Big 12's Neinas on expansion: "people seem to be satisfied with 10" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big 12's Neinas on expansion: "people seem to be satisfied with 10"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It all started with a supreme court decision in 1984 regarding the broadcasting of college football, as controlled by the NCAA at the time for the past 35 years or so prior to 1984, and it doesn't stop until a college football post season to determine a national champion on the field of play, is established.

Television deals will only stretch out the periods of time of stability, and make the periods of time when broadcasting contracts are expiring/renewing....more chaotic - until a post season exists such that every program in the country has the same path to a national title.

Some 28 or so division 1-A football programs with histories spanning decades of independance were all in conferences by 1990. Some long time conferences in the mid west and west and south, folded up shop, and new ones formed all over the place through that decade of 1990s.

On the east coast, basketball and football competed with each other for power, much longer than that, starting with the Ivy's diminishing the importance of football in 1960. The big east rose up in basketball, and started playing football in 1991.

The ACC had no trouble bringing Miami, VTech, Boston College on board in the early aughts - the two most powerful football programs east of the Mississippi in the late 1990s, and a stray dog they couldn't get rid of, becuase the Big East leadership from presidents to commissioner had their heads up their butts about what was happening in the intercollegiate landscape nationally, as basketball ruled the north east during that short period of time between the reorganization of college football and the NCAA from 1973 through 1990.

By 2010, The big 10, quietly positioned themselves for the next contract renewal period by adding the entire state of Nebraska viewing population for football in 2010, and the dominoes fell from there, with the mid west and south once again scrambling just like in the 1990s, and then the ACC going back to the garden for some more vegetables.

The big east, it's about time that we start being a player in the system, with an end result in mind.

Chuck Neinas is an 80 year old man, that's trying to preserve his legacy, which has been closely intertwined with everything I just discussed, his entire life.

An invitation bowl system, can, and should, exist for the college football post season to reward football programs that have done well. It should be done the right way, the way it was prior to the advent of the Bowl Alliance in 1990, and there should be a playoff for a national championship, for the best teams in the country every year.

That has got to be end result to work for. Neinas, and the old guard? don't want that, if you ask me.

"The highest level of grand strategy is conducting war with a far-sighted regard of the state of peace that will follow." B.H. Liddel Hart.

Every single one of the moves that has been made by any conference in the past 20 years, has not been made with the intent of a state of peace, which in college football, would mean STABILITY. Every move in conferences, starting with the flock of indendants into college conferences in 1990, has been a temporary thing.

Everyone and their mother recognizes that the current structure of the big east conference is one that does not lend itself to a long term stability without significant future change.

But every single one of the membership came out those meetings talking about the desire for STABILITY in the college landscape.

that stability, because of oklahoma v. NCAA in 1984, can only come from a true competitive post season based on conference champions competitng on the field of play. Granting of media rights to a conference is the only way to have temporary stability right now, talked about that a long time ago, and Neinas got the Big 12 to do it.

But it's not an end result for stability, it only prolongs the unrest.

The BCS leadership, the old guard, has no idea what's coming their way, and they will kick and scream and fight to hold on to what they've gotten because they've made millions upon millions of dollars with it, in the past 20 years.

Have a nice day folks. Next big round of action comes in June.

Reaction Score
That was a bizarre post full of mainly true facts assembled together in some form that seemed to have little, if anything, to do with this topic.

Reaction Score
This might be an indication that Notre Dame has gummed up the works by flirting with the Big 12, and Neinas knows the league will waste the next 10 years trying to get the Irish to join.

Oh.

I am not making a prediction on what will happen, but I would think it's a more reasonable conclusion that you were wrong on what would happen than that you were right but the Big XII really believes it's going to get ND for football.

but that's just me.

Reaction Score
Neinas thinks his conference is stable. It's not. It's all temporary. The big 10 and Pac 12 are the most stable conferences because they have 100+ year tradition of stability in the post season.

That's what the SEC and Big 12 are trying to create now. Stability in the post season, with a conference championship game, but it's too late for them. The television forces have gotten too strong.

Stability across the entire country, and all sports - because all intercollegiate sports are affected, only comes from a college football postseason that eventually establishes the same path for every program to win a national championship.

The anti-trust issues brought up in the 80s around broadcasting, ended the stability in intercollegiate athletics that existed for so long, without a true post season based on competition.

It's going to take the entire country to get behind this thing and uproot these people that are in control. The biggest hurdle has been cleared. Point of no return.

Its easier to see this through to the end result now, rather than go back to the beginning.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Oh.

I am not making a prediction on what will happen, but I would think it's a more reasonable conclusion that you were wrong on what would happen than that you were right but the Big XII really believes it's going to get ND for football.

but that's just me.

Wrong about what? FSU and Clemson? The only reason I am hedging now is Notre Dame. If Notre Dame removed itself from the picture, FSU and Clemson are gone. I don't think ND will do that, because they want realignment to stop. By flirting with every league, they insure that the league doesn't add any other schools. Don't believe me?

1) Big 10 - stayed at 11 schools for 15 years because they thought Notre Dame would be the 12th. Still postponing additional expansion in the hope of getting ND.

2) ACC - All signs/leaks are that either UConn or Rutgers will be the 16th to Notre Dame's 15th member of the ACC.

3) Big 12 - on the verge of adding as many as 4 schools, new rumors are everything is on hold while the Big 12 speaks with Notre Dame.

Notre Dame will never join any of those three leagues as a full member, but just the potential of that happening prevents them from moving on with their own membership. Putting to the side whether Notre Dame is even worth this much brain damage, it is obvious that conferences are extremely poor at assessing their likelihood of Notre Dame becoming an actual member of their league.

Reaction Score
Don't believe anything out there unless it's a direct quote from the commissioner, or one of the Big East presidents.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyCBS
Big East interim commish Joe Bailey on Texas talking w/ND since 2010: "They've been doing it since 2010? It hasn't worked"

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Tuberville thinks B12 expansion is going to happen...

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews...tommy-tuberville-would-like-to-see-big-1.html

"I think there's going to be some changes. I don't know anything in terms of what the what those teams on the East Coast are saying, but we all know from experience that when the rumors start and you have regents and trustees talking in public that something is bound to happen."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom