OT: - Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Big 12 signs new media deal - $2.28 billion over 6 years

Reaction Score
I was originally replying to @zls44 comment directed at @Stinger92860 where he used "national brand" of athletics; not just basketball.

Basketball is obviously on much more even footing, but the growing disparity in revenue between P5 schools and BE schools will make it harder to sign and retain coaching staffs and/or continually invest in facilities.

We're obviously in a good position now with respect to basketball, but the tv dollar gap between us and Rutgers over the next decade is just going to be preposterous at a level of say ~$600M to ~$80M. Is it sustainable for UConn to extend quality coaching in light of that ever growing disparity.. hopefully.
I can’t tell if you’re a Rutgers, Syracuse, or Pitt fan. I’m guessing Syracuse

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Well, the Big East was destroyed and its parts were distributed all over the college sports landscape.

Did you think you were making a winning argument here?
Did it survive as a major basketball conference with a great TV deal?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Uh, no.
Visibility wise yes and the deal is similar to the basketball portion of the other major conferences.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Visibility wise yes and the deal is similar to the basketball portion of the other major conferences.
And my income is similar to Bill Gates… up to a point. :rolleyes:

The big east was gutted and most of its valuable content was distributed to other conferences where withered on the vine. Some of the remaining schools bound together and formed a new conference that makes pennies on the dollar compared to the major conferences. Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad to be here, but in all honesty it isn’t sustainable for the members schools if they intend to compete at the highest levels of the sport.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I can’t tell if you’re a Rutgers, Syracuse, or Pitt fan. I’m guessing Syracuse

You're right. The Big 10 paying league members annually what we'll pull in over the course of two decades is actually a good thing and won't effect the competitive landscape at all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

The deal does not even cover the cost of paying our basketball coaches…

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The deal does not even cover the cost of paying our basketball coaches…
Neither does the Olympic sports portion of the ACC, Big 12, or Pac-12 contracts.

Reaction Score
Nothing better than fans arguing/bragging about TV money that means nothing to them
This is why it’s so damn important.

Assuming this is from Mora’s Weekly Sunday Media availability:

Not sure @ this point what the actual question was to elicit the response but he’s clearly laying the financial groundwork/expectations…

(It’s a quick 1:46 listen)

Reaction Score
This is why it’s so damn important.
Going to take alot more than that TV money to fix things. Fans and the university need to step it up.

BC gets more TV money than us. How’s that working for them?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Going to take alot more than that TV money to fix things. Fans and the university need to step it up.

In terms of their financials? It’s pretty well, actually. BCU ends up with over 30 million a year more in revenue annually. That shortfall ends up being paid for by state of Connecticut taxpayers. Media money matters.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Lol…Actually, TV money would fix darn near everything. UConn is defying the odds on a lot of fronts given how crap the revenue currently is. Give them another $35M in non-taxpayer revenue and let’s see what happens.

But “fans arguing about revenue” is a newly fashionable take, so have at it.

Neither does the Olympic sports portion of the ACC, Big 12, or Pac-12 contracts.

I hate to say this….you are painfully stupid.

There is no “Olympic sports portion” of their contracts. They have contracts and those contracts result in revenue that is 10 times the size of ours.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying it wouldn't help out. It would a lot. But it wouldn't completely change the athletic department. Fans have to start donating/buying tickets more and the university has to invest/support athletics more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom