves in. In fact, a victory over us should put them on the right side of the bubble. I want the conference to have a bunch of tournament teams, but I want to beat them by 20.

Outside looking in, still hope:
Villanova - 7-7, #91 NET, #53 KenPom, 16-15 projected record
Seton Hall - 7-7, #83 NET, #57 KenPom, 16-15 projected record

Outside looking in, less hope:
St. John's - 11-4, #101 NET, #69 KenPom, 18-13 projected record
Butler - 8-6 #82 NET, #91 KenPom, 15-16 projected record.

Out of those four, I see Nova as the most likely tournament team. I don't think Justin Moore can be counted on. If he provides something, they might pick up their play, and they've obviously played better with Whitmore. They have some talent and experience, and should be a top-5 team in the conference. St. John's brutal loss to Seton Hall was a huge blow for them. I don't think they're very good. Seton Hall has beaten Memphis and Rutgers at least. Butler doesn't really have a chance, barring a dramatic turnaround. They're just not as bad as the worst two in the conference.

Drag on the conference
DePaul - 7-7, #181 NET, #130 KenPom, 11-20 projected record
Georgetown - 5-9, #219 NET, #169 KenPom, 9-22 projected record

Georgetown has some talent, right? They shouldn't be this bad, yet here we are. Losing to either of these teams sure would hurt anyone's tournament resume.

Overall, I see us as a 4-6 bid conference. My biggest concern is that everyone could beat one another enough that none of the teams outside of the top 3 or 4 really distinguish themselves. Without separation between Providence, Nova, Seton Hall, and maybe St. John's, they could all be left out. The benefit is that we are in great position to win the conference and earn a #1 or #2 seed if we play the way we've shown we're capable of. Ultimately, that's what I care about the most.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
There was another thread about the national "Bubble Watch", and I have some time on my hands, so I tried to lay out where the Big East teams stand. Here is how I view the Big East at the moment.

Safely in:
Xavier - 12-3, #20 NET, #20 KenPom, 22-9 projected record
Marquette - 11-4, #28 NET, #23 KenPom, 21-10 projected record

Those three are pretty clear cut. If the season was over today, they would be in. They would have to play themselves out.

Currently in, but on the bubble:
Creighton - 8-6, #36 NET, #26 KenPom, 18-13 projected

8-6 isn't a good record, and I didn't buy into them as a surefire top-10 team. Still, they should be a tournament team if they stay healthy, and could work their way back to the top 25. Any more bad losses now that they're healthy would change things.

Not quite in, on the bubble:
Providence - 11-3, #57 NET, #49 KenPom, 20-11 projected record

They don't have a great resume in terms of quality wins. They have a decent record with no bad losses, though, and will have plenty of chances to play themselves in. In fact, a victory over us should put them on the right side of the bubble. I want the conference to have a bunch of tournament teams, but I want to beat them by 20.

Outside looking in, still hope:
Villanova - 7-7, #91 NET, #53 KenPom, 16-15 projected record
Seton Hall - 7-7, #83 NET, #57 KenPom, 16-15 projected record

Outside looking in, less hope:
St. John's - 11-4, #101 NET, #69 KenPom, 18-13 projected record
Butler - 8-6 #82 NET, #91 KenPom, 15-16 projected record.

Out of those four, I see Nova as the most likely tournament team. I don't think Justin Moore can be counted on. If he provides something, they might pick up their play, and they've obviously played better with Whitmore. They have some talent and experience, and should be a top-5 team in the conference. St. John's brutal loss to Seton Hall was a huge blow for them. I don't think they're very good. Seton Hall has beaten Memphis and Rutgers at least. Butler doesn't really have a chance, barring a dramatic turnaround. They're just not as bad as the worst two in the conference.

Drag on the conference
DePaul - 7-7, #181 NET, #130 KenPom, 11-20 projected record
Georgetown - 5-9, #219 NET, #169 KenPom, 9-22 projected record

Georgetown has some talent, right? They shouldn't be this bad, yet here we are. Losing to either of these teams sure would hurt anyone's tournament resume.

Overall, I see us as a 4-6 bid conference. My biggest concern is that everyone could beat one another enough that none of the teams outside of the top 3 or 4 really distinguish themselves. Without separation between Providence, Nova, Seton Hall, and maybe St. John's, they could all be left out. The benefit is that we are in great position to win the conference and earn a #1 or #2 seed if we play the way we've shown we're capable of. Ultimately, that's what I care about the most.
Thx for posting.
Happy New Year.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Safely in:
So you're saying that we're going to have to live through multiple "Hurley is an idiot" threads three more times before March?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I dont see UConn losing only 3 more while Xavier loses 6 more

Reaction Score
I dont see UConn losing only 3 more while Xavier loses 6 more
That doesn’t seem that unreasonable to me. We have played as well as just about anybody overall, and they have two more losses than us already. Saturday’s game aside, we’ve clearly had a better season than them, and a lot of Big East games can go either way. I do think they’ve established themselves as solidly ahead of Creighton and Marquette at the moment.

Reaction Score

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
At least 2 of our OOC opponents seem firmly in the field. Oklahoma St hanging on by a thread, who will need some big upsets in Big 12 play.

Florida and Oregon are train wrecks. At least UNC Wilmington has a pulse.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
At least 2 of our OOC opponents seem firmly in the field. Oklahoma St hanging on by a thread, who will need some big upsets in Big 12 play.

Florida and Oregon are train wrecks. At least UNC Wilmington has a pulse.
3/11 is bad lol. Ultimately, it will be two as OSU falls out of the picture.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom