Big 12 Presidents arriving in NYC, will discuss expansion at some point | The Boneyard

Big 12 Presidents arriving in NYC, will discuss expansion at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Big 12 Presidents are on the move today ahead of their planned gathering in NYC:

schulz-12-thumb_normal.jpg

kstate_pres Kirk H. Schulz

I am back in NYC at same hotel as for the Pinstripe Bowl - I saluted as soon as I arrived ....

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman writes that they will discuss expansion:

image_1859483_normal.jpg

kbohls kbohls

Big 12 administrators are expected to talk about future expansion during the trip to NYC for Hall of Fame dinner next week.

I wonder if we'll see some Louisville/Rutgers/Cincinatti rumors pop up after they meet?

I can see John Marinatto showing up at their meeting, a big old white flag in hand, waving it madly. When he gets tired, maybe Rick Pitino could spell him for a few seconds and wave it for him?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The Big 12 Presidents are on the move today ahead of their planned gathering in NYC:

schulz-12-thumb_normal.jpg

kstate_pres Kirk H. Schulz

I am back in NYC at same hotel as for the Pinstripe Bowl - I saluted as soon as I arrived ....

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American Statesman writes that they will discuss expansion:

image_1859483_normal.jpg

kbohls kbohls

Big 12 administrators are expected to talk about future expansion during the trip to NYC for Hall of Fame dinner next week.

I wonder if we'll see some Louisville/Rutgers/Cincinatti rumors pop up after they meet?

I can see John Marinatto showing up at their meeting, a big old white flag in hand, waving it madly. When he gets tired, maybe Rick Pitino could spell him for a few seconds and wave it for him?
LOL

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
marinate is attending, but only for the pasta dinner.

Reaction Score
Good. Blow up the BE. RU out of the way. ND needs a conference for their other sports. UConn and ND to the ACC. Finally, I can rest.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If JM was smart, he'd work to have the B12 take all five FB schools off his hands.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
If JM was smart, he'd work to have the B12 take all five FB schools off his hands.

I'm still not sure why the B12 doesn't like this idea.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Because two of them are much too far away and are not a fit with how the Big XII sees itself.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
JM will show up. He and Neinas can have a cordial chat- and include Swofford by teleconference- about the current state of conference realignment. Then Swofford can covertly discuss ACC membership with UConn right afterward.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

They see the big east schools as being below Kansas and Baylor in terms of FB.

I began lurking on landthieves, the OU board in the run up to the Fiesta Bowl and still check it from time to time. They are not happy about WV joining or being stuck in the B12, but see it as a necessary evil. Forget UL and Cincy.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
They see the big east schools as being below Kansas and Baylor in terms of FB.

I began lurking on landthieves, the OU board in the run up to the Fiesta Bowl and still check it from time to time. They are not happy about WV joining or being stuck in the B12, but see it as a necessary evil. Forget UL and Cincy.

From a fan point of view that is why the B12 shouldn't be taking any BE teams. But from a business point of view, with a conference that is about to implode, combining with the BE football teams would offer a lot of stability, with the added potential of increasing markets and media contracts. And it would increase the odds that it survives and the ACC doesn't.

Naturally, a diluted product brings no value to the table. But the BE has proven with the likes of Louisville and Cinci, that teams can elevate their game when given an opportunity. So the possibility is that the BE schools can become competitive if they joined the B12.

I think the reason the B12 hasn't proposed this is because Texas isn't interested in the survival of the B12 long term and therefore has vetoed this move.

All the actions by the B12 are about short term solutions - survival for a few years and not about making the conference viable for the medium and distant future. If they did they would never have lost Colorado, Nebraska, A&M or Missouri. From a football sports position, they had every opportunity to rival the SEC. And they had a better bb product. Furthermore they had decent markets. But something, imo Texas, cast all of that aside and essentially destroyed a great product.

So if Texas had no interest in ensuring the contentment of its long term partners, partners who brought more to the table than WV, Ville and Cinci, why does anyone think they care about those schools long term or any merger with the BE or even the survival of the B12. The hand writing is on the wall for the B12. It's just about when and not if.

Reaction Score

i don't know about a flag. aren't roses more his style?

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
i don't know about a flag. aren't roses more his style?
flag or roses, he's only gonna be able to keep it up for about 7 seconds...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Texas does care all that much, but what I don't get is why the others don't see this as a logical move. suddenly if Texas goes to the PAC or independent with their Longhorn network, it doesn't almost matter. Sure maybe you lose a big name, but you can survive pretty well...I have always thought the existing Big East to the B-12 just makes so much sense. And all you really need is one school to take that last big step and become a major player likeVaTech did, or Miami did in the 1980s, or TCU or Boise are doing now, and it isn't impossible to think we or cincy or Louisville take that step. Then you have a real power conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Good. Blow up the BE. RU out of the way. ND needs a conference for their other sports. UConn and ND to the ACC. Finally, I can rest.

You and I are on the same exact page.

Light this duck*er on fire.

Reaction Score
From a fan point of view that is why the B12 shouldn't be taking any BE teams. But from a business point of view, with a conference that is about to implode, combining with the BE football teams would offer a lot of stability, with the added potential of increasing markets and media contracts. And it would increase the odds that it survives and the ACC doesn't.

Naturally, a diluted product brings no value to the table. But the BE has proven with the likes of Louisville and Cinci, that teams can elevate their game when given an opportunity. So the possibility is that the BE schools can become competitive if they joined the B12.

I think the reason the B12 hasn't proposed this is because Texas isn't interested in the survival of the B12 long term and therefore has vetoed this move.

All the actions by the B12 are about short term solutions - survival for a few years and not about making the conference viable for the medium and distant future. If they did they would never have lost Colorado, Nebraska, A&M or Missouri. From a football sports position, they had every opportunity to rival the SEC. And they had a better bb product. Furthermore they had decent markets. But something, imo Texas, cast all of that aside and essentially destroyed a great product.

So if Texas had no interest in ensuring the contentment of its long term partners, partners who brought more to the table than WV, Ville and Cinci, why does anyone think they care about those schools long term or any merger with the BE or even the survival of the B12. The hand writing is on the wall for the B12. It's just about when and not if.

I believe that the number is 6 years. That's the agreed time on media rights. I'm sure that Texas believes that their LHN will be well established by then, so why would they care who comes in.? It's all short term anyway.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Texas does care all that much, but what I don't get is why the others don't see this as a logical move. suddenly if Texas goes to the PAC or independent with their Longhorn network, it doesn't almost matter. Sure maybe you lose a big name, but you can survive pretty well...I have always thought the existing Big East to the B-12 just makes so much sense. And all you really need is one school to take that last big step and become a major player likeVaTech did, or Miami did in the 1980s, or TCU or Boise are doing now, and it isn't impossible to think we or cincy or Louisville take that step. Then you have a real power conference.
That is the million dollar question. It would be a smart move. I would suggest that a lot of the other universities in the B12 don't have leverage in the matter. They can't leave the conference and they can't dictate terms to Texas. They are indecisive and are hoping things turn out well and afraid of starting something they can't finish. The universities that had some value are gone or are going. The only other university with choices remaining, outside of Texas, is OU and they are hoping that Texas changes it's plans for the future.

OU can afford to do this because they get the money from the current media contract, and they know, with a fair degree of certainty, they can get into a stable conference if circumstances don't change with Texas. But this gambit between OU and Texas is coming at the expense of the remaining members in the B12 and the BE conference.

OU does not care about the damage it and Texas are doing to the other B12 members and to the BE. I suspect OU is the university who is leaking all the stuff to keep the BE off balance. It is the university driving the wedge to keep the NBE from forming. OU has decided to play this out to the last moment to determine if they can get Texas to budge on the six year commitment and the move to twelve teams. If they can then expect Ville and Cinci to get the invite. If they can't get Texas to budge on either of these issues, then expect them to head to the PAC. In the end I expect Texas does not budge and OU abandons the B12.

The time line for OU will end when the BE gets close to being able to negotiate a new media contract. Unless, of course, if the ACC, or another conference makes a move before that contract comes up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If I keep saying this, perhaps someone will listen.

The Big 12 doesn't need to leak anything to keep the Big East 'off balance'. It simply doesn't matter. They can act with complete indifference for anything the Big East might do.

They can split this conference apart with a phone call now or next year or the year after that or...

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

The Big 12 doesn't need to leak anything to keep the Big East 'off balance'. It simply doesn't matter. They can act with complete indifference for anything the Big East might do.

They can split this conference apart with a phone call now or next year or the year after that or...

Yup. As could any of the other conferences, that's why the idea of a stable BE FB conference is moot.

Reaction Score

But, the Big12 might be worried about how they might fare in a world without automatic qualifiers. While 2 or 3 other conferences grab multiple high-paying bowls, the best the B12 can hope for is that UO and Texas are good in the same year. With the BE out of the picture, suddenly the AQ is more appealing again for the hogs.

Reaction Score
I really don't get why the B12 wouldn't want to scoop up UConn, RU, Cinci, and Louisville at least. If they were to do that they would probably be the most popular conference in the Northeast. They have already said that ND can join without football too, so really they could make it work on so many levels if there was the will to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Agree with the RU to B12 sentiments. That would be great for us. We would then be a shoe-in for the ACC whenever they decide to expand - be it in 2, 5, 10 years.

ctchamps

Reaction Score

I agree the Big East is "off balance" and I agree the B12 could let the BE do whatever it wants and just swoop in to grab teams. But the B12 is not taking any chances and OU is most likely the university behind this. Otherwise explain why every move the BE has made recently has had a statement coming from the B12 that impacts invitees decisions.

There is something going on between OU and Texas and this in not super science given the recent desertion of B12 teams. OU is trying to keep its relationship with Texas because of the advantages that relationship offers. But they will make a switch if Texas continues to insist on it current course.

The PAC rejected the four pack. IMO the rejection was because they didn't want to inherit the Texas LHN. It destroyed the B12 and they don't want any part of it. If OU can't convince Texas to go to 12 teams and to change the limit from 6 years to a much bigger number, then OU will go back to the PAC with their toadie in tow and receive an invite. I believe the time they have given themselves is when the BE contract comes up for negotiation or if the other conferences make additional moves.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're overrating Oklahoma and underrating the PAC 12.

The PAC 12 has no use for Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Without Texas, Oklahoma cannot go to the PAC 12 - they have zero leverage.

The PAC 12 with the best television contract on this side of the NFL can never make another move and be just fine.

On the flip side, if you ever want to see a school that stepped in s***, it's Utah.

How duck*ed up is it that UConn is in dire straits and Utah is going to be making $21M a year in TV cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom