Big 12 Speculation Will Hurt Recruiting | The Boneyard

Big 12 Speculation Will Hurt Recruiting

Reaction Score
Not sure many tri-state kids will want to be playing in Colorado….none of this is good for for our hoops.
Good thing None of our top 8 recruiting targets are from the tri state

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s a real concern. What top HS kid would want to play against Kansas, Houston, Iowa State, Arizona, and Baylor?
We would all miss the Big East tournament at MSG, for my money it's the best thing in sports but it's less than a week out of the year. We're not recruiting regionally so they can all have their family and friends at The Garden for 4 days. We're a national/international program and the best one going. MSG would still remain our home away from home with a move and the Big 12 would he ridiculously loaded for basketball.

Reaction Score
We would all miss the Big East tournament at MSG, for my money it's the best thing in sports but it's less than a week out of the year. We're not recruiting regionally so they can all have their family and friends at The Garden for 4 days. We're a national/international program and the best one going. MSG would still remain our home away from home with a move and the Big 12 would he ridiculously loaded for basketball.
Yeah, our rivalries in the NBE are wildly overstated by some nostalgic fans. I agree with you. The BE tournament in MSG (and games against Nova if they were to get back to a decent spot) are pretty much all I’d miss. No doubt if we ended up in the B12, we (and probably Yormark) would be looking for ways to play in MSG.

Reaction Score
Not sure many tri-state kids will want to be playing in Colorado….none of this is good for for our hoops.
Pretty sure they would like the exposure Big 12 offers. More scouts at Big 12 also. Tristen Newton is from El Paso. Big reason for recent success.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Recruiting for the revenue sports will increasingly depend on payrolls. Coaching, travel distance and opponents will be factors, but money will drive the decision.

For non-revenue sports, I think these far flung conferences will become increasingly unattractive to recruits. What volleyball player wants to play a mid-week match 1500 miles away? They are at school to go to school, and volleyball or whatever sport is an extra-curricular. I think the big programs will have to pay meaningful NIL to these athletes if they want to compete, because if there is no NIL, why would an athlete commit to travel all over the country every year?

Reaction Score
Recruiting for the revenue sports will increasingly depend on payrolls. Coaching, travel distance and opponents will be factors, but money will drive the decision.

For non-revenue sports, I think these far flung conferences will become increasingly unattractive to recruits. What volleyball player wants to play a mid-week match 1500 miles away? They are at school to go to school, and volleyball or whatever sport is an extra-curricular. I think the big programs will have to pay meaningful NIL to these athletes if they want to compete, because if there is no NIL, why would an athlete commit to travel all over the country every year?
Hard to argue with that. If I were a non-revenue sport D1 athlete the SEC would easily be my top choice conference. It’s the only power conference that still makes sense geographically.

Reaction Score
No it wont. We have the top coach in the country and would be in a top conference. Quality of opponents would be better and we’d make more money. It’s not the AAC. SMH.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score

Volleyball doesn’t really play mid-week games, they are all on the weekend with the exception of a home-and-home with Providence on Wednesday nights. Track doesn’t even have conference matches, they just attend a bunch of invitationals all season before the conference championships… their schedule wouldn’t have to change at all. Big12 is not going to change their overall travel as much as you’d think.

Reaction Score
It could all be simplified if we kept the regional conferences for all the minor sports and just had football, men's and women's basketball and maybe baseball in the new B1G conference.

We already do something similar in hockey and it makes no sense to chase games against major opponents in sports that draw few fans and generate little to no revenue.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Volleyball doesn’t really play mid-week games, they are all on the weekend with the exception of a home-and-home with Providence on Wednesday nights. Track doesn’t even have conference matches, they just attend a bunch of invitationals all season before the conference championships… their schedule wouldn’t have to change at all. Big12 is not going to change their overall travel as much as you’d think.

I literally just had drinks in the last month with a guy whose kid runs track and passed on several D1 scholarships and chose D2 because of travel.

It is not a remotely difficult decision for these STUDENT-athletes. They are there for school, and fly commercial and don't want to travel all over the country. Anyone who argues otherwise is arguing for the sake of arguing.

Reaction Score
I literally just had drinks in the last month with a guy whose kid runs track and passed on several D1 scholarships and chose D2 because of travel.

It is not a remotely difficult decision for these STUDENT-athletes. They are there for school, and fly commercial and don't want to travel all over the country. Anyone who argues otherwise is arguing for the sake of arguing.
And lining up behind that same kid are several who'll snap up that scholarship gladly.

Reaction Score

If your friend's kid literally passed up D1 schollies because of travel, he's probably not the barometer you think he is.

Reaction Score
It might hurt recruiting for other smaller sports, but definitely not basketball. We're the best program in the country that would be playing in the undisputed best basketball conference in the country. What are we even talking about here?

Reaction Score
If your friend's kid literally passed up D1 schollies because of travel, he's probably not the barometer you think he is.
reality is they probably weren't a scholarship player regardless. While D1 and D2 can give scholarships they aren't many to come by at either level.

The few scant times I've looked at those types of schedules is maybe there's 1-2 more events a season that require a bit more travel than D2. However, the point that it doesn't follow along the conference lines is true and Big East for the running sports may as well be in the Big 12, functionally. Its not like you're running dual meets like high schoolers. You mostly run regional events. UConn will compete as often against Keene State in a year as they will against Butler or potentially Baylor. The big meets of the year will be against participants Central Connecticut, Boston University, Yale, or Albany.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Have I successfully trolled people into arguing that Olympic sports athletes want more travel and to miss more class? I am better at this than I thought.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom