Big 12's Neinas on expansion: "people seem to be satisfied with 10" | The Boneyard

Big 12's Neinas on expansion: "people seem to be satisfied with 10"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.../big-12s-chuck-neinas-on-expansion-right.html

Found this quote from Neinas to be quite peculiar.

He did address Notre Dame, independent in football with its Olympics sports in the Big East.
"So your question is, could that type of arrangement be transferred to the Big 12?" Neinas said. "We certainly would be amenable to discussing that with Notre Dame if there is interest. But right now nothing of that nature has happened."

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It's from a conference commissioner, so it must be true.

Reaction Score
He won't be the interim commissioner for much longer. Maybe the BE should hire him.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I am trying to assess these comments using the established boneyard formula where: bad news = truth (if it affects uconn negatively); bad news = / = truth if it affects anyone else; good news = false if it helps uconn. based on this formula and the fact that no additions to big 12 stops the chairs moving and hurts us, but the big12 taking notre dame for the olympic sports is our holy grail i come up with 0. can anyone check my math?

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
It's from a conference commissioner, so it must be true.

No, no, no, under the Spackler Doctrine, any quotes directly attributed to any OTHER conference's commissioner or executive are to be taken as false. They are lying.

It is only the truth if it is a quote directly attributable to either the BIG EAST commissioner or a president of one of the league's schools. Do NOT believe anything about the Big East unless the quote is directly attributable to one of the persons listed above.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
The Big XII expanding is inevitable, but nothing is going to happen until at least the four-team playoff structure is fully understood. In the interim, the conference commissioner is not going to say anything remotely provocative or show his hand in any way.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The Big XII expanding is inevitable, but nothing is going to happen until at least the four-team playoff structure is fully understood. In the interim, the conference commissioner is not going to say anything remotely provocative or show his hand in any way.

they need to get to 12 for a ship game and the ship game $$. they have to do that this summer so next fall they can bring teams in for that game. waiting another year would mean a extra year where they lost $$ off not having a ship game. the playoff will not effect getting to 12. 14 and 16, yes....

Reaction Score
they need to get to 12 for a ship game and the ship game $$. they have to do that this summer so next fall they can bring teams in for that game. waiting another year would mean a extra year where they lost $$ off not having a ship game. the playoff will not effect getting to 12. 14 and 16, yes....

depending on how the 4 team playoff works out, the CC game could be a net money loser if it keeps the B12 out of the F4. depending on the money involved in the F4, it's possible that just splitting the money an extra 2 ways could make it a net money loser. in reality it would be in every conferences best interests to settle down until this crap gets worked out. i still don't think FSU or Clemson are going anywhere anytime soon. there's too much in flux to be making grand gestures

Reaction Score
If we go to a 4 team playoff of conference champions, the conference championships become the quarterfinals with 8 teams involved.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Good. now we can go back to waiting for Calhoun's next German recruit.

Reaction Score
I am trying to assess these comments using the established boneyard formula where: bad news = truth (if it affects uconn negatively); bad news = / = truth if it affects anyone else; good news = false if it helps uconn. based on this formula and the fact that no additions to big 12 stops the chairs moving and hurts us, but the big12 taking notre dame for the olympic sports is our holy grail i come up with 0. can anyone check my math?

Is that like if you multiple a negative to another negative, you get a positive?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No, no, no, under the Spackler Doctrine, any quotes directly attributed to any OTHER conference's commissioner or executive are to be taken as false. They are lying.

It is only the truth if it is a quote directly attributable to either the BIG EAST commissioner or a president of one of the league's schools. Do NOT believe anything about the Big East unless the quote is directly attributable to one of the persons listed above.

Is that from his 245 page link on naval military operations? I'm still waiting for the Cliff Notes before I go any further with who to believe!

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Just adding to the Big-12 theme.....there was a pretty good article on CFN today about the Big-12 and how it's rise to power has been a result of luck and unfair consequences to others. The first reason they give for the Big-12's revival is this:

The first reality is that the ACC's raid of the Big East – something the Big 12 did not bring about in any way, shape or form – made the Big 12's new life possible. If Pittsburgh and Syracuse didn't leave the Big East, TCU wouldn't have left. If TCU hadn't left, the Big 12 wouldn't have improved its football brand. If TCU hadn't left, West Virginia might still have had a reason to stay in the Big East, but if that statement seems shaky to you, fine – it can safely be said that if Pittsburgh, Syracuse and TCU had all stayed, West Virginia would not have left the Big East for the Big 12. This domino chain of if-then statements underscores one very simple point: A main part of the Big 12's resuscitation was and is fundamentally a gift that fell in its lap, as opposed to being a product of its cleverness or administrative skill.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Another quote that I feel sums it up well in terms of the crappy reality of all this was this:

It would be fine if the Boise States, Idahos and Louisvilles of the world – plus the mid-major basketball conferences (and teams) affected by realignment – mismanaged their way into adversity. The word "fine" is used in the sense that if institutions experienced hardships because of their own unwise and irresponsible choices, they could only blame themselves for their predicaments. If schools and conferences encountered misery by their own hands in a fair and genuinely open market, no one would have a right or a place to complain.
The fact – and it is a fact – that various schools and conferences are falling in college sports' pecking order without doing much of anything to merit failure is precisely what proves how unfair the current playing field is in collegiate athletics. The fact that other schools and conferences have enjoyed prosperity without doing things to merit that prosperity only affirms the absence of credible, streamlined, uniform governance throughout the athletic-industrial complex.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well of course. Because the Big East is now on Navy protocols and we all know that the military and government never lie.....

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Anyone get a piece of Memorial Stadium ?

16x9

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that WVU wouldn't have left. I still wanted to leave and Luck is one of the few people who thinks less of the Big East conference mates than I.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This might be an indication that Notre Dame has gummed up the works by flirting with the Big 12, and Neinas knows the league will waste the next 10 years trying to get the Irish to join.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Good, let the Irish give a handjob to someone else for a decade or so.

Reaction Score
Just adding to the Big-12 theme.....there was a pretty good article on CFN today about the Big-12 and how it's rise to power has been a result of luck and unfair consequences to others. The first reason they give for the Big-12's revival is this:

You know that's BS right? TCU, a former Southwest Conference team that's been dying to get into the Big 12 for decades, is going to pass that up merely to stay with Syracuse and Pitt? Uh...no.

Syracuse and Pitt chose to leave the Big east. And yet, TCU - a team based in Texas, is going to pass up an opportunity to play with the vast majority of its former conference mates located nearby to go play schools like Rutgers and UConn. If only Pitt and Syracuse stayed? I'm sure they'd be thrilled passing up games against Texas and Oklahoma so they can get Syracuse on the schedule.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know that's BS right? TCU, a former Southwest Conference team that's been dying to get into the Big 12 for decades, is going to pass that up merely to stay with Syracuse and Pitt? Uh...no.

Syracuse and Pitt chose to leave the Big east. And yet, TCU - a team based in Texas, is going to pass up an opportunity to play with the vast majority of its former conference mates located nearby to go play schools like Rutgers and UConn. If only Pitt and Syracuse stayed? I'm sure they'd be thrilled passing up games against Texas and Oklahoma so they can get Syracuse on the schedule.

Agree, but there may have been less of climate for change if the ACC hadn't fired off it's most recent volley. Without an offer TCU stays.

Reaction Score
Agree, but there may have been less of climate for change if the ACC hadn't fired off it's most recent volley. Without an offer TCU stays.

The climate of change started when schools left the Big 12. The big 12 then filled the void. Although I know people want to blame the ACC for everything, it really had nothing to do with TCU either leaving the Big East or joining the Big 12 (it did help TCU by indirectly allowing it to join the Big East by taking other Big East football schools)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The climate of change started when schools left the Big 12. The big 12 then filled the void. Although I know people want to blame the ACC for everything, it really had nothing to do with TCU either leaving the Big East or joining the Big 12 (it did help TCU by indirectly allowing it to join the Big East by taking other Big East football schools)

Exactly. TCU was a product of A&M leaving the Big XII, not of any Big East-ACC events. West Virginia was a bit of both. I doubt that they leave if Pitt and Syracuse don't jump. But I also dispute the notion that TCU improves the "brand" over A&M. WVU and Mizzou were a wash last year, but WVU is historically better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom