BiG CR articles | Page 4 | The Boneyard

BiG CR articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I still think BC and Cuse will block UConn -- just ludicrous, but the same as UConn blocking UMass from the AAC if it ever came down to it.

I know we have support of VA and NC schools.
I don't get this. UConn played in a successful basketball league with BC and Cuse for decades. It is a closer school geographically for students and fans to road trip to. Maybe it's the private school vs public school thing. If our southern schools like FSU, Georgia Tech, and Clemson would get on board, maybe it won't matter what BC thinks. I don't think they have any issue with UConn. It was just that this last go around they really wanted Louisville.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I don't get this. UConn played in a successful basketball league with BC and Cuse for decades. It is a closer school geographically for students and fans to road trip to. Maybe it's the private school vs public school thing. If our southern schools like FSU, Georgia Tech, and Clemson would get on board, maybe it won't matter what BC thinks. I don't think they have any issue with UConn. It was just that this last go around they really wanted Louisville.
The only reason is they fear competition in the New England/New York market. They should "man up".

Reaction Score
I think you're right. Make that a $130 million loss!

$130 million? The SEC has no GOR, no exit fee, and no other exiting policies. Even if the SEC could hold back a teams payments from the time of declaring departure, a team could minimize that to as little as 6 months of pay or about 10 to 15 million, which would be on par with the old BE. It is not the exiting policies or cost of leaving the SEC that hold it together, but rather the competition, future earning, and southern cultural fit.

Reaction Score
That has to be one of the most nonsensical things I've ever read.
BWI and Audibles both. And they had BuffaloLion on there telling all of them that they were crazy. I've seen him over here. Kevin McGuire, who writes columns and covers Penn State, tweeted about it and wrote about it too.

Reaction Score
The only reason is they fear competition in the New England/New York market. They should "man up".
Why would they fear it? They've been in a league with UConn for 25-30 years. Makes no sense.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score

A big part of it was the explosive growth of UCONN.

SU has to deal with the fact that despite a decade headstart, they are behind UCONN in BE Championships, BET Championships, sweett16's, elite 8, FF's and NC's since the start of the BE.

SU also has to deal with having a losing record against UCONN in football.

BCU always was SU's little brother.

Reaction Score
I still think BC and Cuse will block UConn -- just ludicrous, but the same as UConn blocking UMass from the AAC if it ever came down to it.

I know we have support of VA and NC schools.

Do we want to be in a conference that would "allow" Syracuse or BC to block us? It seems like the tail would be wagging the dog.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
Why would they fear it? They've been in a league with UConn for 25-30 years. Makes no sense.
But now they have a new opportunity in a new league that is more-so concentrated in the South where they can say to recruits and media/licensing partners, "We are NYC's team" or "We are New England's team". It's a bunch of BS, but they can say it.

I always thought the Syracuse AD had our back to get us into the ACC, but when it was reported that when their input was requested from the ACC on which team to add, they chose Louisville, I lost all hope of us ever getting an invite to the ACC unless they need some major holes to fill. At this point, I think they take Cinci over UConn if ND (when hell freezes over) ever decided to go all in.

Reaction Score
And ask yourself who has had the most success in those 25-30 years throughout its athletic department. That is why they don't want to see us on an even playing field.

Reaction Score
But now they have a new opportunity in a new league that is more-so concentrated in the South where they can say to recruits and media/licensing partners, "We are NYC's team" or "We are New England's team". It's a bunch of BS, but they can say it.

I always thought the Syracuse AD had our back to get us into the ACC, but when it was reported that when their input was requested from the ACC on which team to add, they chose Louisville, I lost all hope of us ever getting an invite to the ACC unless they need some major holes to fill. At this point, I think they take Cinci over UConn if ND (when hell freezes over) ever decided to go all in.

Let them - the ACC is going down the wrong road and the it will create problems soon enough. Syracuse is just jealous of our success and that won't change. As I posted earlier, Syracuse is, at best, a second tier private institution in the Northeast that is over-priced for what you get. The last thing they want is being compared to public institution every bit as good as them academically (and on a much more positive trajectory) at 1/3 the cost.

Reaction Score

I hope UConn is the next choice. I'm not sold on Cincinnati. But, I would imagine Pittsburgh and Louisville will be wanting them. I realize that UVA will have a hard time winning basketball games vs UConn. But I like good competition. It makes the league fun to follow. We already have a hard time beating Duke in basketball and Virginia Tech in football. It's exciting when we do.

Reaction Score
BWI and Audibles both. And they had BuffaloLion on there telling all of them that they were crazy. I've seen him over here. Kevin McGuire, who writes columns and covers Penn State, tweeted about it and wrote about it too.

No disrespect to you, stimpy. You seem like a fine and reasonable fellow. It's just that a bunch of people saying they want out of the most profitable and stable conference for one that is still on shaky footing makes no sense to me. The ACC's troubles can be summed up in three words. South Eastern Conference.

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
I hope UConn is the next choice. I'm not sold on Cincinnati. But, I would imagine Pittsburgh and Louisville will be wanting them. I realize that UVA will have a hard time winning basketball games vs UConn. But I like good competition. It makes the league fun to follow. We already have a hard time beating Duke in basketball and Virginia Tech in football. It's exciting when we do.
I love competition in any sport -- that's how you get better. Like the one and only Jim Calhoun said, "Line 'em up!"

Reaction Score
No disrespect to you, stimpy. You seem like a fine and reasonable fellow. It's just that a bunch of people saying they want out of the most profitable and stable conference for one that is still on shaky footing makes no sense to me. The ACC's troubles can be summed up in three words. South Eastern Conference.

Yet they do, and they think they are a major part of why the Big Ten is most profitable and stable. If they move out and join the ACC, they think they will take that profitability and stability with them. I think that the Big Ten would survive just fine. I'm just saying what they have been saying.

Here you go from 1 year ago this week: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/08/17/3302523/in-ncaa-debacle-acc-option-more.html

Reaction Score
I don't think the best coaches wanted to be down south. I think it's a matter of circumstance. Carr and Cooper were shoehorned into their positions. Paterno coached for 50 years. It's circumstance. Urban Meyer after all left Florida and a year later ended up at Ohio State. He could've landed back down south if he'd wanted.

Unless of course you are Nick Saban making a cool $5.3 million a year at Alabama, which ranks him #1 in college sports and would make him #11 (of 32) of coaches in the NFL.

http://coacheshotseat.com/NFLCoachesSalaries.htm

Have to love those salaries at supposed, amateur, non-profit universities.

Reaction Score
$130 million? The SEC has no GOR, no exit fee, and no other exiting policies. Even if the SEC could hold back a teams payments from the time of declaring departure, a team could minimize that to as little as 6 months of pay or about 10 to 15 million, which would be on par with the old BE. It is not the exiting policies or cost of leaving the SEC that hold it together, but rather the competition, future earning, and southern cultural fit.

You left out the most important parts of the post. First of all, I can't even fathom how you get 10 or 15 million when it's taken teams 2 and 3 years to get out. Your own school Pitt announced in 2011 and is finally in the conference for 2013-2014. 2 years without SEC pay = $60 million. Then you look at Rutgers that is taking 7 years to get paid by the B1G. If Rutgers were leaving the SEC, it would have made $70 million less in those 7 years than it otherwise would have by staying put. Total bill for leaving: $130 million.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I generally agree; but, the B1G question is if the B1G wants to be at 14 members or 16 members for the next media contract review. If they want 16, the B1G will likely review UConn along with a handful of other schools.

Dude of course the B1G wants to go 16. Then they can be the B16.

Reaction Score

It's a competition thing. For one, BC lost 27 straight basketball games to UConn through the 90s and early 00s. Secondly, in 2002, long before the BC to ACC thing became a reality, the Boston Globe reported that BCs AD and others were leery of UConn joining the BE for football because they had fairly dominated in basketball, and because Connecticut was a good BC recruiting ground. Unlike all other states in New England, the state of Connecticut produces top football players at a clip reminiscent of a Wisconsin and the like. Two years ago 7 former Ct. high schoolers were drafted in the first 3 rounds. UConn's rise into the BE also coincided with Syracuse plummeting in football. Don't forget about Cuse's long history of Conn. players, from Floyd Little to Dwight Freeney and Tebucky Jones and beyond.

I do think these two schools have less access to recruits because of UConn, but that doesn't mean their actions are legitimate.

Reaction Score
Yet they do, and they think they are a major part of why the Big Ten is most profitable and stable. If they move out and join the ACC, they think they will take that profitability and stability with them. I think that the Big Ten would survive just fine. I'm just saying what they have been saying. Here you go from 1 year ago this week: http://www.centredaily.com/2012/08/17/3302523/in-ncaa-debacle-acc-option-more.html

I recognize there are Penn State alums and fans as well as current faculty, staff or students who are dissatisfied with the B1G and would welcome a move to the ACC.

However, I think Penn State values the academic and research collaboration it has found in the B1G and question if Penn State would be willing to give up this collaboration.

"University makes all-around gains from inclusion in Big Ten"
http://www.psu.edu/ur/archives/intercom_1996/Jan25/BigTen.html

"CIC enhances academic excellence opportunities, efficiencies"
http://news.psu.edu/story/187987/2008/05/16/cic-enhances-academic-excellence-opportunities-efficiencies

"Penn State reaps benefits from CIC membership"
http://news.psu.edu/story/165214/2010/09/03/penn-state-reaps-benefits-cic-membership

Reaction Score
PSU's board developed the roadmap for its own punishments--the NCAA and B1G had little to do with it. That being said, the feathers were ruffled when Michigan St. opened the issue of expelling PSU from the conference.

Concur; but, perceptually in the media, it did look like Michigan State & the B1G overall threw Penn State under the bus.

Reaction Score
ND an international university but Michigan a regional one? I'll have to think about that.

Touchdown Jesus says, Yes!

Even without a medical school, or state funding, or limited federal funding as it is a religious university, or…

Reaction Score

Yep, completely illogical the relationship between UConn, BC, and ‘Cuse, which is one reason why the Northeast’s college sports scene is such a mess.

I remember travelling up the Green Line to UConn’s first game in Chestnut Hill as a Big E member in 2002 (BC smoked UConn) and I heard talk from some folks within BC that there was concern that UConn football would eclipse BC football as ‘the’ football program in New England. The same folks told me that is why BC bolted to the ACC early in 2005 even in the face of the danger that being a Yankee outpost in a Confederate conference could cause, which proved correct. Then, throw a pair of CT hotheads into the mix in Calhoun and Blumenthal (for way different reasons) and there is the bad blood there. More recently, due to UConn’s increased academic success, UConn alumni have been flocking to NYC in larger numbers. I noticed how the shift has tilted in UConn’s favor at UConn/Syracuse basketball games at MSG over the last few seasons. Syracuse knows that 1) UConn is closer to NYC and 2) UConn is graduating more student than it, so Syracuse had to protect the one major asset it has – NYC, hence the billboards around MSG, Times Square and Yankee stadium proclaiming Syracuse as New York City’s ‘college team.’ Hence the off alliance between Syracuse, Florida State, and Clemson to vote for Louisville over UConn.

Syracuse would do the same to Rutgers in a heartbeat; but, Rutgers has had less support on the field and court than UConn has had. It is very similar to how Villanova has treated Temple in Philly for years.

Reaction Score
I recognize there are Penn State alums and fans as well as current faculty, staff or students who are dissatisfied with the B1G and would welcome a move to the ACC.

However, I think Penn State values the academic and research collaboration it has found in the B1G and question if Penn State would be willing to give up this collaboration.

"University makes all-around gains from inclusion in Big Ten"
http://www.psu.edu/ur/archives/intercom_1996/Jan25/BigTen.html

"CIC enhances academic excellence opportunities, efficiencies"
http://news.psu.edu/story/187987/2008/05/16/cic-enhances-academic-excellence-opportunities-efficiencies

"Penn State reaps benefits from CIC membership"
[URL='http://news.psu.edu/story/165214/2010/09/03/penn-state-reaps-benefits-cic-membership[/quote']http://news.psu.edu/story/165214/2010/09/03/penn-state-reaps-benefits-cic-membership[/URL]

The ACCIAC is a similar Collaborative Consortium. It is modelled after the Big Ten's CIC, and it was established through the efforts former Big Ten executives like Donna Shalala, Teresa Sullivan, etc who are now in the ACC and have experience with the CIC. It has much of the same collaborative purchasing, cross university access to courses, library access, and undergraduate research funding. In the 90s when the ACC did not have this, there was a greater difference than exists today between the Big Ten and ACC.

http://acciac.org/

http://www.miami.edu/index.php/pres.../acciac_creativity_and_innovation_fellowship/

http://college.wfu.edu/ureca/acciac

Reaction Score
Yep, completely illogical the relationship between UConn, BC, and ‘Cuse, which is one reason why the Northeast’s college sports scene is such a mess.

I remember travelling up the Green Line to UConn’s first game in Chestnut Hill as a Big E member in 2002 (BC smoked UConn) and I heard talk from some folks within BC that there was concern that UConn football would eclipse BC football as ‘the’ football program in New England. The same folks told me that is why BC bolted to the ACC early in 2005 even in the face of the danger that being a Yankee outpost in a Confederate conference could cause, which proved correct. Then, throw a pair of CT hotheads into the mix in Calhoun and Blumenthal (for way different reasons) and there is the bad blood there. More recently, due to UConn’s increased academic success, UConn alumni have been flocking to NYC in larger numbers. I noticed how the shift has tilted in UConn’s favor at UConn/Syracuse basketball games at MSG over the last few seasons. Syracuse knows that 1) UConn is closer to NYC and 2) UConn is graduating more student than it, so Syracuse had to protect the one major asset it has – NYC, hence the billboards around MSG, Times Square and Yankee stadium proclaiming Syracuse as New York City’s ‘college team.’ Hence the off alliance between Syracuse, Florida State, and Clemson to vote for Louisville over UConn.

Syracuse would do the same to Rutgers in a heartbeat; but, Rutgers has had less support on the field and court than UConn has had. It is very similar to how Villanova has treated Temple in Philly for years.

It doesn't make sense to me. I don't understand then why the two of them get along so well when they don't get along with UConn. Hopefully the ACC can resolve some of this and Notre Dame break through this by requesting UConn. I can understand the attraction to Louisville, but it shouldn't be at the expense of UConn. I think there is room for both. UConn would enhance the ACC in the NY/NE area.

Reaction Score
The ACCIAC is a similar Collaborative Consortium. It is modelled after the Big Ten's CIC, and it was established through the efforts former Big Ten executives like Donna Shalala, Teresa Sullivan, etc who are now in the ACC and have experience with the CIC. It has much of the same collaborative purchasing, cross university access to courses, library access, and undergraduate research funding. In the 90s when the ACC did not have this, there was a greater difference than exists today between the Big Ten and ACC.

http://acciac.org/

http://www.miami.edu/index.php/pres.../acciac_creativity_and_innovation_fellowship/

http://college.wfu.edu/ureca/acciac
And the ACC takes in Louisville over UConn? What is Louisville going to add in research? How to breed better horses and make better baseball bats? Completely mind-boggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom