Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux! | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pushing For UConn Part Deux!

Reaction Score
Among fans of men's basketball, very few do, however, Brett Yormark has specifically mentioned it as one of the Big 12 and, more importantly, one of our strengths.
Just to add on, a huge part of athletics is boosting overall application numbers and student quality, and a strong women's sports program can appeal to female applicants. Granted, nowhere near the impact of men's sports, but successful women's sports adds value.

Reaction Score
Dumb dumb dumb. Especially with Oklahoma and Texas leaving the big 12 will be just like a souped up a AAC —- no thank you
A souped up AAC? For basketball, you have Kansas, Houston and others. The Big12 is not a souped up AAC, the AAC wishes it was a twin to the Big 12. Comparing the AAC to the Big 12 is like comparing a rusted out Yugo to a new Lamborghini, both are cars, but that's it...

Reaction Score
And there’s also some reasons why it is not a good move right now. Who the hell’s in the big 12 ? Kansas (if they stay) Kansas State, West Virginia(program will falter with huggie gone)TCU, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Nebraska -yawn. Again aac all over again with the way things r trending. Hopefully we ve learned our lesson. Things are so ridiculous now.
That is something, the B1G is kicking Nebraska out for UConn! JB75 must have some insider knowledge! :p

Reaction Score
To be fair, he brings it up as though we presented a hypothetical move that might happen. Vernon’s tweet is worded as though we’re saying it’s in motion already. That either means it’s progressed substantially since the first quote, or there’s some miscommunication happening.
Yeah. Or, maybe, we should all stop pretending that we think that football coaches, high school football players and internet bloggers use words with the same precision that lawyers would in a contract or brief.

Reaction Score
He can sell it but we'll be the outsiders playing in a conference that's centered around the Plains. If you think Big East refs have it out for us just wait until we play at Allen Fieldhouse this season. Being a geographic and cultural outsider will be a factor, travel will be a factor, losing the Garden will be a factor etc. It's not something we can't overcome and still be great/dominant but it's all a factor IMO. The Big East is the best place for UConn basketball, it's a shame how the landscape has completely changed/been ruined in college sports.
The Big East might be the best place for basketball, however, you basketball fans only need to realize that we will be getting more money to upgrade our athletics department. All you guys care about is basketball, which I don't believe will be downgraded. Some of you basketball fans wish we didn't have a football team, so we can stay in the BE. Maybe you should watch the Avery Point basketball team - Go Pointers! They don't have a football team.

The Big East is not for us...we are a state university, not a private Catholic University.

Reaction Score
St John's?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

Reaction Score
I’m utterly perplexed by the love affair with a$7M year basketball conference. Numb nuts want to throw away $30 million year in a P5 conference for sentimentality. Certifiable.
Because we win national championships in the Big East. I really don’t want to become Pitt, Syracuse, or BC, even if they get football money.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Because we win national championships in the Big East. I really don’t want to become Pitt, Syracuse, or BC, even if they get football money.
Lol you lack little faith in our coaches our AD support. We have first class everything. We’re not those chitty schools. We’re UConn. We win.

Reaction Score
It's going to happen. Yormark has already stated that he wants to have a separate basketball contract for the Big 12 and he wants to expand the footprint on the east coast.

He's not trying to convince the Big 12 football schools. He knows that the Big 12 will never be on the same football level as the SEC or B1G 10 but he can have a solid football conference and the best basketball conference.

The guy has a media background and East coast roots. He's going to negotiate media rights similarly to the NFL by having games on several networks, and by expanding on both the east and west coast, the Big 12 can potentially have games on TV all day in all four time zones

That's the problem the the PAC 12 was having in negotiating media rights when their first games start at 2 or 3 pm on the east coast. The SEC's already played most of their games by then.

UConn will get an invite, we just have to be patient. Yormark is waiting for the PAC 12 media rights to be determined. Everybody knows that the PAC 12 numbers will be much lower due to UCLA and USC leaving for the B1G 10. The remaining universities need to budget for their athletic departments for next fiscal year. There's no deal in place, and PAC 12 commissioner Klaibkof has already stated that media rights will not be discussed during the PAC 12 media days on July 21st.

Something has to give, the question is, does the Big 12 go to 12 or 14 teams.

My thoughts are that they pick up Colorado and UConn and then add AZ and another PAC 12 defector. Ultimately, if the ACC breaks up, the Big 12 will take a couple more teams and stop at 16, but going to 20 with 4 pods of 5 teams is also possible.

Duke and Virginia Tech maybe.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
It's going to happen. Yormark has already stated that he wants to have a separate basketball contract for the Big 12 and he wants to expand the footprint on the east coast.

He's not trying to convince the Big 12 football schools. He knows that the Big 12 will never be on the same football level as the SEC or B1G 10 but he can have a solid football conference and the best basketball conference.

The guy has a media background and East coast roots. He's going to negotiate media rights similarly to the NFL by having games on several networks, and by expanding on both the east and west coast, the Big 12 can potentially have games on TV all day in all four time zones

That's the problem the the PAC 12 was having in negotiating media rights when their first games start at 2 or 3 pm on the east coast. The SEC's already played most of their games by then.

UConn will get an invite, we just have to be patient. Yormark is waiting for the PAC 12 media rights to be determined. Everybody knows that the PAC 12 numbers will be much lower due to UCLA and USC leaving for the B1G 10. The remaining universities need to budget for their athletic departments for next fiscal year. There's no deal in place, and PAC 12 commissioner Klaibkof has already stated that media rights will not be discussed during the PAC 12 media days on July 21st.

Something has to give, the question is, does the Big 12 go to 12 or 14 teams.

My thoughts are that they pick up Colorado and UConn and then add AZ and another PAC 12 defector. Ultimately, if the ACC breaks up, the Big 12 will take a couple more teams and stop at 16, but going to 20 with 4 pods of 5 teams is also possible.

Duke and Virginia Tech maybe.
They are already at 12 (after OU / TX depart). He said he wants 14 at a min. I’d like for us to be team 13 or 14 so we aren’t left competing with Arizona, Pitt, Louisville Syracuse, Utah, ASU, etc for spots 15 or 16.

Edit, although if I had to make a prediction, my guess is they would eventually try to get to 20 teams.

Reaction Score
The way the current CBS NCAA contract works is that the more teams you have in the tournament the more units the conference receives for payout.

Adding good basketball teams is naturally going to add more revenue and the next NCAA basketball deal is supposed to be much bigger.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We win national championships in the AAC as well

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Evidently we aren't the program that Kansas is. Hell, we aren't even the program that Baylor is, they both were able to win national titles very recently as members of the Big 12, something that is obviously so difficult many in our fan base believe we aren't capable of doing.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
A souped up AAC? For basketball, you have Kansas, Houston and others. The Big12 is not a souped up AAC, the AAC wishes it was a twin to the Big 12. Comparing the AAC to the Big 12 is like comparing a rusted out Yugo to a new Lamborghini, both are cars, but that's it...
Houston, Cincy and UCF were all AAC schools dontchaknow. Should we join, that's another . An undeniable AAC connection

We're all floundering together :)

What we have is the most national titles (in MBB, WBB and all of sports) outside the P5 conferences. That has to be leveraged along with the Northeast market and excellent academics

Do we have a PR firm? If yes, maybe we need another

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom