Big 12 Presidents arriving in NYC, will discuss expansion at some point | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Presidents arriving in NYC, will discuss expansion at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
JM will show up. He and Neinas can have a cordial chat- and include Swofford by teleconference- about the current state of conference realignment. Then Swofford can covertly discuss ACC membership with UConn right afterward.
If there's chicken parm and sauce bolognese over fettucine JM will show up.

Reaction Score
If that was true, Notre Dame would already be in another conference. The other leagues are drawing lines of what they will tolerate from the Irish and what they won't.

Same with Texas. The Texahoma traveling road show this summer resulted in two teams leaving the Big 12 that weren't Texas or Oklahoma.

I think he means Notre Dame can join as a full member, treated the same as everyone else. Ditto for Texas. But neither wants to be an equal sharing partner at this time.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I really hope the Big 12 comes for Rutgers, because that will force the ACC's hand in a way that no amount of begging harder by Herbst would ever do. If it looks like Rutgers will be gone forever, the ACC may make a move, and UConn might be able to tag along. It would be ironic if Herbst's public shopping of the university accomplished nothing but being Rutgers' beatch was our salvation.
You need to explain this in a bit more detail.

Reaction Score
You need to explain this in a bit more detail.

If B12 grabs Rutgers, a big New York market program is gone. The ACC might then move on UConn as a hedge. I think the ACC realizes Rutgers in the B12 makes no sense unless UCONN comes too. The ACC probably finds it hard to believe that the B12 would come that far east anyway so they aren't worried about it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If B12 grabs Rutgers, a big New York market program is gone. The ACC might then move on UConn as a hedge. I think the ACC realizes Rutgers in the B12 makes no sense unless UCONN comes too. The ACC probably finds it hard to believe that the B12 would come that far east anyway so they aren't worried about it.

Basically, if it looks like the Big 12 will take Rutgers, the ACC may have its hand forced, and would probably add Rutgers and UConn rather than continue to wait for ND. The ACC probably can't even wait for Rutgers to get the offer, because by that point, it is probably too late.

It would be major egg on Swofford's face if another major got a foothold in the NY Market because he was hoping Notre Dame would show up.

Reaction Score
Basically, if it looks like the Big 12 will take Rutgers, the ACC may have its hand forced, and would probably add Rutgers and UConn rather than continue to wait for ND. The ACC probably can't even wait for Rutgers to get the offer, because by that point, it is probably too late.

It would be major egg on Swofford's face if another major got a foothold in the NY Market because he was hoping Notre Dame would show up.

The ACC can take Rutgers away from the Big12 any time it wants. Big12 is an unstable league that will collapse. Rutgers wouldn't stay in the Big12 unless it had too.

Then again, I couldn't understand the ACC's move this summer when it picked off Pittsburgh because they were talking to the B12, as though Pitt wouldn't have picked up and left for the ACC at any time, so you might be right.

These schools will use the B12 the way TCU used the BE.

Reaction Score
The ACC can take Rutgers away from the Big12 any time it wants. Big12 is an unstable league that will collapse. Rutgers wouldn't stay in the Big12 unless it had too.

Then again, I couldn't understand the ACC's move this summer when it picked off Pittsburgh because they were talking to the B12, as though Pitt wouldn't have picked up and left for the ACC at any time, so you might be right.

These schools will use the B12 the way TCU used the BE.

They won't necessarily jump to leave the B12 and pay a big exit fee to move to an ACC that is weaker in football and vulnerable to SEC poaching. Its better that the ACC not let it get to that point.

Reaction Score
Big 12 $'s > ACC $'s, for now at least.

But travel costs have to be much higher for an Eastern team. That likely offsets any financial gain. There also remains the stability issue of the Big 12. I don't think they're that unstable, but should Texas leave, it will really hurt. And that is possible, although unlikely in the near future. Combined, the ACC seems like a much better fit if Rutgers is choosing.

Honestly, I don't see Rutgers and the Big 12 being that big of a risk. While I would think Rutgers would take any BCS AQ conference over the Big East (as West Virginia did), I'm not sure the feeling is mutual. The Big 12 may not go to 12 anytime soon, and they certainly are not going over 12. Louisville seems like the obvious first choice, with Rutgers seemingly down the list for #2. And let's face it, if Rutgers brought any sizable TV market presence, they would have been scooped up by someone else long ago.

I don't see how any of this forces the ACC. If Rutgers goes, they still could explore a UConn/ND expansion. Not sure anything happens w/o Notre Dame anyway. I don't see how UConn/Rutgers brings enough to the table to push the ACC to move forward. And it's always financially better to wait for Notre Dame if there's a remote possibility they may join the conference.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
But travel costs have to be much higher for an Eastern team. That likely offsets any financial gain. There also remains the stability issue of the Big 12. I don't think they're that unstable, but should Texas leave, it will really hurt. And that is possible, although unlikely in the near future. Combined, the ACC seems like a much better fit if Rutgers is choosing.

Honestly, I don't see Rutgers and the Big 12 being that big of a risk. While I would think Rutgers would take any BCS AQ conference over the Big East (as West Virginia did), I'm not sure the feeling is mutual. The Big 12 may not go to 12 anytime soon, and they certainly are not going over 12. Louisville seems like the obvious first choice, with Rutgers seemingly down the list for #2. And let's face it, if Rutgers brought any sizable TV market presence, they would have been scooped up by someone else long ago.

I don't see how any of this forces the ACC. If Rutgers goes, they still could explore a UConn/ND expansion. Not sure anything happens w/o Notre Dame anyway. I don't see how UConn/Rutgers brings enough to the table to push the ACC to move forward. And it's always financially better to wait for Notre Dame if there's a remote possibility they may join the conference.

Either the Big 12 wants Rutgers or not. Your opinion or my opinion of Rutgers' value is irrelevant. Several members of the Big 12 have already targeted Rutgers over Cincinnati if the Big 12 expands to 12. That is all that matters.

Now it is a question of whether the Big 12 is prepared to do anything about it. I think over half the Big 12 schools would go to 14 and take Cincinnati, Louisville, Rutgers and UConn tomorrow if they could, as insurance against an inevitable Texas departure. It appears Texas would rather no one have insurance, and instead be dependent on Texas' good graces. We shall see what happens.

The ACC's approach to UConn and Rutgers is simple. They will take those two when they have to, and not a day before. Unless someone else forces the ACC's hand, they ACC will do nothing and hope UConn and Rutgers whither away and become Rice. What the ACC absolutely can NOT have happen is another major take one or both. That would be a disaster for the league that just added Syracuse and Pitt and their shrinking markets.

I think if it looks like UConn and Rutgers will survive in a NNBE or some other league, the ACC will add them. I think everyone realizes that ND is yanking EVERYONE's chain, as usual.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Clearly the B12 doesn't want a Northern team. They've all but passed state legislation: "Yankees Go Home--The South's going to do it again." They are stuck with Iowa State.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom