Big 12 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You all do realize it will be years before UConn sees real revenue? Between the $30mm BE exit fee and whatever fee the Big 12 will require...it will be awhile before UConn sees a positive financially on this. Has Rutgers actually seen a full share yet?

Not to say you don't do it....but realize you won't see the extra money for years.

I point this out because it's not as black and white as people want to make it.
I think the the big condition from UConn’s point of view is that they do get a full share the very first year. Buying a land grant institution and school that is a national champion right now in men’s basketball (not to mention has 16 National Championships in men’s and women’s basketball) and is on the road to recovery with it’s football program will cost some bucks.

Reaction Score
Of the 30 Big 12 football championship winners (including co-champs), only 8 have been won by schools that will still be in the league after the upcoming season. Without the six schools that abandoned the league over the last decade plus (Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma) I really don't see it as an incredibly attractive set of competitors. I think UConn would probably have no choice but to accept an offer just for the $$$, but I think the Big 12 is nuts if it's looking at us right now. It should be falling over backward trying to get the 4 best remaining schools from the Pac-12 to sign on and reinforce its football reputation going forward. Sure, we'd help seal the deal as the #1 basketball conference, but is that really priority 1 (over strengthening football) for the league right now?
They are the #1 basketball conference even without UConn. Baylor won it all in 2021 and Kansas won it all last year.

Reaction Score
The Big12 pays out north of $40m per year now. This will grow in the next couple of years when the CFP will drive an avalanche of additional money to each P5 conference. This is actually the reason why UConn and any other non-P5 school has to get into a P5 conference. If anyone thinks it's the haves and the have-nots now, just wait until that occurs.

Reaction Score
You all do realize it will be years before UConn sees real revenue? Between the $30mm BE exit fee and whatever fee the Big 12 will require...it will be awhile before UConn sees a positive financially on this. Has Rutgers actually seen a full share yet?

Not to say you don't do it....but realize you won't see the extra money for years.

I point this out because it's not as black and white as people want to make it.
Revenue will go up and there are a couple of big financial hits with fees depending on when it would play out. I'll bet from a cash flow standpoint it's an annual net gain from the current deficit situation fairly quickly. And then after a few years, it's a very large cash flow net gain. Then factor in an improving football program, a Big12 football schedule which is actually pretty good despite what some argue, and the factor of watching the Big 12 standings, and financials should improve that much more. Agreed, not black and white. But the shades of green are there.

Reaction Score
They aren't going to get 30 at first. They will have to buy their way in. I don't know how much...or whether it matters...but it's a consideration.

From the Amore article...

"A move to the Big 12 would add roughly $30 million per year to UConn’s revenue, but costs would also rise and there would be cost to leave the Big East ($30 million) and join the Big 12. It would have to be negotiated how long before a new member becomes a full member."
That's all speculation. If we worry about every possible hang up they'll never do anything. They're not going in this year if invited. Big12 also renegotiates again in 2031. You seem to be against the move, when we do this we look for every bit of confirmation bias to support our decision. 30 million is TV money only. That's not CFB play off money etc.

Reaction Score
Of the 30 Big 12 football championship winners (including co-champs), only 8 have been won by schools that will still be in the league after the upcoming season. Without the six schools that abandoned the league over the last decade plus (Nebraska, Colorado, Texas A&M, Missouri, Texas and Oklahoma) I really don't see it as an incredibly attractive set of competitors. I think UConn would probably have no choice but to accept an offer just for the $$$, but I think the Big 12 is nuts if it's looking at us right now. It should be falling over backward trying to get the 4 best remaining schools from the Pac-12 to sign on and reinforce its football reputation going forward. Sure, we'd help seal the deal as the #1 basketball conference, but is that really priority 1 (over strengthening football) for the league right now?
They're not nuts. The PAC is pledging to stay together while the ACC despite their GOR is looking for ways to break apart. Yormark is savy enough to see the real play is for an eastern flank of old big east schools. The ones with no chance in hell of going to the SEC or B1G.

Reaction Score
They're not nuts. The PAC is pledging to stay together while the ACC despite their GOR is looking for ways to break apart. Yormark is savy enough to see the real play is for an eastern flank of old big east schools. The ones with no chance in hell of going to the SEC or B1G.
Based on what I heard this morning, UConn is being looked at by another P5 for the same reasons.

Reaction Score
It would take just two years to recover the 30 million BE exit Fee and I don't think Amore is even factoring in increased ticket revenue and donations for football. At the end of the day the exit fee should not be an obstacle in making this decision, it's called spending money to make money otherwise known as an investment.
They might not have to pay the full 30 all at once? Get an invitation first then they can figure it out.

Reaction Score
So UConn AD DB refuses to confirm or deny the reports of a Yormark visit to Storrs. That in itself tells us it happened. But just to confirm our suspicions, I reached out to sources for an off the record yay or nay. No reply. My conclusion is that it indeed happened. No reply is all the confirmation I need.

The theory that UConn has come into play now that one suitor has appeared is reinforced by CONN78SEJ's post. Guess I am not surprised. The next month will be interesting.

Reaction Score
Revenue will go up and there are a couple of big financial hits with fees depending on when it would play out. I'll bet from a cash flow standpoint it's an annual net gain from the current deficit situation fairly quickly. And then after a few years, it's a very large cash flow net gain. Then factor in an improving football program, a Big12 football schedule which is actually pretty good despite what some argue, and the factor of watching the Big 12 standings, and financials should improve that much more. Agreed, not black and white. But the shades of green are there.
Likely not. But an agreement to start at 50% the first year and 60% the second, 70% the third and so on would be acceptable, don't you think? Who knows, though. Multiple suitors would give UConn more leverage.

Reaction Score
They aren't going to get 30 at first. They will have to buy their way in. I don't know how much...or whether it matters...but it's a consideration.

From the Amore article...

"A move to the Big 12 would add roughly $30 million per year to UConn’s revenue, but costs would also rise and there would be cost to leave the Big East ($30 million) and join the Big 12. It would have to be negotiated how long before a new member becomes a full member."

That's all speculation. If we worry about every possible hang up they'll never do anything. They're not going in this year if invited. Big12 also renegotiates again in 2031. You seem to be against the move, when we do this we look for every bit of confirmation bias to support our decision. 30 million is TV money only. That's not CFB play off money etc.
Yeah UConn is not going to pay 30 million in a lump sum. That fee will halve in two years and any negotiated number may be handled like the AAC departure; UConn's yearly conference money will be kept, a fractional lump sum the next year then a yearly payment until the balance is met. It will be spread out in some fashion.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess we can't say no if an offer comes. The increased revenue and P5 affiliation will allow us to pay for good coaching staffs, which, as we have recently seen, mean everything. That said, this conference realignment stuff gives me heartburn and I can't get excited about it.
I have to say that this is pretty much where I am as well. I'm not really excited about the prospect of a big 12 offer, more relieved and resigned to it. There are a lot of pros and cons to it, but financial stability is the elephant in the room and ultimately will carry the day.

And of course, two decades of conference realignment talk has left me skeptical. I'll believe it when it happens.

CL82

Reaction Score
I guess I am with you in a sense. Taking the offer if it comes gets the topic off the table. This thorn in UConn's side for the past decade+. I am tired of reading and talking about it.
… And yet you will continue to do it, just like the rest of us. ;)

CL82

Reaction Score
How is that different than when they left the AAC for the Big East? They paid 17 million then to get 5 or so from the BE. Paying 30 to get 30 don't make more sense to you?
$20.5M don't forget the Big East entrance fee. It was worth every penny.

Reaction Score
$20.5M don't forget the Big East entrance fee. It was worth every penny.
And this will probably be as well. Its just people searching for every reason possible to hate this move.

CL82

Reaction Score
They might not have to pay the full 30 all at once? Get an invitation first then they can figure it out.
Does anyone know the required notice provision for exiting the Big East? If we join for the 2027 season, the exit fee drops to $15 million.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
You seem to be against the move,
I am for exploring all options before making a significant move that is hard to undo.

If there is a possibility that in the near future... before 2036...some form of the ACC is an option, that needs to be explored.

If there is a possibility the Big12 will continue to lose schools to other conferences, that needs to be understood.

If UConn's decision makers decide after weighing out all options that the Big 12 is the right move...I will trust they did their leg work and I will fully support the move.

Reaction Score
I am for exploring all options before making a significant move that is hard to undo.

If there is a possibility that in the near future... before 2036...some form of the ACC is an option, that needs to be explored.

If there is a possibility the Big12 will continue to lose schools to other conferences, that needs to be understood.

If UConn's decision makers decide after weighing out all options that the Big 12 is the right move...I will trust they did their leg work and I will fully support the move.
All im saying it was widely understood, that the move back to the Big East to reestablish the BB brand to make us more attractive to the P5. Hurley did that much faster than anyone anticipated and now everyone is scared to continue on the initial plan because they fear what happened in the AAC. But you always have to remember that move was a step backwards from BCS to G5. UConn and couldn't have been prepared to how dramatic a drop off that was.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know the required notice provision for exiting the Big East? If we join for the 2027 season, the exit fee drops to $15 million.
Don't think it's in there. If I recall correctly this just covers the elevated exit fees as an overlay to existing conference rules. I think he have to go to Conference bylaws.
My bad… I thought that had the By-Laws as an attachment. I believe it’s 27 months.

Reaction Score

I hear you, but suppose they are farther along than we think. And UConn gets a B12 offer next week. Leaving aside that these offers are never made unless it is privately known that the answer will be YES, let's just say that the offer is made next week and will expire on the fourth of July. What would be your answer given that you will not have all the information you just said you wanted. This is what happens in the real world.

My answer would be yes based on what we know today. Waiting for all the information you want is almost never an option in the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom