Big 12 Pausing Expansion | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Big 12 Pausing Expansion

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Try reading it again.

Recently the arguments have been about the sixth, seventh, eighth school from say the B1G, ACC, whatever vs the third or fourth school from the A-10, MWC. In a decade it will be the 14th B1G vs the third Big East.

If you don't believe that this is what the plan is I don't know what to tell you.

If the resume is better, so be it.

Reaction Score
Are we not repeatedly setting Application records and enrollment records on a yearly basis these days? And we are able to do this all without the affiliation with the mighty Big12 conference*? Seems to me out state flagship university credentials and aspirations are in a great spot right now.

*A conference by the way that is made up of Universities so far beneath UConn academically that we would probably take a ding by joining on that front.
a state flagship like New Hampshire, Rhode Island or SUNY, yet with better academics.

Reaction Score
No. I think it was an opinion of his. One that happens to be held by many. It wasn't an outlandish opinion and it wasn't Sabatoging in the slightest nor was it intended as such. He shared a personal sentiment that I'm sure echoed with a lot of his constituents. And didn't echo with others. That's fine. Luckily he is a politician and has thick skin when it comes to disagreements and vitriol because the resulting thread and attacks directed at him by those who didn't share that opinion were probably the most embarrassed I've ever felt being a UConn fan.

and until someone proves to me otherwise, I think I will decline subscribing to all the conspiracy theories about this "original leak" because even if there was a leak, I have yet to be shown any evidence of it being born of anything other than some loser plying info for "in the know" clout.

But that original twitter thread did bring me some enjoyment. Because along with the attacks came heaping amounts of "mansplaining" conference realignment and why the earth is going to turn into a ball of ice and hurl into the sun if UConn doesnt get this Big12 invite by a bunch of dopes who think they understand anything about anything. You know me Jmick, Im always up for watching people make Scalitos of themselves , a mansplaining record may have been set. It's so prevalent with this topic there needs to be it's own term for it. ConfSplaining or ReAlignmentSplaining or something.
Please. The dude is a senator and was chiming in with an opinion counter to the opinion of the governor and University while the university was actively engaging with the Big XII. If he didn't realize the weight of what he said then he's just an idiot. Is Chris Murphy going to step up with $20m annually to cover the cost of revenue sharing?

Reaction Score
Are we not repeatedly setting Application records and enrollment records on a yearly basis these days? And we are able to do this all without the affiliation with the mighty Big12 conference*? Seems to me out state flagship university credentials and aspirations are in a great spot right now.

*A conference by the way that is made up of Universities so far beneath UConn academically that we would probably take a ding by joining on that front.
gotta build some friggin dorms though!

Reaction Score
if it comes to that it definitely puts us in our place as a state flagship university with big national aspirations.
it really shouldnt bother you this much. your self-esteem and happiness is not dependent on UConn being in one of three random collections of college football teams.

Reaction Score
I'm not talking about you. But you don't think Murphy's tweet was sabotage? Or the original leak?
It's certainly not helpful, the guy is clueless on this stuff and an attention seeker of the highest order.

Reaction Score
No. I think it was an opinion of his. One that happens to be held by many. It wasn't an outlandish opinion and it wasn't Sabatoging in the slightest nor was it intended as such. He shared a personal sentiment that I'm sure echoed with a lot of his constituents. And didn't echo with others. That's fine. Luckily he is a politician and has thick skin when it comes to disagreements and vitriol because the resulting thread and attacks directed at him by those who didn't share that opinion were probably the most embarrassed I've ever felt being a UConn fan.

and until someone proves to me otherwise, I think I will decline subscribing to all the conspiracy theories about this "original leak" because even if there was a leak, I have yet to be shown any evidence of it being born of anything other than some loser plying info for "in the know" clout.

But that original twitter thread did bring me some enjoyment. Because along with the attacks came heaping amounts of "mansplaining" conference realignment and why the earth is going to turn into a ball of ice and hurl into the sun if UConn doesnt get this Big12 invite by a bunch of dopes who think they understand anything about anything. You know me Jmick, Im always up for watching people make Scalitos of themselves , a mansplaining record may have been set. It's so prevalent with this topic there needs to be it's own term for it. ConfSplaining or ReAlignmentSplaining or something.
Did Waylon hack your account?

Geezus

Reaction Score
Are we at the 2 arms lopped off or 2 arms and 2 legs stage?
different scene...we're at the point where the cart guy has to choose whether or not he does the guy holding 'not dead yet' guy a solid, puts him out of his misery and lets him throw the body on the cart...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If your are right about this August, why do Benedict and the university continue to allow themselves to be pantsed? Could they know more about what is coming than us?
How can someone arguing no one knows the future be emphatic that it’s idiotic to make an argument about the necessity of getting into a power conference?

There is factual evidence that the power conferences are less interested in a format of championships that is nationally popular if it means diluted revenue sharing.

The NCAA bb tournament is lucrative because of it’s popularity. Football is more popular than basketball. So why isn’t there a similar Division 1 football championship to ones that exist in basketball, baseball or Division 2 football? The media would give many multiples of money that they offer for the NCAA basketball tournament. The reason is it has been a monopoly for the power conferences going back to the bowl format. They have no intention of sharing revenue with other universities.

Once consolidation finishes they’ll continue to squeeze out those left behind in basketball. That’s their common goal. And the new changes such as NIL will likely make them accelerate the process.

Many of the basketball only fans laugh at Syracuse’s Helms trophies. The NIT has been reduced to insignificance for many of these fans. There is not much interest in following division 2 and division 3 programs. The fan base treated the last few years of the KO years like someone was cutting their testicles off.

They correctly correlate the success we’ve had in basketball with our association in the BE. But unfortunately they are not willing to recognize the machinations of the power conferences and what the result will be if UConn is no longer in the national spotlight because it’s playing in a second tier group.

All the bravado and pride of walking through airports or vacation destinations with our UConn gear will be reduced to insignificance. Our history of success will fade quickly because most fans need a new fix to sustain their happiness. Again read the fan’s reaction at the end of KO’s tenure. Or the amount of respect towards the basketball powers in the fifties and sixties that are no longer successful. That’s history. It quickly becomes irrelevant and no longer talked about by most fans.

That’s the potential fate of UConn basketball if we don’t get into a power conference. Is my argument an opinion. Certainly. But I believe it has merit.

There is a valid fear that leaving the BE can hurt our chances of success. At least we would be in the mix for getting the better players. Most of the fans in the men’s bb forum have a condescending attitude to the women’s team and game. I know how they’ll react if we are placed in an inferior position.

Reaction Score
How can someone arguing no one knows the future be emphatic that it’s idiotic to make an argument about the necessity of getting into a power conference?

There is factual evidence that the power conferences are less interested in a format of championships that is nationally popular if it means diluted revenue sharing.

The NCAA bb tournament is lucrative because of it’s popularity. Football is more popular than basketball. So why isn’t there a similar Division 1 football championship to ones that exist in basketball, baseball or Division 2 football? The media would give many multiples of money that they offer for the NCAA basketball tournament. The reason is it has been a monopoly for the power conferences going back to the bowl format. They have no intention of sharing revenue with other universities.

Once consolidation finishes they’ll continue to squeeze out those left behind in basketball. That’s their common goal. And the new changes such as NIL will likely make them accelerate the process.

Many of the basketball only fans laugh at Syracuse’s Helms trophies. The NIT has been reduced to insignificance for many of these fans. There is not much interest in following division 2 and division 3 programs. The fan base treated the last few years of the KO years like someone was cutting their testicles off.

They correctly correlate the success we’ve had in basketball with our association in the BE. But unfortunately they are not willing to recognize the machinations of the power conferences and what the result will be if UConn is no longer in the national spotlight because it’s playing in a second tier group.

All the bravado and pride of walking through airports or vacation destinations with our UConn gear will be reduced to insignificance. Our history of success will fade quickly because most fans need a new fix to sustain their happiness. Again read the fan’s reaction at the end of KO’s tenure. Or the amount of respect towards the basketball powers in the fifties and sixties that are no longer successful. That’s history. It quickly becomes irrelevant and no longer talked about by most fans.

That’s the potential fate of UConn basketball if we don’t get into a power conference. Is my argument an opinion. Certainly. But I believe it has merit.

There is a valid fear that leaving the BE can hurt our chances of success. At least we would be in the mix for getting the better players. Most of the fans in the men’s bb forum have a condescending attitude to the women’s team and game. I know how they’ll react if we are placed in an inferior position.
Only gonna tell you this once! Stop drunk posting at 135am!

Reaction Score
Only gonna tell you this once! Stop drunk posting at 135am!
So many problems with his/her post but I found this particularly weird, "Most of the fans in the men's bball forum have a condescending attitude to the women's team and game. I know how they'll react if we're placed in an inferior position."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
So many problems with his/her post but I found this particularly weird, "Most of the fans in the men's bball forum have a condescending attitude to the women's team and game. I know how they'll react if we're placed in an inferior position."
Take this post to the women’s forum!

All kidding aside I would wager that most of the fans interested in the men’s basketball team have little or no interest in the women’s team or in watching them. It’s not exciting for them.

It doesn’t arouse their male combative nature. Perhaps condescension is the wrong word. The point is UConn men’s basketball will lose the majority of it’s fans if the excitement of the game is focused in the power conference format in whatever form they choose. You know this. You expressed in this forum two weeks ago we needed desperately to get into the B12 or the program was doomed. With the pause you’ve turned to a position that everything must go to maintain the program.

We no longer have the BE playing the BIG or Big12 after 2025. It will be only a matter of time they will game who goes to tournaments like Maui. They will do everything to destroy any challenging programs from having success until they become autonomous. Most BE teams will not be getting the best players and just as quickly not have resumes that will support getting an NCAA bid.

This will be a quick death and your desperate recommendation will undermine and destroy any chance to keep the sport we most desire to continue at the forefront of it’s success and notoriety.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The FCS move make no sense. It is just basketball people sidelining football. There is no purpose to field a team at the fcs level as a state flagship with this profile. It would also take the construction of a new stadium on campus. You arent playing in the tent in the fcs

Perhaps they would knock down the werth center to make room for a stadium.

UConn is in a different class athletically than Maine, unh, New Hampshire ,Vermont and Rhode Island.

Reaction Score
There is a problem with that.

what conference would take us?
Only one would be CUSA. This story from 2021 says that CUSA contacted UConn about a football only membership.

According to Hearst’s Mike Anthony, UConn has had one exploratory conversation with the conference to join as a football-only member, but it was more of a due diligence effort than a pursuit of long-term home for football.

“It’s our duty to consider options when they are presented to us and we’re always going to do what is in the best interest of our football program,” athletic director David Benedict told Anthony Thursday night. “Period.”

Reaction Score
Only one would be CUSA. This story from 2021 says that CUSA contacted UConn about a football only membership.

According to Hearst’s Mike Anthony, UConn has had one exploratory conversation with the conference to join as a football-only member, but it was more of a due diligence effort than a pursuit of long-term home for football.

“It’s our duty to consider options when they are presented to us and we’re always going to do what is in the best interest of our football program,” athletic director David Benedict told Anthony Thursday night. “Period.”

CUSA is currently at 10 with Delaware and Missou State joining next year for 12. Delaware is an intriguing regional prospect, playing its final year in CAA but is not eligible for the playoffs and is not included in rankings. I know nobody wants to play in CUSA but it has been the premiere stepping-stone conference. Maybe it would be a workable conference for UConn Football for a few years to rebuild the foundation. I could see some programs like Delaware, Liberty, FIU, WKU, Midd Tenn, UTEP getting invites to other conferences if they have success in CUSA.

Reaction Score

Fans would never accept that. They would order Indy and the schedule we have, which is part cusa level, part mid and lower tier P5. I like UConn’s schedule. Good balance.

I know the nay sayers are gonna criticize a 7-5 UConn team for playing a lower rated schedule, but that is who they are., hopefully.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If your are right about this August, why do Benedict and the university continue to allow themselves to be pantsed? Could they know more about what is coming than us?
I'm starting to wonder that myself. Im trying real hard to not chalk it up to Athletic Department stupidity and incompetence, but I'm having a harder and harder time.

You can add in why hasn't Benedict jumped ship if the situation at UConn is futile?

Reaction Score
You can add in why hasn't Benedict jumped ship if the situation at UConn is futile?
This is so Connecticut. Everything doom and gloom.

Team is one of the ost recognizable brands in all of college sports. Right now, revenue is underperforming its peers. That’s it.

Football is gonna get better. If they get in a p4, they won’t be the worst football team in that league. Guarantee that.

Temple would kill to be In Our position, as would Memphis. You don’t see the big 12 asking for temple to get Philly market, do you?

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
If football is the ever loving driver of all things holy in college sports, it could that other Px schools don't think DB has the ability to oversee and grow a successful football program. Basketball he can't take complete credit since the women's team has been on cruise control and the men's already had 4 nattys prior to him coming (he can take credit for landing Hurley).

Reaction Score
Take this post to the women’s forum!

All kidding aside I would wager that most of the fans interested in the men’s basketball team have little or no interest in the women’s team or in watching them. It’s not exciting for them.

It doesn’t arouse their male combative nature. Perhaps condescension is the wrong word. The point is UConn men’s basketball will lose the majority of it’s fans if the excitement of the game is focused in the power conference format in whatever form they choose. You know this. You expressed in this forum two weeks ago we needed desperately to get into the B12 or the program was doomed. With the pause you’ve turned to a position that everything must go to maintain the program.

We no longer have the BE playing the BIG or Big12 after 2025. It will be only a matter of time they will game who goes to tournaments like Maui. They will do everything to destroy any challenging programs from having success until they become autonomous. Most BE teams will not be getting the best players and just as quickly not have resumes that will support getting an NCAA bid.

This will be a quick death and your desperate recommendation will undermine and destroy any chance to keep the sport we most desire to continue at the forefront of it’s success and notoriety.
What does women's basketball have to do with any of this?

Reaction Score
I’d like to think we stalled out because we refused to give away the shop. But, my instincts are there is an entrenched group of flat-Earthers that a very parochial in the B12.

Reaction Score

Shortcut <

-> It has been a busy summer for PC athletic director Steve Napolillo, who is currently serving as chair of the Big East Athletic Directors, and had to navigate rumors that the league’s top draw, two-time defending national champions UConn, might be lured away to the Big 12’s football money.

So, is Napolillo relieved that UConn and the Big 12 have put their talks on hold?

“That’s going to be a daily story,” Napolillo said last week. “The Big East is a great conference. It is with them, it was without them, and it will be without them again” if they were to leave.

Napolillo said the Big East — and all leagues — are “100 percent looking over our backs” as the power football conferences attempt to recruit marquee programs like UConn. Last week, Boise State, Colorado State, Fresno State, and San Diego State announced plans to leave the Mountain West Conference for the PAC-12.

Providence, which doesn’t have football, has not been approached by any other conferences, Napolillo said.

“It’s really an arms race,” Napolillo said. “We’re just making sure we have our pulse on things.” <-

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom